Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

So you might know that Attack on Titan, also known as Shingeki no Kyojin, got its own PS4 game back in February of this year.
There’s a ton of footage of this game all over the internet but so far nobody (AFAIK) bothered to translate any of it. Now that’s really a shame since all of the dialogue and even the freaking loading screens contain a crap ton of information that further flesh out the world and the characters within it.

So you’re translating everything yourself or what?

Well, sort of....
I’ll mostly focus on the dialogue during the videos since it’s a lot easier (and also a lot less time consuming) to explain the gameplay mechanics in my own words, rather than translating every single bit of it.
The information in all of the loading screens will be added in in the second post of this thread once I get around to doing them.
That should cover the most important bits of background information.

However, do keep in mind that I’m far from fluent in Japanese, so the translations won’t be perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

So how’s the game?

It’s actually following the anime’s story very closely so if you’ve seen that you should know what’s going on even without the translations.

As far as the gameplay is concerned: it’s a lot better than the 3DS game (don’t know how it compares to the fan games though). The controls feel tight and those little extras such as leveling up characters, unlocking/using new skills and also “crafting” new equipment are really fun.

Spoiler Policy

Seeing how closely this game follow the anime I’m guessing that there’s a lot of people that already know what’s going to happen for the most part. So as long as you’re talking about events already shown in the anime I have no problem with that.
If you want to talk about stuff that just happened in the manga please tag it appropriately.

Reason being that some of that stuff is actually going to be shown at the end of the game

Episodes

Apepresident fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Reserved for loading screen shenanigans!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"Really? The Dynasty Warriors guys are making an Attack on Titan game? What? Do you play as the Titans and slaughter KO all the humans?"
*watches videos*
"...Huh. Okay that actually looks pretty cool"

So what's this game's version of the Yellow Turban Rebellion? :v:

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

SSNeoman posted:

"Really? The Dynasty Warriors guys are making an Attack on Titan game? What? Do you play as the Titans and slaughter KO all the humans?"
*watches videos*
"...Huh. Okay that actually looks pretty cool"

So what's this game's version of the Yellow Turban Rebellion? :v:

Oh wow, didn't know that it was the same developer
Though now that I think about it it makes a lot sense: Both games consist of pretty much nothing but mass murdering everything in sight

Good to know that they already have experience with that kind of gameplay

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Game looks neat so far. I really like how the 3D maneuver gear has been implemented as a game mechanic.

Would it be too much trouble to ask you to match the characters' names in the subtitles to the official localization? For example "Annie" instead of "Ani" or "Reiner" instead of "Rainer."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Apepresident posted:

Oh wow, didn't know that it was the same developer
Though now that I think about it it makes a lot sense: Both games consist of pretty much nothing but mass murdering everything in sight

Good to know that they already have experience with that kind of gameplay

Yeah developed by Omega Force and published by Tecmo-Koei just like DW. The UI is a dead giveaway too.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah developed by Omega Force and published by Tecmo-Koei just like DW. The UI is a dead giveaway too.

Yup, you can always recognize a Warriors spinoff because they basically never ever change the UI. I do approve of how they're handling the general game aesthetic, though I'm waiting to see how it holds up in actual combat.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I like way the game looks, and your translations seem pretty nice! I'll keep an eye out for this LP.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

Mountaineer posted:

Game looks neat so far. I really like how the 3D maneuver gear has been implemented as a game mechanic.

Would it be too much trouble to ask you to match the characters' names in the subtitles to the official localization? For example "Annie" instead of "Ani" or "Reiner" instead of "Rainer."

Going to keep that in mind from here on out.
Thanks for the suggestion!

DeafAssassin
Feb 25, 2014
Looks awesome so far!! I am very excited for this LP. Is this a only in Japan release? Will an English version come out?

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

DeafAssassin posted:

Looks awesome so far!! I am very excited for this LP. Is this a only in Japan release? Will an English version come out?

Well, it atleast has an English teaser and I think I also read somewhere that the english version is supposed to be released later this year.
If that's the case, then it's probably going to be Q4 of this year.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
Well, it took me a solid month to get the next episode out there but we're finally back.
This time we get to fight some actual titans and we also get to play around with some cannons in the most "exciting" way possible.

Let's hope that I don't run into anymore distractions so we don't have to wait another month for an episode.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Weren't the cannons at this point really terrible for taking out Titans, at least in the manga/anime? Like they weren't that good for taking out the regular titans, let alone the Colossal Titan?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Neoman, these are not AoT cannons. These are Musou cannons, which means they are perfectly designed to end everything that stands in front of them. :v:

(Although they're seriously OP in other games aside from this one.)

