Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

When I saw my dog's petfinder page the rescue had a video of him posted where he was waggling his dumb little nub and I knew I had to have him.

Love this woggle doggle and his silly butt flag :3:

The front end is pretty ridiculous too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

joat mon posted:

This is Fell, Leader of Goats

Anti Gravity Goats.

Goats :kimchi:

My goats aren't impressed with Major.

He prefers the sheep anyway.

The sheep are always impressed with how stylish he is and who doesn't like that?

He is a pretty handsome dog I guess.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Man, Major is rocking those dapper outfi-

Does that dog have his own monogrammed scarf? :stare:

He does because he was modeling it for a dog scarf etsy store. Just to be clear, I did not seek out and purchase a dog scarf (but I do think it looks dashing on him :3: )

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

cash crab posted:

I am very anxious. Please show me sleepy animals.

So very sleepy.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Smoking Crow posted:

Please post cute sheep for me please

Brace yourself.

Those are just this year's cute sheep. I have a whole thread in PI for my farm packed full of cute sheep pictures.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Inzombiac posted:

Man, I just saw the ASPCA dog fighting commercial and now I'm sad as poo poo. I need to see happy rescue pups.

I've posted all these pictures before but my rescue mutt is pretty darn happy. He was returned to the rescue twice before I got him but I've had him 6 years now and can't imagine my life without him. Part of me is sad that someone dumped him and then he kept getting returned but if he didn't go through that he wouldn't have ended up here so I guess it's ok. I'm pretty sure he's glad that he ended up on 16 acres where he can murder vermin all day and then force me to go to bed at 9 so he can snuggle too.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My local zoo did an experiment testing the stress hormone levels in "demo" animals (they piloted the study with armadillos) that the public gets to interact with compared to the same species just kept on exhibit. They found that animals that are used to being on public display are actually got more stressed when taken off their demo rounds and were put on exhibit instead. They're now doing a much more extensive study to make sure all the demo animal species are happy and comfortable in their role. I also found out that they were tested for high levels of stress hormones regularly even before the study because they really want to be sure their animals are happy :3:

Yay for happy armadillos!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Smoking Crow posted:

i'm sick, can i have some cute farm animals

Sure thing.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

In the meantime, the "Tell America It's Great" campaign by our lovely northern neighbors has really lifted my spirits today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/10/18/canada-ad-campaign-tell-america-its-great/92352720/

I didn't know I needed this today but I really needed this today :3:

Thanks for being a friend, Canada!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Little sheep big blep.

Big sheep little blep.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Throwing Turtles posted:

There's a hidden happy story here as well. All five of her owners took the time to return the cat to the shelter instead of just abandoning the cat.

That's a great point! My dog was returned to the rescue by two different people before I adopted him and I'm really happy they made that decision. He is absolutely not the dog for everybody but he turned out to be a really great dog for me and my farm. The rescue lady I talked to said she never minds when dogs come back because it just means they haven't found the right home and the people just haven't found the right dog yet :3:

Major is a sensitive soul so it's too bad he had so much chaos in his life but he's pretty happy about how things turned out.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Lambing season started off a little rough but it's getting cuter by the day.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

drrockso20 posted:

Otters are one of those kinds of animal that I'm surprised humans didn't try to domesticate at some point

There's an indigenous group in Bangladesh that have used otters to help fish for centuries. It's in decline but you can still go and visit the otter fishermen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsQJrkcODJs

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My dog and I take dog classes online because he's brilliant and loves learning but also hates all other dogs and car rides. One of the classes last session involved teaching your dog how to learn through mimicry and they posted this compilation of the dogs showing off their new skills. It made me so happy to see everyone having so much fun! My favorite is the dog in foreground at 4:03 showing that he can do it too :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQC99pzpD34

It's based on Claudia Fugazza's work in Italy and she has a whole channel of dogs learning that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC40ktPZovMjkswsXxVB7NWg

Dogs are just the best.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Today was Major's 7 year adoption anniversary so he got cake and steak. Tomorrow he needs to go to the vet for a booster but then we're going hiking. He is a very good dog and I'm glad he ended up with me and not the two other families that adopted him before me.

