Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

Explosions in the Maelbeek metro station in Brussels now, apparently. Today started off lovely and will only go downhill.
That's my guess too, operatives seeing their direct leadership getting arrested and the police getting close starting the mission sooner than expected. Was the airport a convenient target or were there something public and important going to happen in Belgium soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

Nothing that I can think of. Salah Abdeslam was arrested recently so maybe they decided to act sooner rather than later. Airports are pretty crowded and I read that they blew up the American Airlines desk specifically, but can't confirm that.
They may have been hibernating, waiting for the Euro 2016/Tour de France/Roland Garros in France to start.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 22, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Hmm when the Jews, Italians and Irish were in isolated, economically disadvantaged neighbourhoods and didn't assimilate into mainstream culture I don't recall them bombing their host nations.
Anarchism was pretty popular amongst italian migrants in France resulting in a few bombs in parisian bars and a dead french president with an Iranian name:

Note that nowadays, members of the FN goes around telling us how we Italian were the good kind of migrants. I wish someone would have told the assholes who drowned around 10 Italians migrant worker and wounded 100+ for stealing french jobs in aigues-mortes a century sooner.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 22, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

An Angry Bug posted:

Fear and hatred towards Muslims is exactly what the terrorists want, you idiots. You're collaborating with them.
The funny thing is that fear and hatred towards Muslims population is exactly what the far right wants too. And they probably think it's so nice that some some member of that their targeted population are actively helping them by resorting to blind violence.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So how about we don't treat the new immigrants like poo poo by socially, economically, and politically isolating them inadvertently ensuring that their decedents to be more prone to extremism?
Well, european countries have treated its european&christian immigrant (read "poor people from nearby, coming in") like poo poo for centuries now. And what a surprise they are treating Muslims migrants (read "poor people from far away, coming in") the same lovely racist way (okay sometime worse). It's not a surprise that the same methods cause in the same problems. And cynically, it's not going to change unless someone find a few billions euro under a rug and spend it to improve everyone conditions in countries with structural unemployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Volkerball posted:

this was the strategy in iraq from 2003-2007.

Except for the little fact that you know... none of the terrorists behind 9-11 where from or in Iraq.

• Locked thread