Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I'm trying to recover data from my friend's USB hard disk. When I connect it to either my or her computer it doesn't appear as a drive, but I see it through device manager and disk manager. They claim that device is working properly but disk manager's explore option is gray. I guess I should install some specialized software and try to use it to access the files. Any recommendations?
I run Win 7 and it's a Toshiba 400 GB disk.

I posted this in the Short Questions megathread and got two recommendations: to try with Recuva and to try with TestDisk. Recuva doesn't see the disk but TestDisk does see something. I tried to get somewhere with it but at step 7 it stops (at cylinder 9). Are there other options I could've picked? Please be precise, like "at step 3, press L". :downs:

http://imgur.com/a/JY4aF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

OK the analysis hasn't completely stopped but it's going extremely slowly. It took it some 4 hours to go through 16 cylinders so at this rate it will take almost two years to go through all 60800 cylinders. It found an error (or maybe more than one but I only see one on the screen now): Read error at 14/190/56 (lba = 236935)

I'll stop it and disconnect the drive.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
If you're happy to get stuck into it, you could try following along with the steps at http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Data_Recovery
Using something like ddrescue you could try making a copy of the disk backwards, but it requires you to be able to use a command line. This is very often successful at getting data off disks that have trouble reading. It should be on the RIPLinux build he mentions there.

It may have to be connected directly to the SATA interface though, rather than USB. I'm not certain.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Thanks but that's way beyond my capabilities. If that kind of technical expertise is required to recover the disk, I'll tell that friend that her best bet is to take it to a professional shop.

• Locked thread