Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

I cannot even begin to grasp why Sony is in the lead this console gen when the PS4 currently has the least exclusive content out for it.

lol

SilverSupernova posted:

Maybe it's not, but whenever I ask people who have the consoles what they have that's worth playing, I tend to hear a lot more exclusives from the Bone players, like Halo, or Killer Instinct or Titanfall.
PS4 I only really hear people mention Bloodborne. I know it has other exclusives, but most of those apparently aren't even worth looking at, like Knack or The Order 16-whatever.

the bone, like any nintendo console, focuses on a large, well known exclusives to diraw a mass market audience. unfortunately for both of them, no one cares about halo or mario anymore. sony is using the strat they brought up for the ps3 which is a metric ton of smaller exclusives targeting niches so that instead of relying on a big shooter title as their sole draw, they have a bunch of games for different tastes instead, while also grabbing all the decent pc indies and putting them on a platform people actually buy. given that neither nintendo or micorosft can actually move hardware, while sony is pushing out ridiculous sales with profitable hardware, seems like its paying off big time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

raditts posted:

You're chastising Nintendo for doing the tablet thing, but you think loving VR, which combines the worst failures of all three current console makers (Virtual Boy / Kinect / Move) is going to be the thing to take off?

the difference is that the sony vr is an optional add on which is profitable on each sale and has already taken ridiculous preorders. the wii u tablet was something no one asked for or wanted but u couldnt choose not to buy and whose only purpose was to drive up the base cost of the console.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

First off, the game pad is literally just a regular controller with a touchscreen. Unlike the Wii, if you didn't care about using the screen it still has every single button and feature or a regular controller without buying an add-on. There's no gimmick being forced on anyone. And second what does that base cost thing even mean when the base cost is still $100-200 cheaper than the other two?

yeah and its loving huge and dumb and no one likes it. if u dont care about using the screen and only wanted to us ehte buttons etc of a regular controller then you had to contend with a dumb massive pad for literally no reason. also cant hold a charge for poo poo. ship it with a pro pad, make the tablet pad an add on.

the wii u at launch in 2012 was not $100-200 cheaper than the 360 or the ps3. it was more expensive with no third party support and no real power gains. it was/is cheaper than a ps4 when that came out, but then the ps4 was an actual upgrade in tech and also had games people want to play on it.

idk what ur argument is unless you're completely unaware that no one bought a wii u. these are the reasons why no one bought one, and as nintendo have shown they are chronically unable to learn from past mistakes, its unlikely whatever they poo poo out for the NX will sell either. it'll either have some dumb gimmick no one wants that you cant avoid, no third party support or games with a pathetic and ridiculously drawn out release schedule for all first party titles, a staggering lack of power for absolutely no reason, or all of the above.

its cool if you dont care about sales figures, just dont be surprised whne making consoles becomes financially untenable for them because they cant shift units and they have to leave the market.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lets remember that nintendo's history in home consoles at this point is one of repeated mistakes and failures and any successes have come in spite of themselves.

the NES was fine, but it was also running unopposed. it had no other real competition in the home console space. but it was a fine console, it did well and nintendo marketed the thing intelligently in the US. this is literally the high point of nintendo home consoles. 62 million units sold.

the SNES was a nothing machine. it was literally a new NES. despite coming off of a generation that they had dominated, they somehow lost ground to the genesis of all things and ended up in a worse position than the generation before. already they have slipped. 50 million units sold, a drop from the NES, which itslelf isnt an issue, but the market for consoels grew at the same time. luckily for them sega was even dumber and self destructed in the following years.

next they made the dumbest loving move in the history of games and courted sony to make some dumb poo poo hybrid machine. this move was completely inexplicable. what was even more inexplicable was that after having put in so much work, they dropped sony, tried the same thing with phillips, then decided actually theyd just make their own console again. this move was akin to microsoft bailing out apple in how much it hosed them over, only somehow worse.

so they come out with the n64. it has a dumb controller, which will be a trend moving forward, it steals ideas from the sega 32x with expandable hardware (why?), it uses carts still despite them being gently caress dumb expensive and not worth it, it cant handle 3d well, the list of gently caress ups are endless. possibly the worst console they ever made on a purely technical level. along with this sony release a console, however they;re a new name in gaming, its their first real attempt at a console that will see release. this shouldnt have been a compeititon for the company that had revived a dead market in the US and was still the market leader. unfortuantely nitnendo is institutionally dumb: they sell 32 million units while the ps1 moves over 100 million, eclipsing everything theyve done in one go. all because nintendo hosed them over. good move. this is the foundation on which their future failure will be built.