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

Dr. Snark posted:

Neoman, these are not AoT cannons. These are Musou cannons, which means they are perfectly designed to end everything that stands in front of them. :v:

(Although they're seriously OP in other games aside from this one.)

Well the cannons aren't actually that bad if you use them against normal titans. It's just that the "boss fights" tend to be bullet sponges, so it looked super weak.
That said, the cannons aren't optimal mostly because using the 3-D maneuver gear to fly around and slash those necks is way more fun than just shooting them in the face.

SSNeoman posted:

Weren't the cannons at this point really terrible for taking out Titans, at least in the manga/anime? Like they weren't that good for taking out the regular titans, let alone the Colossal Titan?

Yes, if you really stick with the cannon then these cannons should be next to worthless for the most part.
But if that was the case then there wouldn't be any reason to include them into the game.

(That said, there's still very little reason to use the cannons unless the game forces you to use them simply because the normal fighting is a lot more fun than just sitting behind the cannon)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Apepresident posted:

Yes, if you really stick with the cannon then these cannons should be next to worthless for the most part.

Canon. Canon is the thing that your self-insert fanfic isn't. Cannon is the thing I shoot you and your self-insert fanfic out of. :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cannons are used to defend canon

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
So now that we learned the basics of combat and drew first blood, it's time to jump into an actual battle where stuff can actually go wrong.
And if you've seen the anime/read the manga then you know exactly how this is going to end .....

FredMSloniker posted:

Canon. Canon is the thing that your self-insert fanfic isn't. Cannon is the thing I shoot you and your self-insert fanfic out of. :v:

SSNeoman posted:

Cannons are used to defend canon

drat, the power of a single letter.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Anyone ever say you sound similar to this other LPer named Ragny?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey that went a lot better than the battle of Trost did in the anime at least :v:

The battle meter has always been a bit fucky in the DW games, thoigh the latest ones are especially bad. The one for PC is almost completely nonsensical; you can wipe out all the enemy comanders and it will barely budge.

I'm digging what they did with the engine, you never move this quickly in the DW games, but it seems to work pretty well here.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

HR12345 posted:

Pretty much the first time I ever heard that. Going to have a listen to him later on

SSNeoman posted:

I'm digging what they did with the engine, you never move this quickly in the DW games, but it seems to work pretty well here.

The movement in general is one of the best things of this game.
Combat sadly starts out rather slow but once we get to some new characters (and level them up) it'll also get a lot faster.

That said, they sadly did fix a glitch that essentially allowed you to turn into a titan killing beyblade of doom (cause it kind of broke the game)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

HR12345 posted:

Not terribly much. Ragny's French, while Apepresident is Austrian (ie, natively speaks some dialect of German). That said, French and German did influence each other to a significant degree over the past one or two thousand or so years of their formations, so perhaps that's why things might sound alike? But then again, Simply Simon (who's outright German) actually sounds less like the two of them than they sound like each other, so :shrug:

At least we're not getting into all the peculiarities of various American and British accents. Those get technical very quickly.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
Well the battle of Trost happened so now we need a new character to play as.
I sure am lucky that Mikasa is in the rear guard and not ... you know ... dead, like a certain other person

Also worth mentioning that while I do show off the character stats for the first time I didn't translate anything or go into any more depth since I forgot to look up what those stats actually do before recording (whoops)
Going to do that once I get another excuse to open up that menu (should be in one of the next two episodes)
Sorry about that

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Right off the bat, A+ episode name :golfclap:

So for everyone not in the know, Mikasa is slumped there and reminiscing about the time she met Eren. That was when human traffickers brutally murdered her mother and kidnapped her.
Eren tracked them down to a cabin, and pretended to be lost. When one opened the door, he shanked the dude in the gut with a knife. He lures another to an empty room where he kill him with a makeshift spear and then uses the knife again to stab the absolute poo poo out of the third guy holy gently caress :staredog:. The fourth comes up behind him and starts strangling Eren, whereupon he calls out to the catatonic Mikasa to help him. Mikasa kinda has an internal breakthrough, and says that this world is cruel, so she too must be cruel to survive. This snaps her from her stupor, grabs the knife Eren dropped and stabs the final kidnapper.
Outside, Eren's dad confronts him about his actions. Eren yells that he did what he had to do, and that "he only killed jackals masquerading as people". Eren then gives Mikasa that red scarf, and she muses that the world is cruel, but also beautiful.

