Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ahahaha the b-roll of the fax machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I thought the Ben's wife joke was that his wives all were nurses who married him in hopes that he'd die? That and the accent stuff, of course.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
At first I thought Ben's wife was a mail-order bride

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Also, really sad that they went the Tom James route. It was not the way I wanted stuff to go.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Great episode. I laughed a lot at "That's the least reassurimg sentence since it's ok it's just the tip". And at the car crash on the stop sign before the school kids.

Hollismason posted:

There's a ton of bonus scenes on the Kissing your Sister website.

https://www.kissingyoursisterfilm.com/bonusscenes/

Huh, it seems like they have added quite a few new ones. It was like half these videos when I last checked.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Can someone help out a goon with bad memory? I already forgot how American politics work. Why is the Senate going to hand the presidency to Tom James?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

waitwhatno posted:

Can someone help out a goon with bad memory? I already forgot how American politics work. Why is the Senate going to hand the presidency to Tom James?

It's not how it really works, the show is just simplifying it for comedy.

Real life: the Senate picks the Vice President-elect. The House would keep voting until someone got 26. If Inauguration Day came, Tom would become Acting President and the House would keep re-voting. When someone finally gets 26, they would be President and Tom would be Vice President.

In the show: the House vote only happens once, so if no one wins, the Vice-president-elect becomes the President-elect.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 21, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Keep in mind that this is a theoretical scenario which never happened before.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh my god. I don't want Tim Simons to be typecast as the insufferable inept jerk but... he's just so loving good at it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I wish someone would do a compilation of all the Jonah scenes with Peter MacNicol. For some reason Jonah's ridiculousness is so much funnier with MacNicol there, ready to scream at him. Every scene with those two has been fantastic this season.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Air is lava! posted:

The vote was not even close. Even if all three abstainers had voted for Selina, the result would have been the same. O'Malley actually secured 25 votes. Otherwise Jonahs vote would have been useless either way.
Which was kind of surprising because they thought they were gonna win last week it seemed like. I guess if not for the abstentions they were at 25 and maybe one of the two people promised Sec of State turned because they found out, or I'm just making up stuff really.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
This episode was great but it felt more like a nightmare version of Parks and Rec than earlier episodes. New showrunner I guess :)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
New Hampshire has two congressmen so Jonah turning would have just led to an abstention anyway. Well, assuming delegate counts are the same as IRL of course, anyway.

Yeah, the show gets a lot of process stuff wrong.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So would the Senate just vote FOR a vice president (separate from the top of the ticket) or would they be choosing the next President? And if the Senate were deadlocked like the House, would that then lead to the current VP acting as President. Oy.

I'd say this is all pie in the sky, but there's lots of ways for a tie to happen with our current math. Lots.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Narcissus1916 posted:

So would the Senate just vote FOR a vice president (separate from the top of the ticket) or would they be choosing the next President? And if the Senate were deadlocked like the House, would that then lead to the current VP acting as President. Oy.

I'd say this is all pie in the sky, but there's lots of ways for a tie to happen with our current math. Lots.

They just vote for a vice president, they don't have to be from the same ticket or even the same party.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Narcissus1916 posted:

In reality, the Senate just votes for Veep. They're effectively voting for president in the show due to how the show changed the rules.

A deadlock in the Senate is extremely unlikely since representatives voting evenly differently in a state delegation is what creates abstentions and senators vote individually. But if that were to happen, I guess the Speaker of the House would become Acting President on Inauguration Day.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Lycus posted:

It's not how it really works, the show is just simplifying it for comedy.

Real life: the Senate picks the Vice President-elect. The House would keep voting until someone got 26. If Inauguration Day came, Tom would become Acting President and the House would keep re-voting. When someone finally gets 26, they would be President and Tom would be Vice President.

