Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
My personal favorite ending choice (though wildly out of character for Mort) is telling the dying Jedi boss to just shut up already and stomp on his face to kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

LifeofaGuardian posted:

I actually liked Tanno Vik, he's sleazy and amoral but he was a lot more level-headed in the conversations I got with him than the other dark-side companions.

Tanno fits better than most of the dark side NPCs because "greedy war profiteer/looter" is a traditional character type in war stories, so it was relatively easy to come up with a way to write him because that kind of sleaze-bag working with more honorable soldiers has been done a lot. Add M1-4X for the "my country über alles" who follows orders no matter what, and DS trooper is pretty much well set for appropriate companions. Honestly trooper in general plays really interesting as dark side, particularly the "follow all orders" type.

Cythereal posted:

Eh, Mako actually is a pretty solid professional - she loves it when you're greedy, but she tends to get peeved when you don't do what you're hired to do. Most of the dark side decisions she approves of are ones where it's what you were hired to do, like the Rakata device in the Tatooine storyline where the good option is to say it's too dangerous and destroy it, but the dark side option is to bring it back for the Empire. You were hired for the latter, so it's what Mako approves of. She's pretty consistent about it throughout the game - get money, and do what you were hired for.

Yeah, Mako was pretty consistent; some version of "so, how much money will you pay if I do this?" response always got her approval consistently. Given she strikes me as the one handling the actual logistics of the bounty hunter (Who else could really? Only other financially minded BH companion is Gault, and he would skim like a madman from the profits), it makes sense she likes a BH who sticks to being ruthlessly pragmatic about payment.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Gnome de plume posted:

Is that guy in the back doing the Stuck In An Invisible Box routine?

Pirates and mimes. Truly this is a hive of scum and villainy.

TOR has a bunch of items that replace the default animation of your regen ability with other various animations, and one of them actually does have the PC do the "mime inside an invisible box" routine. Naturally I gave the one I got to my dark side Sith Warrior as proof of her utter evil. Might copy it to my DS Jedi Counselor too since I'm amusing myself by making her look as evil as possible (leaving the "dark side screws up your face" setting on, riding one of the Empire throne mounts, etc.) to see just how hilariously it messes up the Counselor storyline to have everybody frantically ignoring just what their chosen one is.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Paused posted:

So how much does Vik give you there? Enough for a pack of space gum or even less? I'm going to guess it doesn't even give half of the amount needed for one of the gifts you need to give him to trigger it, after telling him to gently caress off in every conversation.

Dr. Deduun wasn't that Hutt on Republic Makeb was it?

They changed the companion happiness stuff and conversations, so you don't actually have to bribe them up to get their companion conversations, they're now gated to where you are in story. They also set it up so "such and so disapproves" actually gives influence, just less than an approve response. Influence is just a factor in how strong companions are at this point.

And no, not the Hutt doctor, that was Doctor Oggorob(sp?). While the Republic has sanity/ethical issues, they didn't really outsource a top secret battle droid's development (this time, anyway).

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

LifeofaGuardian posted:

I... actually didn't know this yet. Huh. Guess I've wasted a fuckton of credits on quests for companion gifts then.

Well, it DOES upgrade their stats, which helps with content once it's high enough. Three people plus a high influence companion set to heal seems to work better than four players in an instance for example, and the endgame solo content pretty much needs a high influence companion, though at that point high level gifts are relatively easy to get. Note also that influence is the ONLY factor in companion stats now, gear just controls appearance (much to the delight of all the jackasses wanting nude companions no doubt). Between that and being able to set tank/DPS/heal roles on companions, they wanted to set it up so you could pick a favorite companion and do everything with them if you wanted, and by and large they succeeded.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Of course, one of the issues with "opsec" is that the primary fact Garza wants classified is that most of her Special Forces units just went bye-bye to the Imps. Kinda political considerations over national security issues here.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was saving that hat to be completely out of place on Yavin! :argh:

Oh well. Great minds and all that.

You gotta admit a Miraluka wearing an eyepatch is funnier anyway.

SKY COQ posted:

It's a really good Jedi looking robe but the skirt bit clips through your lightsaber.

Heh, how many outfits DON'T clip through weapons?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PoptartsNinja posted:

Jos and Valk are in that last section of cutscene (they're the two Mandalorians supporting one another), so apparently you can.

Non-joke answer: they're wearing Cortosis armor or something so Mort's basically hitting them with a big glowing stick until they pass out.

