Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I had to look up solutions for some of the recorder puzzles but I've accepted that my brain just doesn't work that way. Same with the recorder puzzles in Gateways, which is a totally rad puzzle-metroidvania that is easily worth $5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Avocados posted:

What are some decent video game news sites? I've been using Apple News for everything which has worked out well. I just have nothing in the way of video games since the only thing I've used for the past 5 years is something awful. It looks like gamespot and ign and kotaku are poopy as always.

Play 4 Real

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

There aren't any.

Just set up a Google news alert for "video games" and then sift through the debris.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

precision posted:

maybe it's because i'm a dummy but i'm liking Talos Principle more than The Witness so far
This is a very un-dummy opinion. Talos Principle is super enjoyable, whereas the Witness feels like a distant jerk is tormenting you (because he is.)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

VoidBurger posted:

This is a very un-dummy opinion. Talos Principle is super enjoyable, whereas the Witness feels like a distant jerk is tormenting you (because he is.)

Like with Cavia games, The Witness only really feels that way if you're a completionist, but the game gives you even less reason to do that and if the game is driving you nuts, there is no reason to keep playing other than making an arbitrary number go up.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cardboard Box A posted:

TRUTH IS OUT THERE

also drat he makes a normally lovely school uniform look sharp

he rides around in a wheelchair and helps you fight ghosts

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Stranger of Sword City is the Xbone game of the year. I have (re)embraced the anime, and am now eyeball deep in Wizardry-style stat noodling and class fuckery and drat it feels good to grind again.

Boner owners, give it a shot. The trial's 8 loving hours long; it's enough time to find out if this is your poo poo.

axleblaze posted:

Like with Cavia games, The Witness only really feels that way if you're a completionist, but the game gives you even less reason to do that and if the game is driving you nuts, there is no reason to keep playing other than making an arbitrary number go up.

Also if you give up then you're admitting that John Blow is smarter than you, and that everyone else who finished the game is smarter than you, and your one true love in the world gets an email showing an incredibly unflattering photo of you with the caption DO NOT MATE WITH THIS DIPSHIT in flashing letters.

But it's totally cool to not finish the Witness. It's fine. It's okay. It just means you're a complete loving moron.

cram me sideways fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 27, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Witness has dozens of puzzles where you have to stand on a particular pixel for it to work. gently caress it

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
WELL WELL ANOTHER INTELLECTUAL DULLARD

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

cram me sideways posted:

Stranger of Sword City is the Xbone game of the year. I have (re)embraced the anime, and am now eyeball deep in Wizardry-style stat noodling and class fuckery and drat it feels good to grind again.

Boner owners, give it a shot. The trial's 8 loving hours long; it's enough time to find out if this is your poo poo.

Glad to hear it's good, I've no Bone though so I'm waiting on the Vita release instead. I guess it's supposed to get a Steam release too but no news on a release date yet.

Guess I better try and finish Phantasy Star 1 tomorrow so I can get on to better things.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Happy Easter everyone. Please ban me Facts, I will rise again in a few days.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Glad to hear it's good, I've no Bone though so I'm waiting on the Vita release instead. I guess it's supposed to get a Steam release too but no news on a release date yet.

If you've played Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land on PS2 then Stranger is like a homecoming. I've been chasing this dragon for so long. I tried the Etrian Odyssey games on 3DS and I just couldn't get into them. The developer behind this game, Experience Inc., is totally behind doing even more of this poo poo, so they just became my new favorite developer.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ravane posted:

Happy Easter everyone. Please ban me Facts, I will rise again in a few days.

u dumbfuck you were supposed to get banned friday for that to work

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shindragon posted:

I looked at JIm's little preview of it when he played and yeah I ain't digging it. The dodging is slow and it's basically a button masher. Also in the YT comments (risky I know) they asked where's the SFX and someone else answered there isn't any.

Wow.

Yeah apparently there is very very little sound design under all the metal.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
It's gotta be loving humiliating to get that far in the development of a game and decide that sfx, of all things, isn't worth the extra effort before release.

