Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My eyes lit up when I seen "Moving Sale" in the window of a building across from my street. I strolled in and while digging through a box of old routers and cables, found two mini PCs. Dell Optiplex 160 the both of them, though one OEM sticker said Vista and the other 7 (oddly the Vista one had 4gb of ram, the other 2gb). I asked how much, they said $5 each. Though only powered by Atom processors, they were both coming home with me. Been looking for something of a HTPC for a while. The other I could set up for my dad. These things have SiS video in them. They have a VGA and DVI port. (One even came with a DVI-HDMI converter!)

Problem description: I upgraded both to Windows 10, and it picks up fine that its a SiS chip, but uses a generic Microsoft driver. I downloaded one from Dell, one from SiS, neither really work. I have both connected to my TV, one by DVI and the other VGA. The DVI one oddly only allows for 800x600 or 1024x768. At 64hz??. The VGA one goes up as far as 1600x1200, also 64hz. I mean the drat things have DVI ports, how can they not output widescreen resolutions? Its a Samsung TV which usually works well with PC connections, it was my monitor for a couple years before I smartened up and went back to a traditional monitor.

Attempted fixes: Drivers from dell, from SiS.

Recent changes: Its just been like this regardless. I didn't stay in Windows 7 long enough to see if I could get any better luck but I did see the option to at least go up to 1650x...whatever the corresponding height is for that.

--

Operating system: 10 pro x64 on both

System specs: Dell Optiplex 160
Atom 330 @ 1.6
2/4gb PC2 6400 RAM
SiS 671 chipset

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Gonna throw this one in as a bonus. I downloaded the BIOS update from Dell as well. One is on version A03, one A04, A10 is the latest. The update wont launch, crashes with WINRBU in the title bar, error 24 service_does_not_exist. Thoughts? The support article said it could be run from within Windows, so I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macropiper
Feb 11, 2007

Pillbug
You will apparently have no luck with Linux either, if you were going to try it. From a quick look on google it looks like that SiS chip never got good support for any OS.

Looks like the computers do have miniPCIe slots, and it is possible to buy miniPCIe to PCIe adapters which you could use to attach a video card if it amuses you to do so.

Edit: I found an archived page written by the guy that wrote the Linux driver. It looks like the problem with the maximum resolution on the DVI port is a chipset limitation, it is unlikely to matter what driver you use.

Macropiper fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 23, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yeah unfortunately those devices are pretty much worthless, as they're slower and far less capable than an obsolete cellphone.

• Locked thread