Mandolorian iron supposedly resists lightsabers if my nerd knowledge serves me, and in any event making lightsaber resistant stuff is apparently popular back in the TOR era given the high number of Force users running around (KOTOR 1 had a bit about that at the start, and I imagine 300 years later hasn't changed much). By the prequel trilogy era of course you were a trifle shorter on lightsaber wielding enemies unless you were a criminal, and regulating all the cortosis and such would be easy enough (especially after millennia of mining the stuff) and after that no lightsabers period for most folks.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Heh, I will grant Lana is a fun romance (died laughing in the last chapter of KOTFE when she bitched about how my character always picked the worst times to kiss her) but man that's kind of a pushy sell. Given the frequent complaints I've heard about Bioware romances I do have to grant Theron/Lana at least lack the problematic subtext of most of the other relationship options; they are very much treated as more or less equals and they're certainly mentally healthy adults.

Although since we've gotten Battle of Rishi, may I say gently caress the hard mode version of that flashpoint's final boss. It summons adds that pretty much melted my group repeatedly the one chance I tried for the Dark vs Light achievement from there, ridiculous how much harder it is than most of the operations/raids I've done. Then again at least it's not giving me a "Detail Data Missing" thing preventing me from getting two levels of the Dark vs Light achievement done like Manaan at the moment *sigh*.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PoptartsNinja posted:

Marr and Malgus are both surprisingly reasonable, pragmatic Sith, so they both work. I just feel that using Malgus--who had a long working relationship with all the player classes thanks to flashpoint missions--would've made more sense than a guy who's worked with the agent or bounty hunter precisely once, on Makeb. Marr's reaction to the Emperor's Wrath telling him his fleet's full of traitors is reasonable. Marr doing the same thing for some Randolorian Bounty Hunter who's working pro-bono and calling from a known pirate nest is... a bit less so.

Story-wise the Bounty Hunter has (storyline spoiler) removed the original Supreme Chancellor from power, and Marr specifically says Tormen mentioned you in the BH Makeb intro and by this time you've supposedly cleared Makeb AND Oricon for Marr. He has plenty of reason to respect and listen to a bounty hunter PC at this point; Marr loves competence and the BH has shown it in spades.

Cythereal posted:

According to one interview with Bioware, here's the rub: they were not expecting Imperial players to like Malgus so much or want to side with him. They were fully expecting Imperial players to trend strongly towards the dark side and not feel a whiff of remorse about killing Malgus. When the player base turned out to really like Malgus and think he had great ideas, they changed tack and brought in Marr to play to that idea of the Empire that a lot of players liked.

Guessing at least some of the writers thought about it since you did have the option to say something to the effect of "I agree with the general idea but not your methods" in the final Malgus flashpoint. Why the hell they thought the dark side response WOULDN'T be to betray the rest of the Sith for a high place in Malgus's Empire is beyond me though.

koolkevz666 posted:

I'm not sure why people seem to think it wouldn't be a smart thing to spy on the Republic. Peace hasn't been achieved and the Empire and the Republic are still at war. Yes Revan needs to be defeated but the combined forces should be more than enough and in the end it will be up to the heroes anyway, in the meantime you can spy and get intel on the Republic for later strikes. It is the same thing with the A gun choice earlier on Rishi. It was clear that Revan's main advantage was his spies among the fleets with them gone his fleet of traitors are outnumbered so using the guns to target the Republic means that Revan is still beaten and you have weakened the Republic who are still your main enemy.

Main problem with these choices is the light side and dark side results. Is it dark side to target the ships of your main enemy just because you have a cease fire with them? Though at the time of that choice the two sides are still fully at war.

As the LS choice indicates, you're also sacrificing improved performance towards your main goal (getting sensor data for taking out Revan) in favor of trying to get an edge on the Republic/Empire. Keeping an eye on the enemy is one thing, doing it at the expense of paying attention to the primary goal is another.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Lord_Magmar posted:

Your hat choice is the best, it makes the so done with everything expression that Mort appears to have as default look especially fed up with the galaxies stupidity.

The picture of him just blankly standing there after the guy said he would sacrifice him for the Emperor was the perfect reaction shot in that regard :).

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

M_Sinistrari posted:

Granted I kinda speed ran through SoR for the DvL event so I likely missed something, but how did Mort get a Bogstalker companion?

There are various companions available from the buyable supply packs, the Bogstalker is one of them. Not really an in-game story thing, just something you can get if you spend real money on the game and/or in-game money in the auction house and have nice RNG luck.

Cythereal posted:

You're confusing to a degree the Emperor and the Empire. No one on the Dark Council feels any loyalty to the Emperor and most of the Sith and Imperial leadership are quite happy the Emperor's been gone for a while. Baras may have claimed to be the Emperor's Voice, but like Malgus he more importantly threatened to destabilize the Empire itself when the Empire is already reeling from the Republic's advances. Marr and the other Imperials don't care so much about the Emperor as they do about preserving the Empire.