I can spoiler this if the OP wants me to.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 3, 2016

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

SSNeoman posted:

lots and lots of stuff

Yeah, that is totally fine. Without this knowledge the entire scene feels kinda weak so thanks for posting all of that

One big problem I have with this game is how much of the story they leave out to (presumeably) speed things up
This sadly leads to a lot of missing information and also kind of ruins some powerful scenes

So yeah, they made it really obvious that this game is designed to sell to the fans rather than actually drawing in new people into the series

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Especially as the pose she takes up with her broken blade against the incoming Titan is the same one she did when she grabbed up the knife back then.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I have mixed feelings about AoT. It's got some really cool stuff, but I just can't get past how goofy some of the titans look. It's just hard to take a lot of them seriously (at least for me). Yeah, the whole thing with Armin almost getting swallowed is freaky, but it kinda blunts it that he's being eaten by a giant, naked Santa Claus.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

azren posted:

I have mixed feelings about AoT. It's got some really cool stuff, but I just can't get past how goofy some of the titans look. It's just hard to take a lot of them seriously (at least for me). Yeah, the whole thing with Armin almost getting swallowed is freaky, but it kinda blunts it that he's being eaten by a giant, naked Santa Claus.

It is not-so-secretly a comedy, and you should be laughing while you think or someone says/plays this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Polyseme posted:

It is not-so-secretly a comedy, and you should be laughing while you think or someone says/plays this.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

azren posted:

I'm not much of an anime guy so I can't really ignore the shonen jump high school brutality bullshit they shoehorn in. Buncha preteens standing around, fists clenched, bellowing at each other about duty.

Show me more of the dead-eyed, egg-crotched naked dudes imo.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
Mikasa is still alive and we got a new Titan that's running around, slapping his fellow Titans to death.
Time for a Plot Twist!

Night10194 posted:

Especially as the pose she takes up with her broken blade against the incoming Titan is the same one she did when she grabbed up the knife back then.

I never ever realized this little detail. Holy crap!

azren posted:

I always thought that this goofiness is what made the Titans more interesting than any regular fantasy monster.
They look like idiots (and act like idiots for the most part) but drat they can cause some serious havoc.

Colorred
Dec 26, 2012
So you said you don't know Japanese that well, right? How are you translating? Do you have to put some of the dialogue through google translate and try and piece it together? Also, enjoying the LP! One of my friends used to talk a lot about AoT but I never bothered to watch it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I see that yellow bar under the Titan's health bar. Oh Koei :allears:

And yeah clever use of design, first having you maneuver around the city and now you maneuver through it.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Apepresident posted:

I always thought that this goofiness is what made the Titans more interesting than any regular fantasy monster.
They look like idiots (and act like idiots for the most part) but drat they can cause some serious havoc.
Maybe I'm just a wuss but this is why the Titans are so drat unsettling to me. They look like a bunch of mishappen giants with rictus grins that are actually eating people alive.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

Colorred posted:

So you said you don't know Japanese that well, right? How are you translating? Do you have to put some of the dialogue through google translate and try and piece it together? Also, enjoying the LP! One of my friends used to talk a lot about AoT but I never bothered to watch it.

No it's not that bad.
Luckily I got a lot better during all the time I've been working on this project.
I mostly end up searching the super hard vocab/kanji in jissho (a somewhat reliable japanese <->English translator). The grammar itself isn't that bad for the most part so I can make reasonable sentences with my current knowledge.
If all else fails -> check the anime (99% of the lines used in during the cutscenes and direct copy+paste from the anime)

Glad you enjoy it:3

SSNeoman posted:

I see that yellow bar under the Titan's health bar. Oh Koei :allears:

Is that like a common feature in Koei games (or atleast dynasty warrios?)

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Dynasty, Samurai, and Orochi Warriors, yeah; the bar under health in those is basically a super meter that allows a "Musou Attack", a big attack that typically does tons of damage and attacks a wide area, generally in a cinematic and unique way.

Relevant to this, been enjoying the videos so far, seems like they handled the maneuver gear enjoyably.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks so much for doing this, this looks like a lot of fun! Is it region locked?

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

apostateCourier posted:

Thanks so much for doing this, this looks like a lot of fun! Is it region locked?

Well, you need a japanese PSN account if you want to download it.
If you import the Disk itself then you´should be able to use it on every Playstation.

Then again the official english version is coming out in august so importing it right now might be sub-optimal.

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Relevant to this, been enjoying the videos so far, seems like they handled the maneuver gear enjoyably.
The maneuver gear thing is especially refreshing after witnessing the mess that was the 3DS game.

If Koei can continue to deliver good sequels once the anime continues they found themselves a gold mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Now this guy here is one of the exceptions to what I was saying earlier. I really like the designs for the more unique aberrants (this one, Armored Titan, etc).

Apepresident posted:

Yeah, I can see that. I suppose when I think about it, it's kinda like the Geckos in MGS4, that will wreck your poo poo while mooing like a cow.

I'm really enjoying this, by the way. Thanks!

• Locked thread