Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Boten Anna posted:

Yup. I mean, I got and loved Brain Age and Nintendogs, but if Nintendo does anything shy of port Super Mario Brothers to the PS4, angry gamer neckbeards write six million word thinkpieces for Bloomberg or whatever about how Nintendo is a dumpster fire and literally killing their family and why can't Nintendo release Mario for the iPhone?

So yeah on the flip side, gamers are entitled little shits and I don't really blame Nintendo for not catering to them either. (Not that us Nintendo fans are much better in our own special ways, she says, hiding the pile of tweets with pictures of dildos in them all mentioning @Nintendo in her livetweet of Pokemon Omega Ruby.)

Actually, holy poo poo why haven't they made Nintendogs for the iPhone yet? Out of every IP they could make mobile that seems like an easy winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Saoshyant posted:

How would you monetize the caring of virtual dogs? By letting them die if you don't buy the food packs (only $2.50 for 5!)? That would very likely cause a tremendous backlash with soccer moms.

Clothes. Accessories. Dog toys.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, I had those friends that were lucky to get one game a year on their birthday or Christmas, while I was rocking a 40+ game NES library. Why would people buy a console and not get games? I literally know people who has a Wii and only have Wii Sports.

I would get two or three games for Christmas and one for my birthday, but the video rental market was so prevalent back then I would rent and finish one or two games a month, if not more. You didn't have to buy them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Disney didn't just scrap toys to life, they scrapped their entire gaming division, since overall it just wasn't profitable.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I tend to think it will be ARM because then it will make it much easier to port games and game engines between console and mobile, and going from x86 to ARM is apparently not too much work.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

pixaal posted:

If you were able to remote play on your phone and used your 4G which you know someone is going to do and demand that Nintendo pay for their "unexpected" bill.

It will work great if they do it, but all the places a kid takes a gameboy? The super market isn't going to have free wifi for you to play games.

Work with T Mobile and get that poo poo zero rated.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think blue coins would work fine if they're the same across all instances of the stage and you have some form of radar for them or something to let you know one is nearby.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What? Ganon died on his feet and it's loving awesome.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

smell this posted:

All I know as of right now Ganon is dead.

He's dead as gently caress

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think all Zelda games are overrated when they come out, and underrated six months later.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'd prefer a hub than one contiguous world, or if you do have a contiguous world, a hub serving as shortcuts. That could work. Like, in Mario Sunshine you can see other levels from the level you're in, there's a real geography and continuity to it. So if you could actually get to other world if you want and maybe there's hidden stuff out there, but I'd still rather navigate with portals.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's amazing how much water Sunshine had and yet how little of it I would call a "water level".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's really weird, I feel like Sony games and to a larger extent indie games, though many are very good, have been getting a real loving pass by reviewers. Everything that comes out is goty.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

reviewers have different tastes and priorities than average players. what games in particular do you feel are overrated?

Uncharted. Inside. Those are the two most recent ones I've played that are just nowhere near as good as the hype. Inside is less of a game than even the last one that company made that was exactly the same game. but it's SO ATMOSPHERIC

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Guy Mann posted:

So either not everybody has the exact same tastes as you or there is a huge conspiracy that reaches all the way to the top to make people think that bad games are actually good. Hmm....

Not conspiracy, just people up their asses about "experiences" and trying to be serious art.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Soul Glo posted:

:lol:

"People that like different kinds of games than I do are just up their own asses."

:goonsay:

No, just people who like that specific kind. You must be offended because you are up your own rear end about Movie Hallway the Game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's NEET stand for.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dr Cheeto posted:

"Not in Education, Employment, or Training". The implication here is that it's a person who just plays video games and watches anime all day.

I don't know, that sounds like me when I was actually in college.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nothing but NET

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And the company that makes their cartridges forecast a huge increase in sales at the same time the NX is releasing.

The thing is disc prices and storage space has stagnated while cart space has risen and cart price keeps fallin. The extra cost can at least be partially made up with in large logistics savings(smaller packages, less weight, more units per shipping container), no disc format licensing costs, cheaper console that's more reliable(less returns/warranty cost) with no moving parts(also smaller and thus cheaper logistically)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Modern carts aren't going to have a specialty chip. Think 3ds cart, just with a bigger capacity.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

fivegears4reverse posted:

Backwards Compatibility is something a lot of people clamor for, but it ultimately matters most when your console has nothing of value to play on it. See: The Xbox One, the PS3 post launch. So maybe Nintendo should have considered it seriously because if third parties abandon them again, they're gonna see a repeat of the Wii U where we wait out droughts in between major Nintendo releases.

I'm honestly not excited for BC on the NX, because if Nintendo's eShop practices are anything to go by, we'll likely have to pay full price for games we already own digitally on the Wii U. Besides, my Wii U isn't going anywhere as is.