I also commissioned his portrait because the artist was raising money for some medical stuff. I was happy to give her money in exchange for her telling me how handsome my dog is. He is a very handsome dog :kimchi:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Beachcomber posted:

Sometimes you can look at a dog, and read its name, and be like "yes, that's correct".

He came with the name but I couldn't think of anything that fit him better.

Rexxed posted:

The artist's etsy link. Gotta admit, I'm tempted. Those are nice pet portraits.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/PetSketchPortraits?ref=l2-shopheader-name

She's super duper fast too! Mine was done less than 12 hours after I ordered it including making a little change I wanted.

Her instagram page is a pro follow if you like awesome dogs.

For content here is Hector the very sleepy amur tiger at the Cleveland zoo. He kept nodding off until his nose went under and then waking up suddenly like the water was conspiring against him.

Also a giant blep.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

A hyper-realistic drawing of Major done by a fellow PI goon back in the day.

Based on this picture of him enforcing the local no fly zone.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Alter Ego posted:

Now I need to see a gif of it hopping.

Like a giant cotton ball being tossed about by the wind.

Not a gif but maybe this'll do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQFBSiimlug

Fun fact, some varieties of angora rabbit get to be 10+ lbs. I took one of our french angoras to the vet and it was bigger than several cats there. Also they're super chill and friendly :3:

Edit:
Here's another great cloudbun video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUZgEFRoIX8

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Dennis McClaren posted:

I thought my pupper was exceptionally precious this morning

She's exceptionally precious all the time :kimchi: What an awesome dog.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

As someone who spent 3 years in undergrad studying spotted salamanders I can confirm that ambystomids are the best.

So smol :kimchi:

Also they can live into their teens and 20s! They get to be big chunkies.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

They said happy, Major!

That's better.

Also a happy sheep.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Major looks so drat distinguished in his monogrammed scarf. Does he like wearing it?

He's half saint bernard so he really never gets cold or wants to wear cozy things but he's totally fine wearing anything I put on him.

Well, maybe not anything.

Also I almost forgot my favorite snow picture ever.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My mother has asked me to notify you that Major is fancy rich people dog painting level handsome.

:kimchi:

drrockso20 posted:

Agreed, also IJ you need to share withvthis thread the new puppy you'll be getting soon like you did in the Baby Farm Animal thread

Ok!

Here's Major's reinforcements coming on the 18th. She's a working great pyrenees who was literally born in a barn and has been rolling around with goats her whole life.

She'll be in charge of sheep and barnyard supervision while Major manages the house and making sure I go to bed on time.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It was puppy pickup day! I spent almost 13 hours in the car but I thought you would like pictures of this pure and perfect angel. She slept the entire ride home and didn't potty in the car and settled right in the barn like she was born there. She's also the cutest, softest baby in the universe :kimchi:

At one point during the ride she got hiccups and it was so cute I nearly died.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

1stGear posted:

major and the puppy Major and the Puppy MAJOR AND THE PUPPY

He has Feelings about dogs so we're going really, really slowly with introductions.

A cute story I forgot when I posted yesterday: I had stop and trim hooves for a sheep farmer on my way home from picking her up and the guy is this huge Croatian man who spent the whole time gently cradling my puppy in his giant bear hands speaking baby talk to her :3: I almost didn't get her back.

Who could resist that face?

Or da belleh?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Alter Ego posted:

You have to stop posting or I will come kidnap your puppy, just fyi

(What is she? She's adorable!)

She's a working great pyrenees. She is very concerned about the state of the world.

Also sometimes she tumbles.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Isn't their idea of 'work' just 'living with sheep' though. They don't even herd the sheep, they just hang out with them.

They just chill until a coyote (or wolf, or bear, or eagle, or mountain lion, or snow leopard, or cheetah, or jackal, etc.) shows up looking for an easy meal. They're a great way to prevent losses and eliminate the need for hunting/trapping/poisoning important predators and they're used all over the world to reduce human-wildlife conflict. They are good and important puffballs and research articles about them have the best pictures :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Where can I read this story?

It's ok, she and her husband are both very tall!

