Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Here's the full story on these guys, I believe. Not fond of linking to the Daily Mail, but that was the best source I could find.

quote:

A disabled lion who was reared by a double amputee zookeeper has formed an unlikely bond with a miniature sausage dog with the pair inseparable ever since the cat was a cub.

Bonedigger was born with a metabolic bone disease that left him mildly crippled and has also struck up an unusual bond with zookeeper John Reinke, who lost both of his legs following a bungee jump accident.

When Milo and two other five-year old wiener dogs, Bullet and Angel, sensed that the the lion was disabled they sought to comfort and protect him.

Now Bonedigger and his pack of dogs cuddle, feast on raw meat and play in the grounds together.

Mr Reinke, who works at the zoo witnessed the bond develop between the unlikely duo.

He said: ‘This friendship between an 11 pound wiener dog and a 500 pound lion is the only of it's kind in the world ever seen.

‘Milo does his best to copy Bonedigger when the lion tries puffing to communicate with other lions in the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
I wish this was on youtube so I could link it better, but here you go.
https://theluminator.tumblr.com/post/177429176822/his-first-time-at-the-beach-and

Trust me, it's quality dog content.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Please excuse these manga pages outside ADTRW. Panel order is right to left.

Source: Yotsuba&!

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

On a related note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjHlZ2DmVtQ

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Ror posted:

I think elephants might be the animal whose growth is most similar to humans when it comes to the awkward -> distinguished transition over the years. Those majestic beasts start off as some real goobers.

From what I understand, the reason why human babies are so clumsy and awkward is that the baby's head is too drat huge because of our big brains, so everything else has to be delayed until later in the child's development. There just isn't enough space in the mother's womb to allow the child to develop further. It might be a similar thing with elephants?
Meanwhile, baby horses start running almost immediately after birth and remain pretty dumb most of their lives (when it comes to things that aren't eating grass and running).

Unrelated:

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

AFewBricksShy posted:

I am fairly sure those are freshly shorn male sheep (rams?) but holy poo poo those things are way more muscular than I would have thought.

Meat is muscle, my friend. Any animal that's bred for edibility will likely also have a decent amount of muscle.
Also, well, any animal built to headbutt things.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

I'm once again reminded of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83m261lAlrs

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

Karl Gussow - The Old Man's Treasure (Das Kätzchen), 1876

That's some creative translation from German to English right there.
The German name of the painting directly translates to "The Kitten". It is adorable, though.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

This is just two dogs saying "Chase me!" at each other for 40 seconds.
Which is delightful.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

I'm sorry to butt in here.

Veterinary student on tumblr posted:

This is highly inappropriate behavior on the owner’s part. It’s hard to tell from the quality of the video, but based on the shape of the shark’s head, I believe it’s a bonnethead, a cousin of the hammerhead. Bonnetheads are frequently found in shallow bays and estuaries like this, and as an endangered species, need to be afforded space and protection. There’s also a chance this is an incredibly young great hammerhead, still living in its nursery bay. Great hammerheads are a critically endangered species.

This interaction is both terribly stressful for the shark and quite dangerous for the dog. There’s a real chance that both of them could be hurt should the dog have attempted to grab the shark. Responsible owners need to keep their dogs leashed when visiting anywhere wildlife may be present.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Cute!
I still wouldn't stand behind a horse!

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Some talk about non-cute things:
I was worried for a moment that it be McGyver the internet famous red tegu, but doesn't seem like it.
Male red tegus are supposed to have jowls, but McGyver is obese to the point that IIRC some tegu owners would consider it animal abuse.
Unlike bears, some animals just aren't suited for having extra fat, their bodies just can't handle it, which causes health problems. Another example would be possums.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Jippa posted:

What is a lion's mane for? Just for attracting ladies? The lady seems way more suited for living somewhere hot.

Cats fight and hunt by biting the neck. The mane is basically armor against that sort of thing.
The male lion's purpose in life, since it doesn't hunt, is to intimidate and fight other males. The mane helps with that.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Kestral posted:

I’ve never heard of an introverted dog before, but I love him. Merry Christmas, Newton!
Couldn't find another video source without voiceover or music, so here we go:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MadeMeSmile/comments/vuue09/this_meetup_for_introverted_dogs/

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s6gb5iByHz1uoy9uv.mp4

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

mcbexx posted:

I wonder if turtles (or animals in general, see watersliding crocodiles or dogs sliding down a snowy slope) have an equivalent to us thinking "wheeeEEEeee".

At least with fish, seems so.
https://kedreeva.tumblr.com/post/632631528518795264/dovewithscales-slimedivine-dovewithscales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

venus de lmao posted:

why he so feet

snowshoes