Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc7OReoBeXU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
This is a hosed up thing you've posted here in ADTRW

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

The year 2000 was a strange year full of robots and Popee.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Three Cookies posted:

The year 2000 was a strange year full of Sakura Wars and Popee.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Popee The Performer (ポピーザぱフォーマー) is a series of shorts produced for Kids Station, one of the all-anime satellite stations in Japan. The broadcast begin in the fall of 2001. The show was produced by Ryuji Masuda (writer) and Wakako Masuda (art director, art design and character designer) and the music was composed by Osamu Tezuka.

Each episode as a duration of about 4 minutes, and all the characters and background are drawn in 3DCG. There is a total of 39 episodes, plus a New Year's Special.

There was also a manga drawn by Wakako Masuda that was published by Kodansha in Magazine z in 2002.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Some cinema purists believe that audible dialogue is extraneous to the true power of film, sometimes testing a piece of film completely based on the images involved. With this purist ideal in hand, it becomes really interesting to examine Popee The Performer, as the action is pushed without any reliance on dialogue of any sort. Relying solely on the actual animation, using the music score to augment the action, director Ryuji Masuda is able to communicate these simple stories not only effectively, but also memorably.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

whywhywhywhywhywhywhwywhwyhwywhwywhwwywhwywhwywwhwywhwywhwwywhwyh

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Popee (ポピー) is an apprentice clown in Wolf Circus, and the protagonist of the show.

Appearance

Popee is an 17-year-old clown.[1] While during the series Popee's gender is not established, male pronouns have been used in an interview.[2] He wears pink striped pajamas with paws and a long cat tail that seems to move on its own, a pink bunny-eared hood, and an aqua-colored bag usually filled with throwing knives and explosives. He has a straight blonde fringe and dark blue eyes.

Personality

Popee is selfish, narcissistic, violent, and quick to anger. He strives to one day be the star act of Wolf Circus by any means, even if those means are often violent and extreme. Popee is gifted at dancing, knife-throwing, unicycling and magic, but is often shown up by Kedamono or Papi. As well, Popee is unusually bad at pantomiming.

Despite Kedamono's concern for him, Popee is only kind to Kedamono in order to coerce him into dangerous circus stunts, or when Kedamono praises them. When Popee is angered, he takes their violent urges out on Kedamono. He finds it hilarious whenever Kedamono is injured.

Popee loathes Papi for his superior clown skills, but begrudgingly accepts his tutelage whenever Papi tries to improve their performances. Papi is said to be their father, "tentatively".

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i am reduced to tears

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Appearance

Kedamono is a wolf-dog who wears a white mask, which changes depending on his expression. He wears orange shorts with yellow stars on it, and walks on two legs like a human.

Personality

Kedamono generally doesn't like getting involved in the stunts if he feels it will hurt Popee. He is the most kind-hearted character of the show and possibly the only sane one. He appears to have spent a lot of time creating his masks, carefully predicting his future emotions, shaping, painting and polishing the masks. He enjoys watching a TV show, which is just two alien women dancing to repetitive background music; he seems to find it highly entertaining. He loves to eat chicken legs and would do literally anything for them.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Papi (パピィ) is a senior clown in Wolf Circus, and takes on the role of Popee and Kedamono's mentor.

Appearence

Papi is a clown dressed in a yellow and orange harlequin outfit with a removable sun-ray headpiece and an impressive, emotive moustache.

Personality

Unlike Popee, Papi seems to genuinely care about both Popee and Kedamono. Papi is dedicated to improving Popee's clowning performances, though his lessons are usually extreme and unorthadox.

Papi is very dedicated to and takes good care of his elephant car, Paola, and becomes vengeful whenever Popee defaces it. Papi also seems to have a good relationship with Alien, interacting with them casually where Popee and Kedamono are more wary to.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

http://columbia.jp/~popee/goods1.html

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why do I already know this exists?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

for some reason this kind of reminds me of the caveman and alien thing on kablaam

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

i am reduced to tears

Another marvelous performance!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Why did I watch this video

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
For what purpose.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope kedamono survived

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Top 10 Anime Deaths

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Japanese Jared Leto as the Joker

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Namtab posted:

the music was composed by Osamu Tezuka.

...Surely a different Osamu Tezuka than THAT Osamu Tezuka, right?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think the famous Tezuka was a composer.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

He composed the music for a show called Fairy Dick. 1992 is going to be an epic year for OPs

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Ccs posted:

...Surely a different Osamu Tezuka than THAT Osamu Tezuka, right?

that osamu tezuka died in 1989, so probably not

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Stairmaster posted:

for some reason this kind of reminds me of the caveman and alien thing on kablaam

Prometheus and Bob has honorary anime status.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Xavier Renegade Clown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I didn't like the video and the the popee anime seems like it would also be bad.

• Locked thread