Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Someone asked for hounds?

http://i.imgur.com/xOuoW2jl.jpg
My hound mutt as a puppy.

http://i.imgur.com/BCbGozCl.jpg
All grown up.

Not hounds but:
http://i.imgur.com/TIGUcIwl.jpg
They're Masai mutt puppies.

http://i.imgur.com/5erIuTwl.jpg

Other animals!
http://i.imgur.com/RI6Vpgtl.jpg
Hyena Cubs (chewing on a rope as part of a friend's hormone research)

(Phone posting, so if I messed up the pictures sorry. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

"Dad. Why?"

St_Ides has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Apr 11, 2016

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Those lions in the gif must also be literal bros then, all I see is three of them chilling. I was expecting them to do a lame half-ironic handshake when the third one walked up to the rest

Yeah, they'd be brothers, at least half, but absolutely the same father. When a male comes to a pride, they eliminate all the cubs that aren't directly theirs.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

withak posted:

Not sure if it is a good idea to teach hyena cubs that it is cool and fun to gnaw human bones while they are still in the human.

Those are striped hyenas. Smaller and much more omnivorous than a spotted Hyena (the species in the Lion King)

Fun fact, spotted hyenas of that age wouldn't even be able to crack a milk bone dog treat, they don't develop their (massive!) jaw muscles until they're several years old, and are therefore completely dependent on their mothers and clan members to rip open carcasses so they can feed. Because of this, if you compare the percentage of lifespan used to take care of offspring, the human equivalent would be taking care of your children until their early 20s. Source; wife got her PhD studying spotted hyenas.

Here's a spotted Hyena cub I took a picture of my first time out with the Hyena researchers. The younger cubs are all black, you can see how much darker this one's backside is, they only recently developed their spots.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Kennel posted:

Is that some sort of cock?

It's a francolin. A yellow necked francolin to be exact. Mean birds.

When I lived in Kenya, we had 2 cats in the house. Big, tough bastards of cats. Each one over 20lbs, and they routinely took down birds, hyraxes and I once saw the smaller of the two chase off a monitor lizard twice her size.

When francolins were in the yard, these cats would sprint in to our bedroom and cower under the bed. The francolins were that mean to the cats.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Warthogs are such an underrated animal. We had a few that would hang out in our yard occasionally, along with their piglets

They're smart, tough animals, and they love to eat cornflakes. They'd even follow my wife in to the house to get cornflakes. Their vertebrae are so massive that they can't easily bend their neck to eat, so they kneel down to nibble on stuff.

The only time they were ever an issue was when one decided to root around in the decorative planters out front, looking for grubs.

The piglets are also super cute.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Same. I'm not a dog person but if I had to pick a dog it would be one that was somehow simultaneously active and chill when needed

You want a hound.

A retired greyhound, a plott hound, something like that. A few years old, as they're really active puppies, but after 2 or 3 years they chill right out. As long as they get a walk/good exercise daily, the rest of the time they are sleeping, hanging out, watching you. And they're also up for an adventure any time.

I got a new friend last week.

Her and my hound get along famously.

St_Ides has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Dec 17, 2020

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

DarklyDreaming posted:

If you're cold, they're cold. Let them in:

https://i.imgur.com/vdHo7yu.mp4

That’s the Wolf Cabin at Parc Omega in Quebec. You can stay there and have wolves watch you sleep.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Sininu posted:

What is this strange creature?
https://i.imgur.com/ClSiszt.mp4

It’s a genet. The resort I used to live at in Kenya would feed them bacon to draw them out for the tourists. If you had a big beetle like a Goliath, they’d much eat that.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
https://twitter.com/andersonvilien/status/1501827642085019650?s=21

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

lol that lion could go through that wall like it was made out of cardboard if it wanted to. :stare:

Those are concrete walls. The windows on the other hand.

Normally I'm not afraid of lions in the least. This video is the first time I've felt unnerved by a lion. They're almost always cowardly as hell. But if that happened to me, where one was being aggressive like that outside my house, I'd be going somewhere it can't actively see me. I'd just close the door and/or the curtains and just say "I'm not dealing with that today." Though the video said they were "honeymooners" in camp, so they're likely going to be there for a while. Mating lions tend to just stay in one place and mate over and over for days.

Now if that were an elephant being aggressive outside my house, I'd be making GBS threads myself uncontrollably and trying to find a way to stay safe.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The lunge at the end makes me think the playing dead is a trap, intended to get the bird to lean in and expose its throat. Any mongooseologists have thoughts on this theory?

It's probably not a trap, but I don't have an explanation for it.

Mongooses and hornbills have a somewhat symbiotic relationship. They'll often hunt snakes together, the hornbills will keep predators away and the Mongooses will share their food.

Sometimes the hornbills are spotted flying to a Mongoose den and calling to get them to come out and hunt.

There's also stories of where the hornbills being dicks and making fake alarm calls to have the mongooses scatter, then picking up the dead snake and flying off with it.

Animals are a land of contrasts.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Also, consumer grade thermal cameras have a resolution of like 160 x 120 max. Usually we’ll less than that. The cat video is super crisp for a thermal video, unless they have a super fancy camera

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
A dark mane is also considered more desirable to female lions. The mane tends to darken as the males age.

Lions are probably the most overrated animal on the planet. They're lazy, dirty bullies who steal the kills of smaller animals rather than doing the work themselves.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Yeah, that tracks

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I stayed over in a place in South Africa once where they kept a family of them as outside pets in a very large yard. They were super tame to the point where they would come up to you for pets, but they absolutely will piss on anything and everything, including the person currently feeding them. Apparently they're also quite good for keeping your yard free of scorpions.

It was great when a band of mongooses would come by my tent in Kenya. After they passed you knew you were snake free for the moment.

Also fun to give them an egg, because they break it by throwing it backwards between their legs. Also confusing the hell out of them if you give them a boiled egg, because it doesn’t break the way they expect it - they still end up eating it, eventually.

Mongooses are extremely underrated safari animals.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Moopsy!

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

That's how my dogs get their symparica. It's a special treat. They have to sit and it's the reward. They give me looks after like "I'm not sure that was worth it" but they do it every month.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Um... That's a black backed jackal, not a coyote..
Which just leads to more questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Our younger dog splits pretty much any dog that annoys our older dog.

Unless the older dog is in an extremely playful mood, any other dog that comes up to the older one and does more than just greetings or introductory play, the younger dog gets right between them and makes them engage with her instead.

It's not like we taught her to do this. She just started doing it at the dog park after the older one got harassed by younger, more playful or sometimes aggressive dogs. She didn't like seeing her older sister annoyed. Also she wanted to play and the other one didn't, so it benefited her too.