Games you owned digitally on the Wii transferred free to the U though(except one for some reason, maybe cause it was the first WiiWare title and they never had gotten the licensing worked out yet? And you had to use Wii mode of course) and all the DSi digital games transferred freely to the 3DS. And when they did start releasing retail Wii games on WiiU, they were $20.

Obviously we're not going to get best case scenario(your entire 3ds and WiiU library playable and available for download at no cost day one), but I highly doubt you'll have to rebuy everything at full price.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The second stick on the GameCube was actually digital. However the Wii classic controller had two analogs. Also Wii remote was better for fps than twin stick by far.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
New Super Mario U is the best and has a gently caress ton more content than New Super Mario Wii. It does have a DLC level pack though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

nobody wants to play games holding their arm straight out for hours to aim at the screen. gyro is better

Just rest your hand in your lap

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I bet it outsells the WiiU.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How much could licensing the FX chip possibly cost? Just charge a buck more for those games and be done with it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You just put your portion of the sales in a trust and if anyone comes around claiming it's theres and proves it in court you pay them the trust. It's not uncommon to use old technology or media like this.

On the NES mini, I want to know how long the controller cord is. I can see the controller ports are just Wii accessory sockets, so you can plug in the classic controller, but the cord for the classic controller is 1.5, maybe 2 feet long. Hope the included controller cord is at least six feet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

pyrotek posted:

Here is my attempt at 30 games, taking out the FX chip games, and staying away from licensed/M rated titles:

Earthbound
Super Mario World
Mario All-Stars
Super Mario RPG
Yoshi's Island
Final Fantasy 3
Zelda: Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Street Fighter 2: Turbo
Super Contra
Castlevania 4
Sim City
F-Zero
Pilotwings
Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3
Mario Kart
Super Punch Out
Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dreamland 3
Kirby's Dream Course
Kirby's Avalanche
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Tetris Attack (switch the name back to Panel de Pon if they need to for licensing reasons)
Puzzle Bobble
Harvest Moon

I would gladly pay $100 for that, although $60 is probably a better mass-market price. Final Fantasy 2 would be another good one to add, but the number of remakes it has on different Nintendo systems, and the number of RPGs already included led me to cut it.

Yoshi's Island uses the FX chip, so you can replace that with Final Fantasy 2. I think Kirby Avalanche is licensed puyo puyo game, so replace it with Mega Man X2.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Nintendo tells the world "we don't really make Pokemon Go", and their stock drops like a rock. Expect that to dominate the Nintendo news cycle til we hear about the NX

Well it's still higher than it was at the start since it demonstrated the value of their IP.

Market speculators are dumb, five minutes of research could have told them what the ownership situation is.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ventana posted:

She was wrong about Mother 3 though which is playing with my heart too much for me to trust her again.

Well not yet, she just said this year

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mario was hung on a cross tilted 45 degrees, because he did not believe himself worthy of being hung the same way as the savior. But only a little bit not worthy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sounds pretty awesome.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Also finally development will not be split between two consoles. You take their output across two consoles and combined it, you get as ton of games. Even more if you eliminate redundant games, opening up development for more new games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

nigga crab pollock posted:

huh i guess that is whats going around rumor mill

i just expected it to use wii remotes when its docked, but that is just crazy enough to work

Is that a mock up Eurogamer came up with based on what they heard, or from one of their sources? They're not really clear on that in the article.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Black Mage Knight posted:

It is worth noting that the upcoming Sonic 2017 game is going to be on PS4 XBone and NX so that does suggest some level of similar performance between the hardware (unless the NX version is going to be a complete different game).

It's weird Mania was not listed as being on NX though, since that seems it would be a cheaper and easier port.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

limaCAT posted:

Will it keep resistive screens?

Please Nintendo keep resistive screens.

But resistive screens suck

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

nigga crab pollock posted:

There are a huge amount of Nintendo followers who didn't care one bit about mobile / portable gaming, me included. To sacrifice power for the sake of portability is a kick in the nuts to be honest.

Yeah, but WiiU: 12 million 3ds family: 60 million?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They need to make a console with Blu-ray more powerful than Scorpio with at least 2TB hard drive and for less that $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Comrade Fakename posted:

I am worried that the NX will use the X1 chip and not the X2 that a lot of people are assuming. This article on Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-nx-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra makes it clear that the only information they have right now is that the NX uses X1, though there are some clues that it might use X2. I like the sound of those clues, but I think that an X1-powered console would be a big disappointment for me, especially since I play most of my games on the TV.

I agree it's pretty dumb to see a bunch of websites reporting it must be the X2 because even though their sources say it's an X1, they had one source who says it has an audible fan and an X1 wouldn't need an audible fan so THEREFORE.

But it will probably be fine either way. Whichever chip it has you can't just directly compare it to some other device because this will have its own design and architecture and other specs.

• Locked thread