Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Oh boy, I'm gonna have to reinstall this game I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Catsworth posted:

C2-D4 is great, and one of the best characters of the expansion.

I quite like Darok the Republic traitor, if only because at certain points his voice actor slips and turns into Spotswood from Team America.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

All hail the Jesus droid, enabler of the single-player MMORPG.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Siegkrow posted:

wait what? how DO you make ship droids happy???

Lube. Lots of lube.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Paused posted:

This is essentially echoing the stuff in the Mr Plinket reviews, but would it have been too much to ask for the unstable looking design of the lightsaber in Force Awakens to be a unique thing, and be a visual representation of its user rather than 'saber configuration number 3781 that has been around for millennia in both Jedi and Sith Orders as detailed in wookipedia article https://www.starwarsfans/fuckyou.bs'

It is a unique thing. Kylo Ren's saber is a homebuilt piece of poo poo. The crossguard saber in the game (and in Rebels) is a complete and finished item.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I posted this in the MMO thread a while back (last time I went in on playing this) and some weird poo poo happens between the Old Republic era and 'modern' Star Wars, and the galaxy reverts to the Dark Ages for a while. Whether or not this is canon anymore is totally up to you at this point I think.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Ceebees posted:

Well, Lucas and the story group retconned virtually everything about Jacen and Vergere, particularly making her a delusional sith who was full of poo poo all along, so slapping down pesky Interesting Moral Questions is kind of traditional really.

Yeah it's a shame but it comes from Lucas himself iirc. Maybe now that he's not calling all of the shots anymore there'll be a bit of room for nuance going forward.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I've got a trooper I haven't touched in a while that was kind of following that approach - I was having her follow any order, regardless of morality. Chain of command and all that.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Siegkrow posted:

The BH gets drummed up as the captain of a cannibal pirate crew.

So does the Jedi Knight, it's pretty great.

E: That reminds me - did the JK play through ever wrap up?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

My favorite is the feign death that pops up a colored loot marker. It's random too so sometimes you'll have people who have never seen it before run over and try to click on you because you popped a purple loot marker.

Um the best one is clearly the log that you sit on like a speeder bike

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

wiegieman posted:

The Inquisitor is great because of how unhinged they are. They're here for phenomenal cosmic power and nobody's going to get in the way.

And on the flip side, a light side Inquisitor has some stunningly insightful views on the correct way to interpret the Sith Code. I was really pleasantly surprised.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

I know Atronie and Quinine will have some sort of update, I hope Moon will find time to show off the agent's version (but if not, it's cool), and I sincerely hope we'll see Jolune's mission because the Jedi Consular's is the best of the lot (the Warrior's is the probably worst, unless the Bounty Hunter or Trooper get utterly boned. Again).

Updates are slightly delayed because of overtime at work and some technical trouble. My mouse has decided that sometimes singleclicks mean no clicks at all, and other times it means I'm clicking six times. It sometimes does this while I'm holding the button down or dragging files.

Edit: I will be showing off part of the costume from this arc once we get to the next planet in the chain.

Knight gets an interestingish one - the force ghost of your old master shows up and gives you sort of remedial Jedi training because of your recent brainwashing from the Sith Emperor. It's a nice refreshing "Jedi are supposed to help people" moment.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Hm, cant decide if that outfit is flattering or unflattering.

It's a really good Jedi looking robe but the skirt bit clips through your lightsaber.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

MadDogMike posted:

You gotta admit a Miraluka wearing an eyepatch is funnier anyway.

Heh, how many outfits DON'T clip through weapons?

Most of the ones I've bothered to account unlock :colbert:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

He's what.

Nooo they made Revan hetero

Revan and Bastille made a little Revan who eventually made Satele, who made Theron, who is a poo poo child who cannot Force.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Haha get dunked on Lana

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Nice hat.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

They chose to make Force Scream into Force Kamehameha at high levels. They absolutely could've made it a close-range lightning bolt instead, but Bioware seems terrified of making the warrior less like Darth Vader, and Vader never used lightning.

Because he didn't have loving hands.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

'cause he's been dead for something like a thousand years.

Well you see Exar Kun's spirit is trapped on Yavin IV as is CLEARLY shown in Kevin J Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy and then shown again in Michael A Stackpole's I, Jedi, in which Corran Horn blows him up with a proton torpedo.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Inferior posted:

A cute touch in the battle against Revan is that Satele Shan can use Battle Meditation just like her grandmother- it has the effect of quadrupling your Max HP, which is nifty.

The Revan battle in general is a neat idea, even if it is a bit tedious in practice- it's nice to see your allies actually do something for a change instead of leaving it all up to you. Revan has monstrously high HP, so it really does take a collective effort to finally beat him down.

I guess Revan being both an arrogant brute and a kindly Jedi is a meta reference to KOTOR's two endings. Disappointing that his final appearance in the franchise is him explaining what a fuckup he is and then disappearing though. He could at least have dropped some enigmatic advice before he left.

It's a better fate than KOTOR 2's Exile, who gets killed offscreen and then appears only in cutscenes for a mid-game Flashpoint. Her killer gets better treatment as a Knight companion.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Revanites already existed as a sort of doomsday cult ("One day, Revan will return to lead us!"). He just took them over and changed how they did business.

Never meet your heroes.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Nice new outfit. The collar's a bit ostentatious though.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

I wish, but that'd probably just get Theron executed.

And?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Rorahusky posted:

I'll be honest, I really dislike Star Wars' over-reliance on Superweapons. It's like bad writers don't know how to increase the stakes in their story without whipping out some Galactic doomsday weapon, because they're desperately trying to mimic the first Trilogy.

This is a huge burn on The Force Awakens.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Glazius posted:

...where exactly did he set up this emergency backup empire? The outer rim?