next is the gamecube, probably their best attempt at a modern console. unfortunately despite actually having a technically solid console with a controller which isnt that stupid (its still pretty stupid) they failed to market it at all, they failed to get any proper software support and they failed to properly learn any lessons from the embaressment of the n64. they sell just over 20 million units while sony shifts 155 million ps2s. sony in two generations has completely and utterly taken the market from them.

then you get the wii. this shouldve been what saved them in the home console space. it had a dumb controller and gimmick, but it came at exactly the right time when people were open to it, and its implementation was great for attracting brand new gamers that no one had been able to get before. luckily these people havnt played nintendo games since the snes so their usual copy paste mario etc games sell. sony made a really dumb loving move with the ps3 and was fighting off the 360, giving nintendo a great chance to regain lost ground. unfortunately it turns out this was a complete accident, and sony arent as dumb as sega. despite selling around 100 million units and winning the generation, they had no plan or ideas for how to keep this influx of gamers on their platforms, while sony turned around the ps3 and grabbed second place. the wii succeeded in spite of nintendo and not because they expected it to.

this leads directly to the wii u, which has the worst marketing of anything ever made, leading people to think its dumb gimmick controller was just a wii add on. everyone who bought the wii moved to either sony, mobile or pc beacuse they forgot to leverage their new playerbase. they release it while everyone is anticipating the new sony and microsoft consoles which couldve been a masterstroke had they given it modern hardware and got proper third party support. unfortunately it was barely more powerful than the ps3/360 and more expensive than them, but no where near as powerful as what people were expecting from the new ps and xbox. compounded with that they forget that they need to actually make games for it and dont bother for two years. they move 10 million units, and by the time they start making games for it sony releases the ps4 which destroys it on every single level.

the NX will do exactly the same thing again. we already know it has a dumb gimmick (hybrid handheld console lmao), except this time the gimmick is "lets sacrifice our actually successful hardware to try and save our dead hardware". it'll have poo poo hardware, its alreayd been said it'll be around xbox levels, so it will be less powerful than an established console which is currently selling ridiculous numbers. it'll have no third party support despite the fact that they already know the market for their first party shovelware is around 10 million people. it will have some dumbshit name, probably one that confuses the general public, because apparently the only company in gaming able to simply pick a name and incredment numbers on it is sony. its coming out in a shortened time frame, much like the dreamcast did after the failure of the saturn. everything about it and nintendo themselves mean it will fail, and it will fail hard while taking down the DS brand with it. they cannot just make hardware no one buys forever, especially when their main competition is making a console that is profitable on every sale and more powerful, with better software, better support and better brand recognition. they will move to software, which they shouldve done after the n64 and finally die. namaste.

close this thread, its not needed anymore. put this post in the OP and pin the thread until the NX releases. RIP nintendo.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I wish Stux would stop posting

i wish nintendo would stop making bad consoles

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

im mad that nintendo arent already dead. thankfully they have securded their own fate. RIP

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

u can try but my magical protection is thru the roof.

i was forged in the fires of the great nintendo/sega console wars. i am a vertern of numerous combats. my posting carreer is a storied history of being right about and subsequently pwning gmaing companys and fans. u are but an ant to me, ur power levels barely register. if u attempt to step up u will get destroyed. for the sake of your family, give up now.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

someone get stux on the next flight to kyoto since he knows what's best for nintendo

cancel all hardware, make gamems for ps4, ios and android.

ur welcome i will be expecting my check in the mail reggie≥

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Junpei Hyde posted:

Imo the nx might be good but it also might be bad.

ur worng. the nx has no hope of being good. its only option is to be bad . it is *put son agent smith shades* going to happpen for sure.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Junpei Hyde posted:

Counterpoint: good is subjective.