In the show: the House vote only happens once, so if no one wins, the Vice-president-elect becomes the President-elect.
Since the Speaker is in league with Tom, they mentioned that he would only allow the one vote to be held. Now that would probably be of questionable constitutionality as well, and there are ways for the House to force a vote without the Speaker, but it was addressed.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Amy said Tom could serve 12 years since he wouldn't be elected to the presidency, but that's not true; he'd still be termed out after 8 in this scenario. That's a joke that could've been cut at no loss, so it's kind of weird for them to write it.

*pushes glasses up nose* politics, you see

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm not sure of that in this fictional scenario. If the Speaker blocked the vote for two years, won reelection and remained Speaker for another two, the acting president is still only technically a vice president for that period. I think where the show gets it wrong is that there would absolutely be a primary after four years.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think where the show gets it wrong is that there would absolutely be a primary after four years.

There would be a primary, Selena just knows President James would win handily if she tried to go against him.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I hate to say this but I had a real life conversation about this scenario.

In real life, HoC elects president, senate elects vice, and HoC has massive incentive to just come to a loving conclusion.

Honestly, I think it would be most hilarious to see Tom James Vice, O'Brien pres, and Selena relegated to the trenches of executive minority. But that's just me and it's not going to happen. President James and Veep Meyer will continue the series and as long as it's funny it'll stick around. Veep doesn't have term limits.

Question: Did she get into the Oval Office with more or less than a half term to go?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Propaganda Machine posted:

Question: Did she get into the Oval Office with more or less than a half term to go?

Less. The primary was going on when POTUS resigned.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It would be funny if James gets impeached and she almost immediately becomes president again, I guess. They did set up all that corruption stuff.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Oh, heh, Catherine did use the B-roll of the fax machine, I missed that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_muYXDXD_8

Lord Hydronium posted:

Since the Speaker is in league with Tom, they mentioned that he would only allow the one vote to be held. Now that would probably be of questionable constitutionality as well, and there are ways for the House to force a vote without the Speaker, but it was addressed.

I completely missed that. I guess in real life, Selina and O'Brien could take it to the Supreme Court and force re-votes, but this is a comedy and the Jonah stuff is funnier.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 22, 2016

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Goddamn the Jonah stuff sure is funny

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I hope Mike doesnt get fired, he's my favorite character

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Pron on VHS posted:

I hope Mike doesnt get fired, he's my favorite character

I have a feeling this isn't the end of Mike McShittock.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
It's not gonna happen but I'd love to see Mike bumble his way through a week at Purcell's lobbying firm like Dan & Amy did.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Mike is clearly the most incompetent out of the major cast. I'd love to see him in the private sector too, falling forever upward.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

If Jonah managed to come back to the White House, Mike can find a way.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Isn't mike actually pretty good at giving press conferences?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume that either now that Selina isn't prez Mike will keep his job or that President Tom James will keep him on or assign him to Jonah's old job or something just to torture Selina.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

e X posted:

Isn't mike actually pretty good at giving press conferences?
He's very good at being a bumbling idiot who takes a lot of poo poo from the press, which is in itself kind of a useful skill when dealing with reporters. As seen in the Helsinki episode where Dan tries to do Mike's job but fails miserably.

He's not very good at the actual spin doctor type stuff that would theoretically be his job if Selina and the rest of her staff weren't keeping him on the shortest of leashes.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 23, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mike will always be the spokesman of my heart. Also, imagine if they had acted on his intel instead of ignoring it like they did. Could have been enough time to either end the insurrection or plan for it.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
I always root for Mike cause that would optimistically be my performance level if I had a high-pressure job like that.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

His gut instinct was right about there being a secret meeting about him. :unsmith:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Mike's glee at his mustache dye job

Mike's confusion at the special detail under Kent to do math stuff

Mike's Civil War goober peas song

are all up there in the funniest moments in Veep, I love Mike, I am Mike

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

"... I think some guy hosed a monkey." :confused:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Selina becoming President again through the incompetence of others and replacing a incredibly popular president would be fantastic. Like she just keeps getting "half" terms as President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He could always work for Jonah...

• Locked thread