Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

May I share my dogges? I think they are pretty cute.

The one on the left is Pabu, on the right is Badger, his mom.

Pabu likes toys a whole lot:

One of my favorite pics of Badger (taken by a professional photographer, not me):

And one of the rare pics I have of them sleeping together:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Night10194 posted:

They are very cute dogs. What breed are they?

Miniature American Shepherds, though they used to be called Miniature Australian Shepherds before they were accepted into the AKC, given that they are, in fact, small Australian Shepherds. They're the only breed of dog I ever see myself having from now on.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

Going to need more photographic evidence to make a determination of dogge cuteness :colbert:

I can easily oblige once things slow down at work today. How do you feel about dogs wearing costumes? Because my wife is physically incapable of not buying them Halloween costumes. I... have been won over by the concept after years of resistance.

Mu Zeta posted:

Are they named after the Korra show? Also, Badger and Pabu look like they could be siblings and I want to steal them.

Pabu is, yep. Badger was actually named after a minor character in Firefly. Her AKC registered name is Birchview's Firefly Skypirate, which cracks me up to no end.

And yeah, lots of people think they're puppies because they have the proportions of a lot of larger breeds. Which is funny to me, since mini aussie pups actually look like very serious fuzzy sausages.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

You can't say that last thing and not post some pics man, that's too cruel

I'd have to dig to find puppy pics of my dogs, but here's Badger's... cousin, yeah, let's go with cousin.

edit: nope, turns out I'm dumb and had one of Badger handy the whole time:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I found some more.

Here's Pabu at probably about five or six weeks, it's hard to tell. His litter theme was "menagerie" so the pups all had animal litter names, and we got them all dog toys to match their names. Pabu's litter name was Moose, which would be a hilariously unfitting name for him now.

I think this is Pabu's sister, Piglet (now Mochi, I believe). It could also be his brother Froggie, no idea what Froggie's actual name is now:

And a pic for scale, because it's hard to judge size in these, here's Pabu in a mailbox at about nine or ten weeks:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I found a couple more cute pics of my dogges. Little Pabu exhibited some odd tendencies towards crawling into small spaces when he was a very little puppy:

Though to be fair, I think it's a behavior that he inherited from his mom Badger, since I found a pic of her doing the exact same thing as a puppy:

I also got confirmation earlier this week that Badger will be having a litter of puppies at the end of June! So in celebration here's her being very sad about wearing a cow costume:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sort of related, a friend of mine lives in a town where they had to get a legal exception from some handicap laws, specifically one that required all public building to have lever-style door handles instead of knobs, because the local black bears figured out pretty early on they can open lever-style door handles and breaker bars. Apparently the bears haven't figured out how to use the big automated-open buttons by the doors, but he thinks it's just a matter of time. He used to have a pic of a small black bear just sleeping in the public library lobby, I'll have to ask him if he still has it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Man I'm so glad my dogs aren't escape artists anymore... heck one time I left the house without actually latching their crate doors, they could have just pushed the doors open, but neither of them figured it out til I got home. One of them is small enough that he fits through cat doors, though, which is sometimes frustrating.

As puppies though, oof. They figure out early on that they can climb up the sides of X-pens and crates, so if you have their crate inside of a pen, you have to make sure it doesn't actually contact any sides of the pen or they'll climb right out. And we had to buy new x-pens where the crossbars were spaced further apart, and even then once they're long enough they can still kind of climb up them. When Pabu was a puppy he also figured out he could lean against his crate to shove it against the pen, then climb up the crate and kind of hop-climb out of the pen.

Thankfully neither of them have any desire to get out when we have them in the back yard, though, since I think both my dogs could easily clear our 4-foot fences if they got in their heads to do it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I was forced to get dogs that would utilize my cat beds, it was horrible

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I live right in the middle of a big Canada geese nesting ground which means we are currently at peak teenage fuzzbirb season:

There were probably about twelve of them wandering around out there. This adult was suspicious of my scrutiny, though:

Pictures aren't great since I grabbed them from the car. There's also a couple of baby herons in a nearby pond, but I didn't manage to get a good pic of them and they're not exactly lookers anyway.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

When work is stressful sometimes I'll check in on the kitten cam. Now and then there's alot of activity but it's nice to watch even when it's just a catpile.

Speaking of stressful, this av/post combo is giving me really conflicting feelings.