Also you listed why each Nintendo console was bad and you forgot the virtual boy? What's wrong with you?

that's a handheld i wasjust talking home consolel

DumbInACan posted:

Wait Nintendo won last gen console war? They are definitely going out of business! Also if you hate Nintendo so much why even come to this thread?

they won by tapping an untapped markett they the first aileld to hold onto, making them the biggest loser of all

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The shark tank thread is leaking again.

bad consoles get ownebd, if u don't like it petition nintnedo to make a good console for a change

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

u got taint reaped really hard by a photoshop and a 3d printer

Stux posted:

just because the mock ups were fake doesnt mean it isnt the design. in fact if it turns out they're going with something elsl e i will now say it was because ofthe backlash to the mock ups of their original design

also i never said it was the controller. i said it was the actual console.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

instead of soothing ur taint u choose to instead jump up and down on ur racecar bed insisting u were right all along despite any evidence to the contrary

not the choice i would make but we are the masters of our own destiny, stux

lol *rolls up sleeves, revealing epic bis and tris* u want to say that again nerd?

DumbInACan posted:

I can see how people look at Nintendo as being gimmicky, but I prefer to think of them as innovative and experimental. The Wii is a good example of trying something different and succeeding while the Wii U kind of shows how trying new things doesn't always work out. At least Nintendo doesn't just recycle what is basically the same console with better graphics for each new generation. If it ends up ultimately being the reason they go out of business, which I doubt, I'll be glad they at least tried to do something new each time they decided to bring there consoles to the next generation. I hope NX is an other console to bring something new and good to the table, but if it isn't, I'll respect them for at least trying.

agreed, much more important tho keep shoehorning in dumb poo poo isntead of focusing on making asystem that plays games well as well as securing as many developers as possible to provide content 4 ur platform.. good point.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

incredibly brave of nintendo to forego the usual route of getting good games in favour of making up as many dumb gimmicks as possible using bad hardware and a terrible dev environment in order to alienate botht consumers and developers.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

whaley posted:

Man stux is really really obsessed. I wonder what it's like for your entire identity to be based in video games

your monitor is turned off

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

PBS Newshour posted:

oh, is that why i didn't realize you got out of your crib and was posting in games again

STUX IS A BABY AND I AM THEIR PARENT, I WAS REFERRING TO A BABY MONITOR

what r you doing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

wow epic burn from the gbs poster who somehow wnadered in here

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

richness doesnt come form material posession, but from personal strength friend. your dreams are mine as we are one, brothers and sisters in arms in the world o games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

games are fun if u own a ps4. everything else is garbage. welcome.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ometeotl posted:

Stux brings a wave of poo poo wherever he goes.

i am a symptom of a Fail console or video game, not a cause

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no one, because no oen plays any nintendo game, so no one is affected when they have 2 quit

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

the gameboy advance and the ds were cool but I dislike the grand majority of nintendo's home console output.

you will fit in well here, this is the thread to recognise nintendos failings in the home console market by watching them release therir last console ever

nerd_of_prey posted:

My concern is that if they do try and merge the handheld market with the home console market it will destroy both. I love Nintendo handhelds, the 3DS has developed into something great over its lifespan, but their consoles are very hit and miss!

this is what will happen. i mean theyve already lost a ton in the handheld market anyway as they're dying, so this is probably a last chance hurrah to try and salvage their only successful line of consolels while trying to revive their long-dead one at the same time. unfortuantely like evyerhting they do it'lkl be gimmicky and essentially flawed with no support. shame it had to end this way with them turningi into sega but the sooner they move to being a third party studio the bettrer.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

I don't have to personally tear open the plastic bag and gnaw on an empty McDonald's coffee cup to know I probably wouldn't enjoy eating literal garbage.

lol ilu

DoubleDonut posted:

You actually literally do have to have experienced it for any amount of time to have an opinion on its quality, yeah

hi i played plenty of double dash: its loving awful trash no one should ever play and i applaude lady naga for good decision making in thsi area

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

It's rather curious that the exact same people always show up to make one word poo poo posts whenever I disagree with commonly held perceptions.

have u noticed that 90% of the tiem it sbecause of anintendo game or console?? its weird. really weird that any negativity about anything nintendo does is opposed by screaming and crying from pissy fanboys. curious...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CrashCat posted:

actually it was a lot of fun and my family would play it together with the people who aren't good at driving controlling the items for a kart in co-op mode. but thanks for your sage analysis of this feature without playing it ever

it was a poo poo game and the feature was the bumbest thing they did to mario kart which is ewhy they removed it instantly instead of hanging on to it like they have with the other gimmicks theyve added