Honestly everybody in the upper echelons of the Empire had very little loyalty to the Emperor to begin with, being Sith (i.e. deliberately treacherous jerks) or normal people with similar personalities as a rule. Main way the Emperor maintained power was the threat he'd destroy anybody the least bit out of line. Now that he's going to kill off even those who serve him, what motivation do they have to support him?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Calax posted:

Actually I wasn't referring to that explicitly. I was referring to the Tales of the Jedi comic series where Exar Kun enacted a ritual that would ensure he had eternal life. Except instead of actually staying alive he ate the life force of the Massassi (at the time, all of them... oh retcons) but due to interference from every Jedi in the galaxy, he became a force ghost while the temple was engulfed in flames

So, by rights, right now he should be a force ghost going "Mwahahahaha" while the PC is running around the old temple.

KOTFE recruitment mission spoiler - He is here, the device in question seems to be intended for HIM to come back, the Emperor is just hijacking it. Once it gets blown up, he's stuck until KJA happens. Find out some of the details when you recruit the Dashade/Khem Val substitute since he got placed on Yavin IV for reasons related to Exar Kun. Guess at the moment he's still asleep or smart enough not to get involved in this mess.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PoptartsNinja posted:

It gets so much better dumber!

To be fair it's SUPPOSED to be the Republic being too stupid to live here by getting involved. Too be fair, Ziost is an important world to the Sith Empire (waaay back when it was their capital until Star Wars Continuity happened, and I understand it's still pretty economically important) so it makes a certain sense why the Emperor targeted it for maximum carnage value and the Republic is interested.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
So, at last we reach the shocking conclusion to Ziost. Gotta admit the first time I saw the planet die was a disturbing moment, though it does beg the question of WHY the Emperor was screwing around up till then, unless maybe he needed all those kills to build up the power to do that (which admittedly fits with stuff from the Jedi Knight story, he needed mass casualties on various worlds to build up to full "eat the galaxy" mode, lesser carnage fueling "kill a single planet" makes some sense). Unfortunately KOTFE kinda squandered the potential here, but still, can't say this didn't work as a "Oh crap, now what do we do?!" ending at the time for me.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Calax posted:

The big thing that kills the power fantasy for me within ToR is that you (or Mort or whomever) is powerful enough to have taken down the local demigods and can, theoretically, summon an entire battlefleet to handle any issue... but still takes an inordinate amount of time to kill a bog standard trooper for either side. I realize that some of it is technological limitations, and some of it is balancing issues, but for me personally, it stopped playing to my power fantasy around the end of act 1 or 2 for most characters. By comparison, City of Heroes, I could throw down as a Super Strength Brute and knock half the (Lost>Rikti) across the allyway to slam into the next building over, with at least two or three guys going down in just two hits.

Still, I have to give TOR credit for beating out Star Wars Galaxies in this regard; the non-combat stuff in Galaxies was great but having to stick to constantly fighting random wildlife a la the cliche "fighter clearing out a nest of rats" quests and running in terror because a single one of the SAND PEOPLE could beat you into the ground was just plain not Star Wars to me. Maybe it got better at "max level" or with patches/addons, but I wasn't slogging through hours and days of "collect 20 womp rat asses" quests to get there. TOR on the other hand writes and plays the PC as being quite competent from the start even if they aren't uber gods, it's telling even the "basic" Trooper is a sergeant in Special Forces instead of a new recruit.

Bioware RPGs in general are pretty good at avoiding "you begin as a schmuck farm boy/girl" with PCs. Revan and the Exile are experienced Jedi with their former uber nature suppressed for story reasons (KOTR 1 kind of reads like "inexperienced idiot at start", but the later subversion of it I think works better for doing that). Dragon Age the only "scrub" beginnings are generally those in which that's the whole point (i.e. city elf, dwarf commoner, Hawke from family in hiding), Jade Empire you're a gifted martial artist tutored by the greatest warrior in the land, and to quote one thing I read recently, if you told Earth they'd need to pick one person to save the galaxy Sheppard would have been on the short list of logical candidates. I kind of like that design, not only is it a better explanation than "I am the Chosen One" for why NPCs respect you from the start, it's more believable that the reason you can pick up a weapon and smite evil from the start isn't "destiny" but "years of training and experience at doing this kind of thing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cythereal posted:

I found Bowdaar easy enough to get by doing the first five or so guys (up through the vindicator guy with the droids), leaving, and starting over again. Only took an hour or so of grinding on my agent.

Fortunately going in a group also counts for Bowdaar, and since the encounters don't get re-tuned at all from the single player versions the fights become hilariously easy to beat with even one extra PC + companion joining in.

• Locked thread