Wild Space, wherever the gently caress that is.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

The Eternal Empire's greatest weapon is the fearsome combination of corridors and expendable grunts.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Vaylin makes more sense if you think of her less as Valkorion's daughter and more as his pet cat.

'Pet' implies some level of affection.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Just where is she applying that force choke?

Both ends. It's an advanced technique David Carradine didn't quite master.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Oh no, will our hero (and Mort) escape?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also I can't believe Koth forgot to blow the docking clamps. That was like, step 2 of stealing a super star destroyer in the EU books (the first being 'be Boba Fett')

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Occasionally I like to imagine KOTET as a better game.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Does this get any better?

It does eventually end, yes.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Cythereal posted:

These scripted cutscenes fights are mildly amusing if you're a non-Force class. Instead of a drawn-out lightsaber duel, your character just pulls out a pistol and shoots the opponent a whole lot until they finally get a shot past the saber.

Fuuuuuuuuck this really should have been a standalone game.

I'm pretty sure I raised this in the main thread during my last brief relapse on playing this game, but TOR is crying out to be remade into a single player RPG. Instead of companion characters, run it like this LP: each main character is a member of the party, and they do. cool things together. It would work so much better. That way, you'd avoid dumb poo poo like the above quote.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Paused posted:

They really started to loose me when Poptarts hit the sewer stage and he had to find 'the lady of Sorrows' (Who'd I guessed was a returning character, but was hoping for Vette...) which consisted of following a breadcrumb trail of npcs who get killed by the time you meet the person they directed you too.
I'm not sure what would be worse; that clan who worshiped Snakes to be introduced to immediately be rendered irrelevant, or they'll pop back up. To say Snakes should rule.

I dunno; there seems to be some potentially good stuff in here. The possession bit is novel, and the party dynamic of 'everyone hates one another' could be ok depending on how it goes. I like the Senya going against her family bit in theory... It's just; everything feels flat?

Not sure I've figured out why; I'm no writer. I think its just Zakull itself? It feels like a Sonic the Hedgehog Fan created character thats a civilization rather than a re colour of Shadow. It's a perfect civilization, but its not, and its all conquering despite the fact its never apparently tried to conquer anything.

Maybe it's just the episodic nature of this expansion. In the first threads the LP'ers could just gently caress of to wherever to just dick around. My fave updates were just when a couple of players met up and pissed each other off. Which is impossible here.

Here's the thing: Zakuul would be awesome if it was the actual Big Bad alluded to in KOTOR 1 and 2. Unfortunately, because TOR had to emulate WoW, we got a dumb Sith Empire in conflict with the Republic, followed by a weird new Empire in the expansion.

Coming back to my fantasy single player RPG remake from last night, what if the game started with your party (Let's say Theron the Smuggler, Lana Beniko the Sith Lord, Kira Carsen the Jedi and 4X the amazing Republic Propaganda War Droid) get thrown together by Plot Device and travel to the distant and mysterious Empire of Zakuul, where they met Revan and the Exile and the Knight Plot happens pretty much beat for beat, ending with the Emperor 'dying' and bits of the KOTET plot kicking off from there.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Xerophyte posted:

I liked the tournament, it's about the only part of TOR that doesn't fall into the usual MMO trap of deciding that only group content is allowed to be even remotely complicated. Sure, it's just cloning wow's Brawler's Guild, but still as fun as fighting things gets and about the only hard thing I've done in the game since doing the final Jedi Knight story fight two weeks after release¹.

¹ Said fight gave a huge sense of satisfaction at the time as an appropriate cap to the plot, but it was goddamn brutal. The final story mission for the Jedi Knight is a very, very long assault on Dromund Kaas, culminating in a climactic fight with the emperor which I don't believe the LP ever did because R'andayn ended up burning out on Correlia. The only companion you could bring was T7, who was your ranged tank companion and so generally had no gear because ranged tanks are bad (which was unfortunate, since T7 and 4X were the best of robot sidekicks). The emperor had things like casts that you must interrupt or be instantly killed and generally very murdery on anyone pre raidgear, which at the time was everyone. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, especially for people who always ran with a healer companion.

Most people ended up cheesing him with fall damage -- you could kite him to a pit and force push him in so he died, which is honestly kind of Star Wars-appropriate for evil emperors -- but he was legit beatable in the initial gear if you knew what was coming and spent some of the Corellia commendations gearing up T7, although it would probably take a few tries. It was a great cap to the most overt Big drat Hero plotline the release game if you were prepared/good/lucky enough and won, and a miserable anticlimax if you just got repeatedly smashed into the ground so they nerfed the hell out of it a bit later. It's nice that the game has something like it again, just significantly less plot mandatory.

They patched that fight by the time I finished my JK so that just before the Emperor, you could loot a dead droid of a full set of endgame gear. Now, of course, you can just set T7 to heal and mash your 17 attack buttons.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

GuyUpNorth posted:

Is that "dead droid" before or after (IIRC) the puzzle that had T7 gear? I started playing long enough after and never finished JK to top it off.

I don't remember a puzzle, I'm fairly sure I just right clicked on a droid corpse.

Also, wait - this thread never saw the climax to the Jedi story?

Coq au Nandos fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 8, 2017

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Interest check: would there be any point in me showing off the final act of the JK story? Seeing as this whole game is about the Sith Emperor and all.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Catsworth posted:

I ended up recording the end of Corellia and finale for the JK sometime last year but have been busy and never got around to putting it together and now it's all on my old computer. I say go for it unless PTN really has a hankering to do it himself.

You could always do it again and have me re-voice the cutscenes. :devil:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Found you a solution, PTN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Buy one of those motion control Wiimote-style mice, bind different motions to your hotbar and start larping TOR.

• Locked thread