Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

DARPA Dad posted:

So what exactly makes fresh vegetables more nutritious than frozen ones?

Fresh vegetables taste a lot better. And they can be enjoyed raw. Frozen veg are only good cooked up with a strong sauce. Most of them have the texture of mulch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Jarmak posted:

This is just wrong as gently caress.

There's a handful of vegetables and a handful of preparation methods where fresh makes a big difference, but for for the most part the cell wall damage from freezing is imperceptible unless you're deliberately trying to preserve crunch.

I find it *extremely* perceptible. I'm always disappointed when restaurants use frozen veg. So soggy. I grew up eating mostly fresh veg from the garden so frozen veg wasn't part of my day to day experience. I can't get used to it.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Jarmak posted:

So did I, it only makes a difference in specific applications that preserve texture (mostly by only lightly cooking the inside, such as with high heat or properly done steaming, and only vegetables that have a robust structure, stuck as broccoli).

This isn't an opinion, it's chemistry, I give it about a 100% chance your anti freezing snobbery is actual them not cooking the vegetables right.

I'm not a snob. I didn't say "fresh is better for you than frozen" because I've read plenty that says it is the other way around. But I don't care because it tastes great. And yes, I eat a lot of steamed broccoli but that's not the only thing I eat.

Can anyone else here tell the difference between fresh and frozen or am I a freak and never knew it?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
In NYC a lot of people with well-paying stressful jobs *never* cook because for a single person living in an expensive area, it's often cheaper to eat out every meal, and there are enough healthy restaurants that it isn't going to kill you either. Supermarkets there are expensive and restaurant food is cheap.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
I think we can all imagine what "processed food" is. If someone is described to you as "a beautiful blonde" do you immediately request her exact measurements, focus group surveys, and the pantone colour for her hair in order to precisely quantify whether this is accurate or not?

I guess another way of saying it would be "food with more than one ingredient."

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

PT6A posted:

No more buying bread of any kind at the store; got it!

Bread is definitely processed food. I make my own sometimes, and I use a lot less ingredients than store bread! (It also goes stale by night-time.) Bread isn't super-healthy for you - a lot of diets are at heart very convoluted ways of saying "no bread." It's high calorie, high carb, and high salt.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
"Fresh" as opposed to processed, I'd assume. It's a good rule of thumb. A pizza might have more tomates than a salad, but that doesn't mean it's better for you.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Obdicut posted:

Not really, though. Calories in and out are by far the biggest nutritional deal as long as you're not deficient in any vitamins, and very few people eating a modern diet are. For diabetes, for heart conditions, etc. by far the main driver is obesity and for obesity by far the main driver is calorie count rather than calorie makeup.

Junk food is very calorie-dense, making it hard to moderate your intake. Most vegetables have so few calories that they are practically a rounding error. You'd have to eat a bucket of carrots to get the same calories as a serving of potato chips, and by that time your stomach would be groaning and bloated and you'd swear never to do it again. But a serving of potato chips slips down easily. I don't know any fat people who got that way by gorging on plain vegetables.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
I definitely waste plenty of food. Fresh food comes in big portions. I buy an iceberg lettuce every week and after 3 family salads there is still half a lettuce left. Out it goes. My local supermarket only sells celery in bundles of two, and I can only use one before it is limp. Out it goes.

And I get food poisoning extremely easily, much more than you probably, so if something looks off, I dump it. No guilt, I can't afford to be ill.

So it is me doing the food wasting. Sorry.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

You don't think to change your diet/cooking to suit the portions and ingredients available? If I was regularly throwing out half a something I'd just stop eating it all together out of shame for the waste, and cheapness. I guess there's plenty of people like you though so that drives up the stats. Of course you're mostly a victim of hosed up portions at the market. I buy celery by the one, or in bunches. Can buy most "head" style veggies in halfs or even quarters. I guess if you can afford it it's probably not that bad (financially), but if I threw away half my produce I'd have to get a 2nd job.

Also when they give food waste stats is that by weight, or by value? Throwing away half a head of cabbage because you can't possibly eat it all fast enough is one thing, throwing away a big thing of meat or cheese or something very expensive is another.

I'm not going to stop eating salads because of the waste. I could buy pre-packed salads and waste zero, but that would be much more expensive.

You also need to consider "inedible" waste. The truly thrifty can make a delicious soup out of potato peelings, bones and the ends of courgettes, but not me, sadly.

One thing that annoys me is paying more for less. I could buy one head of celery, but it costs more than 2, because it is organic. If the supermarkets give us perverse incentives, there will be waste.

In the UK you often get supermarket deals where it is cheaper to buy two boxes of strawberries and throw one away than just buy one. Thankfully in the USA you don't seem to get BOGOF deals. I sometimes see them advertised, but if it is 2 for $2 it is also 1 for $1. Odd, but fair.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Jarmak posted:

I know this is a little ways back but holy poo poo if milling, adding salt and sugar, and then fermenting something doesn't count as "processing" then we've really hit peak useless terminology here.

That's why they sometime say "ultra-processed." That's the difference between Quaker Rolled Oats (processed) and Quaker Maple and brown sugar instant oats (ultra-processed). Bread is processed and Hot Pockets are ultra-processed.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The easiest way to not waste food is to eat "processed" food. It keeps well and is generally portioned in single portions. So we really should be glad if there's a lot of consumer food waste, because it means people are cooking. There is no food waste in a hungry man dinner because it is exactly one portion. But if you cook your own Sunday roast, you tend to misjudge things a little. You make 5 portions of carrots, 6 of potatoes and 4 of meat for your 4-person family, and you throw away 300g of peelings and bones - shocking waste!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Post-consumer food waste is generally not in the form that can be handed out to the hungry. Half a wilted lettuce, a small of piece furry cheese, and the stale ends of the loaf aren't going to be of much interest to the first-world poor who are generally not literally, at this moment, starving. That doesn't mean they don't need help with food, but they need help with palatable food. Supermarkets throw out much better food - a dented can, or a pack of pork chops that needs to be used or frozen today, or a whole lettuce that got a bit scuffed. That sort of food can really help a poor family.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

I had to throw away 3 tiny bananas because they were lovely "organic" ones that turned into liquid mush in a few days. I hate that the only supermarket near me is a lovely organic one with horrible mushy produce at higher prices. This is the most food I've wasted all month.

Organic bananas aren't any different to ordinary ones, your supermarket sucks for different reasons than being organic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
I'd ask how many Goons would be willing to live off rice, beans and vitamin pills but I fear that quite a lot already are (leaves more spare cash for custom furry art commissions and resin statuettes of Dragonball Z characters.)

• Locked thread