There are show pyrs that would be happy to be a throw rug but working animals really want to be outside with their animal buds. They are super independent and don't really care about what you have to say in the matter. A couple other PI lgd owners have had their dogs try to chew through a wall because they needed to go potty outside and no one was there to let them out and clearly that was the shortest route.

Anyway, I wrote a paper on lgd use in conservation missions and here are some cute puppies from the literature I read.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh wow that thread is incredible.

"I'm 6'0 I can totally control a 100lb+ dog!!"

"Obviously my kids will stay in their pens and never interact with this dog for 5+ years!"

:laffo:

:ohdear:

I'm sad it doesn't include the followup where we found her posting on another site about getting the puppy some (large) rabbits to guard because it was obsessively guarding a tree from birds and other plants only like 9 weeks after she got him.

stereobreadsticks posted:

I'm choosing to interpret this adjective as standing for "Large Good Dogs." I know I'm probably wrong but I don't especially need anyone to correct me.

Livestock guardian dog, but I like your version better :3:

Maremmas are real great if you have actual livestock for them to guard.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Major got a big box from our secret santa, Fluffy Bunnies, yesterday and I made him share a cookie with the baby. She had no idea what to do with it but had a great time crunching it into pieces and then dropping those pieces onto me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUaSen5vSkA

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

This puppy is just too much, I can't take it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

porkswordonboard posted:

Forgive me if this has already been covered, Instant Jellyfish. Is her name Mina so it's like Major -> Minor (Mina?)

Yep, but I pronounce it Me-nuh not Mynah just to be confusing. She really just responds to PUPPYPUPPYPUPPY at this point though.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

AcetylCoA! posted:

She needs her own monogrammed scarf for the inevitable family photos with Major.
Do the sheep like her?

The sheep are undecided, except for Flirt, who loves all babies, and Jazz, who is 12 and just doesn't give a poo poo. The goats are horrified and disgusted.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Love the baby :love:

Still the cutest puffball in the world despite being a big 20 lb chunker.

She turned 8 weeks and became the sassiest girl. It cracks me up.

Dashing through the snow

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Mina got the hiccups. Please forgive my dark barn and clunky phone case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AywMws-3dio

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

ro5s posted:

Every dog hiccup is precious.

Also, she looks like she's going to be huuuuuuuuge :stare:

She was 22 lbs at 9 weeks old, she's ten weeks today and she has to be at least 25 lbs. I'll plop her on the livestock scale later to find out.

She learned what a leash was last night and hated it. Philip the sheep was unsympathetic.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I thought at least 25 lbs but she was 26 lbs on the nose. We took a trip to tractor supply to celebrate being a giant baby and a dude there asked if she was going to get much bigger. I just laughed. Every time I put her size into one of those adult weight calculator the estimate goes up by 5-10 lbs.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I didn't know Grant Morrison had a cat.

Meanwhile, I'm sick. Can I have puppies.

Mina was 26lbs at 10 weeks and I'm guessing she'll crack 30 this week. She's a huge, giant puppy.

Major has decided that she is livestock, which he is not allowed to murder, and mostly tries to ignore her out of existence at this point. She wants to be his bestest best friend.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I take a lot of pictures of this puppy so I hope you don't mind more puppy pictures.

My tiny baby is getting so big and grown up. She's 11 and a half weeks, 30-ish lbs, and spent the day outside watching the big sheep instead of her little lamb group for the first time.

She's still 90% fluff though.

Unimpressed with the 45 degree weather. She was much happier when it was in the 20s.

Major is trying to ignore her out of existence still.

Mina doesn't take it personally though.

I really like these dogs :kimchi:

If you want a daily dose of Mina I made her an instagram at my friends' insistence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

One of my angora rabbits wasn't feeling well today so I brought him in to check him out and Mina was so concerned about her Best Friend!!! (a rabbit she literally just met) that she willingly ventured inside to make sure I was taking proper care of him. I'm used to Major Murderhound so I was a little concerned but she just gently sniffed and licked him.

Artie is feeling much better already and Mina has gone back out with her other Best Friends!!!, all the sheep. She's 12 weeks old and 32 lbs this week and is just an awesome puppy :kimchi: