Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm not sure there was a viable western market for the Vita tho

Like, Nintendo cultivated a large fanbase in the west for their handhelds. Enough of it survived to eventually bail out the 3DS. Sony handhelds never had that, though, and they def weren't going to attract NEW people...

idk tho again the psp did reaaallly well in europe. there is just a compound of gently caress ups with the vita that they couldnt overcome because they didnt have the same inertia and install bas eas nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Bass Bottles posted:

I didn't know it did well in Europe that's interesting

p sure it sold more in the uk alone than japan even. europe will take any excuse to buy sony basically

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Germstore posted:

Oh look, it's Stux making GBS threads up a not-Sony thread.

literally just talking abotu uhow sony completely hosed up the vita with stupid decisions

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Xavier434 posted:

So is the XB1 and PS4 but no one actually gives a poo poo because just like the SNES and the Wii U they each have some pretty good games.

actuallyl the ps4 is the best console since th eps2, the previous best console ever made

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Tenzarin posted:

Doesn't help the last good Zelda was on SNES.

links awakening was actually the last officiallyl good zelda game

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Tenzarin posted:

PS4 is good but you know they should really make some games worth playing on it.

all the GOTY candidates for the year are on ps4. enjoy.

SilverSupernova posted:

To this day it saddens me just how badly Sony hosed that up. At least with the PSP they actually bothered to make a variety of games based on their IPs. It bombed, but I still got some mileage out of it. What little they even do with the Vita anymore just seems to be targeting one specific demographic with incredibly Japanese style games. That's not such a bad thing, but the problem is that they do very little to appeal to other things.

Want to play WipEout? gently caress you we care about that less than Nintendo cares about F-Zero.
Maybe Ratchet & Clank, or Twisted Metal? Haha no!

Granted, this problem also extends to the PS4, but at least that gets 3rd party support.

the psp didnt bomb at all, it did really well especially considering they were agiansnt the DS

the ps4 has plenty of first party games out alrady and up for release, alongside 3rd party titles. it has more games out and upcoming than the xbox or wii u will have over thier entire lifespan.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Tenzarin posted:

Its cool, they also came out on the PC.

Also Link to the Past is the best zelda game.

i didnt know that nier 2, persona 5 and the last guardian are coming to pc. wow amazing!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Tenzarin posted:

Nice straw man, now were doing future game of the year comparisons now?

thats literally what i said in the post u quoted. candidates for the year. this year.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
if we're talking last year then the winner for GOTY is ps4 only so thats no really anybetter.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Mercury Crusader posted:

lol if you think last guardian is being released

quoting for posterity

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Tenzarin posted:

Its been like 3 months this year, theres no goty yet.

please read posts before u respond to them, u are getting in a bit of mess here

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Tenzarin posted:

Its way to early to even bother naming candidates.

Name me the ps4 exclusives already chosen as goty candidates?

i already did jesus christ.

Motto posted:

In retrospect TLG's delays aren't a big deal, the bulk of it was probably just the PS3 to PS4 shift.

please lets not be apologisits for the terrible handling o f the last guardian

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Tenzarin posted:

Nier 2: unreleased
Persona 5: unreleased, Suicide is bad ok, Persona is bad
Last guardian: unreleased

Good list of ps4 games released already.

why are u having so much trouble understanding the posts you are quoting. i really do not get how u cannot read what is being said.

Lady Naga posted:

Stux which publication are you basing last years GOTY on or are you saying like a personal winner or

im basing it on the objective fact that nothing else last year could even come close to the perfection of bloodborne

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
"here are some candidates for GOTY this year, which we have barely been in for 3 months yet"

"BUT THEY ARNET RELEASED YET??????"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Tenzarin posted:

Bloodborne sucked, lovely action souls, next.

this is an incorrect opinion sorry

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Tenzarin posted:

Lets see just how much its talked about after April when its not the newest release from software.

really weird point to make that from softwares releases just go from strength to strength imo

Lady Naga posted:

its actually weird that golden joystick voted for noted bad game ds 2 in 2014 but last year witcher won over bloodborne

actually ds2 was GOTY for 2014 because even a less good souls game is still better than everything else. also ds2 owns anyway

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
witcher 3 was somehow duller than DA:I which despite being an increidble acomplishment doesnt mean it can be GOTY

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Lady Naga posted:

but i mean if youre gonna vote in a souls game at least wait until the good one

they're all out on seperate years so we dont have to thankfully. each souls game is GOTY in the year it was released

Tenzarin posted:

This is actually pretty true except with Bloodborne, which was a huge step back because Miyaka wanted to make a lovely action souls.

nah it owned. some might say pwned even. official rankings put it at just behind OG dark souls but ahead of demons and dark souls 2

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
anyway here is the official list of possible GOTYs for 2016. no arguing, this is objective fact:

dark souls 3 of course
persona 5
nier 2
the last guardian
no mans sky

wildcare outside option: horizon

as u can see they are all on ps4, and all but 2 are exclusive. thanks sony for the best platform for games yet again *kisses fingers and raises them to god (kaz)*

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Tenzarin posted:

Demons souls wasn't.

yeah it was

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Motto posted:

I care about one of these

sorry about ur poor taste

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Saoshyant posted:

Confirming that the console is x86, however, means that ports from PC/other consoles will be much, much easier to do.

this is absolute nonsense

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Sprite141 posted:

Sometimes you need to stagger releases, though not for months at a time ala every console this generation.

which consoles?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Riiiiiiiiidge raceeeerrrrrrr

Edit: can I just say at this point, Stux, I feel really sad each time I see you eat a huge probation

thanks

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Dexo posted:

The Wii U was more powerful than a PS3 tho?

Like Every Wii U game p much ran at 1080/60 besides poo poo like split screen Multiplayer on Mario Kart.

As opposed to the 900p/30 most games ran at on the PS3(besideds like CoD multiplayer and other exceptions.)

whether or not wii u was more powerful u understand this argument doesnt prove it either way rite?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
even for mens jeans tho a 3dsxl in the front pocket is ridiculous

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

MechaCrash posted:

I carry two, plus a battery for my phone, a coin purse, loose change, a nail clipper, a Swiss army knife, folding scissors, and some dice. And that's just in one pocket (the other is a wallet, Vita, deck of cards, and microfiber cloth). Maybe you just need to find the right pants.

Okay, sometimes it looks like I'm wearing jodhpurs but that's the price you pay for having all of your poo poo at hand all the time.

what hosed up jeans are u wearing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
i mean is that post a joke or not i cant tell.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

MechaCrash posted:

Relaxed fit Wrangler jeans. I can get all that in there, but it can get a little tight, and they do stick out a bit just because of the bulk.

All of the talk of pants does seem like a bit of a tangent, but if you can't cleanly fit a portable in your pocket, I don't think it's very portable at all.

i need to see pics of these jeans fully loaded please.

MechaCrash posted:

At this point I just think it's funny that everybody pounced on the coin purse so hard that nobody noticed "two 3DSes." Maybe because it was just assumed that it's an American one and a Japanese one? Which is the case, of course, but still, I thought someone would've asked about that part, at least. Iwata said, and I summarize, "region locking was a mistake because it doesn't actually help the customer," so I'm hoping the NX isn't region locked.

But if you must know, the coin purse is to hold pennies because I want to keep them away from the other coins. If I need some pennies, I don't want to have to rifle through quarters, and vice versa. And I only have four or five other coins, usually, and I can and do spend those. Pennies are a bit harder to get rid of, and there's more of them because I use them as counters in card games. It's not one of those old lady style coin purses with the clasp, it's one of those squeezy deals and it doesn't carry all that much. I have it because one of my uncles gave it to me so I figured eh, gently caress it, why not. I only have three dice, which isn't enough for a bag, and I carry them mostly because gently caress it why not, with a dose of habit on top. They're pretty small d6es, after all, and don't take up much room.

i need 2 see 2 3dss in one pocket. i need to see how this works.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
a pair of jeans that can handle a vita in the pocket

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

PBS Newshour posted:

Please MechaCrash, take a picture of all the stuff you carry in your pockets laid out. Please please please.

no iwant to see it in the pockets. i want to see the pockets full of the objects

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Kashuno posted:

going third party has been great for Sega, ofc

kinda has though? idk i dont get ur point here sorry

Trent posted:

I concede that dual shock is closer to modern controllers, but N64 had right hand directional input first (not better) and the trigger on the back rather than just shoulder buttons on top was a big deal. People also seem to forget that analog was a huge move. That Sony moved the tech along a year later doesnt erase this.

wasnt even first analog at all though lmao the ps1 had an analog controller before the n64 even released! controllers with single analog sticks have existed in some form since the late 80s even. what made them take off was using two on a sensible controller, not the n64s three ponged piece of poo poo having a single bad stick.

the basis for modern pads are sega pads and the dual shock. nintendo pads are largly irrelevant.

Trent posted:

Expansion slots, force feedback, right-side directional control, trigger opposite stick, and analog inputs. Not just one innovation.

I actually think you could say that multiple ways to hold it was a good/interesting idea in theory, and even led to the wiimote's forward/sideways/nunchuk layout.

Nothing about it was the best ever, but it did a lot of innovative stuff that's stuck around/evolved.

expansion slots: no one uses them
force feedback: existed long before the n64, and its implementation wasnt the one taken forward at all
right side directional control: again done by other pads for a long time, and what was successful was right side control with a second stick
trigger opposite stick: not the first, also not relevant to anything other than nintendo controllers.
analog inputs: seeabove.

Trent posted:

Ever seen a wiimote? You know, one of if not the best selling controller of all time?

lets go off console sales and assume 1 console = one pad for simplicity. ps1 obviously shipped originally without a dualshock but given its early adoption and extra pads and simplicitys sake i dont care actually:

wii motes: 100 million
xbox 360/one pads: 100 million
dual shocks: nearly 400 million

hmmmmmmmmmm lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Dr Cheeto posted:

This isn't true at all but don't let me keep you from having the standard goon meltdown over Nintendo hardware.

its completely true because no one developed anyhting for the wii u so no one used the pad lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

BillmasterCozb posted:

how would they have done that

probably the same way other games w similar features do it idk

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
*splatoon player watches ow player using mercy jump 2 team mates and cod player call in airstrikes all without dumb gamepad with a tablet inside it*

what wizardry is this...?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Wamdoodle posted:

Ah yes the ubermenschen that are the Overwatch and Call of Duty players

idk what this has 2 do w anything

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Wamdoodle posted:

Yeah me neither

i respect this

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

dig deeper, i speak of another

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Instant Sunrise posted:

because this:

is extremely similar to the now traditional thumbstick that all modern controllers have.

also not to mention that the PSX controller/dual analog/dual shock is a derivative of the SNES/SFC controller.

well neither is the n64 pad, but the point is "analog sticks" is not an innovation. been around since the 80s.

its more like a cross between the snes and mega drive pads, taking the shape of MD pads and extending it out with th ebutton layout of a snes pad. fact is tho before the dualshock console controllers were a lot less standard than now and beyond the four button layout (which itself was from arcade titles anyway) modern pads are mainly derived from the dualshock or the saturn/dreamcast pad. probably the biggest nintendo impact is the addition of shoulder buttons. other than that... theyre poo poo bad lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

BattleHamster posted:

There are so many weird stand-alone arcade cabinets and third party controllers out there (especially for PC) I think you could make this argument for just about anything except the earliest arcade games.

In my mind the innovation was Nintendo being the first to decide that analog would be the primary control method for their console and making it successful in a much larger market.

they didnt do that tho, that was the dual shock. the n64 style analog stick was not adopted and out of the two consoles the one that made a market impact was undeniably the ps1 over the n64. we're talking a console that sold 30 million vs one that sold 100 million. the n64 analog stick is resigned to the same place as those "weird stand-alone cabinets and 3rd party controllers" as a failed implementation of an idea then made popular by another company. even their own controlelrs now use analog sticks fashioned after the dual shock etc rather than the n64.

• Locked thread