(kidding, yay kitties)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

My dogge just had her two pups last night, have a pup pic cute thread:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I wouldn't panic or anything, all puppies, prior to a certain age, get around for a while by pulling themselves around on their front feet and kick with their back feet. It looks weird mostly because they're on a tile floor, I think. Also the more stumpy/stocky the breed of dogs, the longer it takes the puppies to get their hind legs under them. Our last litter of Mini Aussie puppies didn't get their back legs under them until about four weeks I think, I don't remember exactly when it happened.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

My wife had a cockatoo who only ever learned one phrase: "Hey ouch, no bite" for exactly the reason you'd expect. It was kind of cute because his way of saying hello was to land on your shoulder, very gently put his beak on your ear for a moment, then say it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I love it so much when an animal just plops :allears:

My new puppy is totally convinced that every human can, and should, hold up her entire bodyweight anytime an open hand is offered

edit: whoops, dumb post to have at the top of a page. Have a pic of said puppy in apology:

MockingQuantum has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Feb 18, 2019

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sanguinary Novel posted:

If you did brush an animal, like two floofy cats, and put the fur in a little hanging cage thing, would birds take the fur for nests? Might be a nice thing to hang out in the spring

I have three dogs with double coats and I put the undercoat fur we brush off them into a little cage like the ones you can buy for bird seed suet cakes, and it gets cleaned out with regularity by the birds.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I have three dogs that all do this, constantly

Though I brought it on myself, given that I possess only two hands with which to scritch

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mystes posted:

I didn't know wing puppers got that big.

megabats/flying foxes do get kind of big but I think there's some perspective trickery going on in that image. Malaysian flying foxes have a wingspan around 4.5 feet and I think they're the biggest. Still, pretty huge compared to the little ones we have around here.

Fun fact, a lot of Old World megabats (and old world fruitbats in general) don't echolocate! They have good vision though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

RoboRodent posted:

I'm sure there's some really good reason we shouldn't domesticate these guys, but I want one as a pet anyway.

A friend of a friend is a chiropterologist and boy howdy do I feel you there. I've never actually interacted with the bats myself (she mostly studies rabies and white nose syndrome transmissability in bats so most of the rescues she have can't have any casual human interaction) but she always has some good stories about them, they sound fun.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

Wtf is peanut butter for dogs, lmao if as I expect its just 100% peanut butter which is the only kind of peanut butter that should exist anyway

Unfortunately there are some peanut butters out there, usually low-calorie or sugar free versions, that use xylitol as a sweetener, which is toxic to dogs. It also now gets listed as "birch sugar" or "birch sap" because the word xylitol is scary, I guess?

Most regular peanut butters don't use it, but also a lot of them use oils that probably aren't great for dogs either. So some pet stores sell "dog peanut butter" that I guess is meant to be largely safe and healthy-ish for dogs.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've seen quite a few litters of puppies over the years, but my youngest dog had her first litter last year and I don't think I've ever seen a more proud dog mom:

She loved those puppies so dang much. We actually had to kind of make her lay down and nurse the puppies every once in a while because she had a tendency to scoop them up between her front legs and hide them in her chest fluff and just hold them like that:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Basticle posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/317446131586170880/1000988533449826364/stairs.mp4

Also Capybara owner is incredibly obnoxious, I recommend watching that on mute

Aussies are the best.

My best friend got one when we were roommates so I got to enjoy this spoiled girl the first two years of her life (and not have to train or clean up after her :v: ):

Awww look at that face. Mine are mini aussies, but all aussies are good and beautiful. And smarter than me.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pookah posted:

I know it's a silly truism, but dogs really are the people we'd like to be. They are so kind and loving and gentle and reasonable.
If humans were basically dogs with big old brains, we'd basically be angels.
But we're very smart nasty apes and that is extremely not good.

Lol well it's not universal with dogs, I've also seen moms who would sit on their puppies to prevent you giving them attention when you could be giving that attention to Mom. Some dogs make for pretty indifferent moms, Waffles was probably the most attentive mom I've seen. Almost every dog I've seen with a litter has taken care of her pups just fine, Waffles was the only one I know of who actually wanted to hang out in the whelping pen and cuddle with them (at least until they were around 5-6 weeks and started getting really bitey). Still one of the sweetest things I've seen. She really loved those puppies. She still sees two of them regularly and she plays with them, but is significantly less doting on them, lol.

More puppy and mom pics because I can't resist:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

aww that's very sad, it's always tough with really young fosters because so many things can go wrong. Heck with any litter, foster or not, it's easy for things to just... not work out. My dog had a litter of puppies a couple of months ago and we lost one of the puppies on day 3 or 4, and there's not really any way to know exactly what went wrong, sometimes nature just doesn't want to play ball.

incidentally one of the puppies in that litter was also named Tater Tot, I was unaware of the internet sensation kitten at the time. He's doing well and is a little firecracker, though his name is Quincey now.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

here, have some puppies

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hi cute thread, thank you all for posting cute things this year, I have quietly appreciated this thread more than usual in 2023.

In repayment, here are some pictures of dog babies. My dog Waffles had a litter of puppies earlier this year and they were so stinkin cute.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Lol if I gave one of my cats attention every single time he asked for it, he would literally never stop asking

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

That is great but thanks to the internet a very different mental picture occurs when I read "kinkatopia"

tbf it's probably the better of two obvious options you're presented with when your animal of choice is a kinkajou...

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Teach posted:

I didn't realise frogging was a thing (but of course it is!) so may I present Pearl?

We call it "splooting" but I have no idea why. My dog waffles does it all the time, especially on concrete floors. I think she likes having the cool floor on her belly.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Weltlich posted:

Heeler pups are weapons grade adorable to disguise the fact that they can be complete terrors.

Reggie:

Bonnie:

Reggie teaching Bonnie how to play tug:
https://i.imgur.com/GDfhsT0.mp4

How that turned out--a story in four photos:

aww I always love seeing Reggie and Bonnie

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Weltlich posted:

I'll post more Reggie and Bonnie if you post more Waffles and Pabu.

"lol look at me I look like you. I am so tired because I have a job and responsibilities lmao"

This adorable idiot.

All dressed up and on our best behavior.

But soon...

I read this post then forgot about it for a hot minute, but I owe the thread some cute dog pics and that must be remedied. Here's some seasonally appropriate pics:

Waffles

Pabu

Badger

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

One of my favorite parts of my dogs occasionally having puppies is that I get really great before and after pics. Here's one of the boys from my dog Waffles's most recent litter, at about 7 weeks old:

And here is last week, at about 8 months old. His name is Quincey now and I love him and his crazy eyes:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Warning: big pile of cute pics (assuming you like very very very young puppies) incoming:

So I've posted my dog Waffles here in the past, especially around when she's had puppies. Well, one of the puppies from her first litter just had her first litter in turn! So Waffles is now a grandmother!

This is the mom, Noodle (just starting to go into labor here, which is why she looks a little big-eyed):

She did great, and had three beautiful little girls, who all have noodle names for now.

There's lil Ziti:

Wonton:

And Mlinci (which I'm told is sort of a Croatian noodle):

Mom Noodle was initially a little puzzled by the puppies:

But she's decided they're just about the best thing ever and has been a great mom so far:

Also this super cute pic, which is a little more recent so Ziti's face has a little more of a shape:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Oh I forgot to include a very important video

https://i.imgur.com/4q8rsta.mp4

nursing is a full-body effort

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Fat little tater bellies are the best :kimchi:

Yes indeed, we like fat little puppies at this stage

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is that... ceiling wallpaper? What is going on there? I've never seen that before

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Puppy update: they are fat little chonkers

https://i.imgur.com/wRQj3Qu.mp4

Also they're starting to wobble around on their feet, and will likely all have their eyes open by the end of the day. At least one of them has her ears open too (which is usually when they get loud, lol). You can kind of see that both Mlinci and Wonton have slightly open eyes in this video:

https://i.imgur.com/pCRmDAq.mp4

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pookah posted:

It's amazing how she is so
A. proud of
and
B. puzzled by
those dang puppies
:3

It's genuinely fascinating and frequently funny seeing how different dogs respond to being a first time mom. By all accounts Noodle has been a really good mom (not every dog is, especially the first time around) but I was there for their delivery and she was pretty puzzled by what they were and what she was supposed to do with them right after they were born. Usually the mom bonds to them pretty quickly, and she definitely has, but it's always a little funny to see the mom's expression when there's this little dog nugget that wasn't there before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Another cute video--my dog Waffles (Noodle's mom) absolutely adores teeny puppies, so my friends who own Noodle rubbed a washcloth on the puppies when they were out visiting them a few days ago, and brought it back for Waffles to smell. She was a fan.

https://i.imgur.com/IFwq15a.mp4

It's hard to tell in this video but the way she reacts to things like this is really funny, like when I came home after the puppies were born she sniffed my pant legs, but not in the typical quick-repetitive way that dogs usually do, she'd do these deep, long inhales like she was huffing up the puppy smell. And her eyes get big and dilated, it's genuinely like she's getting a high from the puppy stink.

Bonus fact, the dog on the left in this video is Tumble, she's also one of Waffles's puppies, and Noodle's littermate