Then again I've never spent a second in game development so maybe someone with some actual experience can explain how a game as gorgeous and inviting as Slain can actually show up as unplayable and horrible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's super simple: an art guy tried to make a game and underestimated the importance of everything that wasn't the stuff he was good at.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

It's super simple: an art guy tried to make a game and underestimated the importance of everything that wasn't the stuff he was good at.
This and its a recurring theme of a chunk of failed kickstarters. If you're just an art guy and don't have enough serious experience in programming to balance an action game, you're best off making an adventure game. (But that also has its own demands, such as your writing abilities can't be poo poo.)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Hey if Toby Fox can do it...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Toby is like some sort of prodigy so I don't think he counts.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Not really, there's a bevy of easy-to-use game tools that you can make something good with if you're actually dedicated.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Toby Fox knew his loving limitations. A JRPG is not particularly mechanically demanding, the art style works without requiring a ridiculous amount of detail, and space shooters (which is not the same thing as a bullet hell) are very very easy to program, especially when you remove the ability to attack from most sequences.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lady Naga posted:

Not really, there's a bevy of easy-to-use game tools that you can make something good with if you're actually dedicated.

If it's so easy then why haven't you done it and become hugely successful and admired and wealthy.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Lady Naga posted:

See: Gunpoint and Hotline Miami, which are Gamemaker games, for god's sake

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sleeveless posted:

If it's so easy then why haven't you done it and become hugely successful and admired and wealthy.

I've been wanting to for quite a while but honestly I haven't had a solid idea worth nailing down. I might just go ahead and make something really simple and boring just to practice.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

cram me sideways posted:

If you've played Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land on PS2 then Stranger is like a homecoming. I've been chasing this dragon for so long. I tried the Etrian Odyssey games on 3DS and I just couldn't get into them. The developer behind this game, Experience Inc., is totally behind doing even more of this poo poo, so they just became my new favorite developer.

TotFL is one of my favorites in the genre so I'm gonna be all over this one. Weird that it got released on Vita and 360/Xbone but not PS4.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

TotFL is one of my favorites in the genre so I'm gonna be all over this one. Weird that it got release on Vita and 360/Xbone but not PS4.

Lotta nerds nerding out over the fact that such an obvious JRPG didn't land on the PS4, home of the JRPG, and some opined that Experience Inc published on the Bone because there's less of a competitive market with other JRPGs, since the Bone is basically cancer in glorious Nippon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The home of the JRPG is the SNES.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cram me sideways posted:

both of those use coding language extensively which is not something a random amateur would be able to do. you can make game maker games with drag and drop stuff but nobody who actually sells their games for money does it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

TotFL is one of my favorites in the genre so I'm gonna be all over this one. Weird that it got released on Vita and 360/Xbone but not PS4.

it's not particularly weird since theyve been a vita and pc developer exclusively prior to now. i would assume ms offered them a deal or something and they figured their main audience wasn't going to care so they said yes

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

corn in the bible posted:

both of those use coding language extensively which is not something a random amateur would be able to do. you can make game maker games with drag and drop stuff but nobody who actually sells their games for money does it

But they're still Gamemaker games.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

cram me sideways posted:

Those two games don't use Game Maker anymore. They got updates at some point that completely rebuilt them on another engine (Sony's PhyreEngine IIRC?) in preparation for their console releases, since Game Maker only had a PC runtime at that point.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Just set up a Google news alert for "video games" and then sift through the debris.
Or put a bunch of sites in an RSS reader or use Flipboard if you're really lazy (actually don't use that cause you're gonna see trash from Polygon and Kotaku)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

imback

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

hi

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Stux posted:

imback

Played any good games lately?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Dr Cheeto posted:

Should be playing a lot of "Sorry" for giving people so much crap for questioning those NX controller tumors.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

not yet!! hahaha

Dr Cheeto posted:

the division

bloodychill posted:

Should be playing a lot of "Sorry" for giving people so much crap for questioning those NX controller tumors.

just because the mock ups were fake doesnt mean it isnt the design. in fact if it turns out they're going with something elsl e i will now say it was because ofthe backlash to the mock ups of their original design

also i never said it was the controller. i said it was the actual console.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Stux posted:

just because the mock ups were fake doesnt mean it isnt the design. in fact if it turns out they're going with something elsl e i will now say it was because ofthe backlash to the mock ups of their original design

also i never said it was the controller. i said it was the actual console.

"Even if it turns out I'm wrong, I was actually right"

What's your uplay handle?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

"Even if it turns out I'm wrong, I was actually right"

What's your uplay handle?

i dont use uplay, i burn clean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008