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

really weird mario kart 8 has the gimmicks from 7 and mario kart wii but not the dumb double dash gimmick that was dropped like a ton of bricks instantly. wonder why. maybe it was bad?? who knows...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MotU posted:

every mario kart since 64 is just wrong

the og DS one was good imo but otherwise yeah

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CrashCat posted:

It provided many hours of fun times for people who otherwise only get to sit and watch while the 'real' gamers battle it out. I only vaguely remember the disadvantage but that was a big pro for my family

mario kart as a regular game alreayd does this and the addition of the second character only relegates the "bad" players to a less fun position rather than just letting them play and blue shell u into oblivion

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ahh yes... well balanced sklil based vidoe game mario kart relly need a bullshit addition to let people be compeittive - some idiot who has never actually played mario kart multiplayer

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

best racing game ever!!!

e sorry I keep forgetting I'm on a retina display

actually i think u'll find that the worst selling mario kart other than the GBA one is somehow the best even though even the wii u one on a console with half the install base sold better

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

how is nintendo still around

they built up a decent bank roll in the early days and invested it well in handhelds

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

unfortunately the handheld well has now dried up and theyre no longer in a position to keep making home hardware that fails as they dont have a back up, hence why they want to combine them

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't think you can attribute any of that to inertia.

the only people who think they have strong 1st party titles and the strongest IPs in gaming are people who grew up with nintendo consolels when they were actually ok, so yeah, inertia.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if that was actually true then their consoles would sell absolutely ridiculous numberbs because the lack of third party support wouldnt be an issue. unfortuantely the strongest IPs in modern gamging are all but absent from nintendo consoles (they finally got minecraft so they have one of them at least)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

sell you an emulated copy of Super Mario World.

$20, never goes on sale. price drop of $5 after roughly 3 millennia.

emulated super mario 3 released 5,000,000 years later

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

nintendo snowballed into a position of handheld dominance and by the time anyone else could compete handhelds as a platform stopped being profitable, it's kind of sad really.

actually handhelds are really interesting here as well bcos sony hosed up really badly. the PSP sold really well and put them in a great position but they went and released the vita next so rip. never mind tho cos as u said its a dead market anyway, and has shrunk by a ridiculous amount between the DS/PSP and 3ds/vita gens

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

it's really hosed up that the vita is capable of actually emulating things and the PSN actually has sales and price drops and deals yet nintendo gets all the virtual console rights, time to go play all my favourite game gear games

to be fair though the vita memory cards are inexcusable and v dumb. like u said tho its a shame bcos the vita itself as piece of hardware is better than anything nintnedo has ever made and sonys digital game is on lock

quote:

we're good friends and neither of us would force the other into anything

this is true, but i am open to fusing with any of my friends to form minerals if they are. just putting it out there.

i live for geology.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Louisgod posted:

Most people forget that Nintendo makes a decent amount of money licensing their IP to clothing manufacturers, toy lines, general advertisement, theme parks, things like that. Despite their dwindling console/handheld business, Nintendo also survives on whoring out their IP.

angry birds and minecraft do that better now as well tho so thats going too

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

3DS is a hella ace system tho and it still is selling worse than the garbage PSP did.

I think LAdy Naga is sort of right that Nintendo handhelds have crazy intertia, which is the only reason the 3DS was able to crawl out of its hole and make a humble, if disappointing life for itself.

Vita never stood a chance. Most people seem to think it's an amazing piece of hardware, too. Like, I know the memory cards were dumb, but I don't think Sony fumbled the ball too bad on the hardware itself. They just didn't have the momentum of years and years of beloved handheld games being released.

the vita couldve done well honestly, its good hardware and sony has enough support to ge t good titles but they just hosed up big time with the memory cards, pricing and lack of software support. rip

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

Didn't the 3DS also have horrible pricing problems

yeah but they did actually cut the price, plus the inertia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

yeah that was sort of my point, they both had horrible horrible launches that mostly mirrored each other but the 3DS survived because Nintendo Is Handhelds and Sony doesn't get that luxury.

yeah ur right myy bad

• Locked thread