Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Patter Song posted:

It is hilarious to me how Neogaf is, as predicted, blowing up into a shitfit about how Nintendo isn't releasing some sort of core box that competes with Neo or Scorpio in specs.

I'd much rather have a handheld stronger than the Wii U that can HDMI out into my TV. How loving ridiculous is that? That's amazing.

I don't know why anyone would expect Nintendo to try and compete directly with other consoles in terms of power, they haven't done that since the Gamecube. Not even with their handhelds.

You have to be a crazy person to expect them to make a big expensive powerhouse thing, especially after the 3DS price issues at launch. They're gonna go cheap whenever possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If the handheld unit is single-screen and isn't compatible with Pokemon Sun/Moon right out of the box they'll have made a bad move for launch

At the 3DS launch my most played games on that thing were still DS Pokemon titles that had come out just before it

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

greatn posted:

Im under the impression there is a base, that is the charging station as well as being the part that has the hdmi connection to the tv, so when you go to your tv you don't have to plug it into anything, you just plop it on your base the same way you would the WiiU game pad onto its charging base.

Yeah, this is what I was under the impression was going on, and that the base might have additional hardware in it to handle upscaling for HD resolutions while the 'controller/handheld' thing runs at a lower resolution with it's own power.

is this not how it works

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Talkc posted:

Nothing says comfy like a hinge in your grip.

Why the gently caress cant anyone make a comfy handheld gaming device? Neither nintendo or Sony can get it right.

the problem is, controllers are comfortable because they're ergonomic and shaped to your hands. handhelds need to be flat enough to pocket for portability. you cant ergonomic flatness

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Jables88 posted:

I know it's already been said, but in a way, the most crucial aspect of any of this is that Nintendo will be supporting a single console and not splitting their efforts.

Yeah, having their software teams and budget all focused on one device instead of split between two will lead us into an era of some real kickass nintendo stuff

and it will all be portable as well as HD

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Dr Cheeto posted:

100,000 MyNintendo platinum coins

well its not like theres anything else to spend them on

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Renoistic posted:

Is it confirmed the NX won't be back-wards compatible? I want to play Bayonetta 2 and W101 but if the NX will be compatible I'll wait for it.

Nothing is confirmed at all at this point. But reliable looking leaks are claiming that's the case, yes. It won't have a disc drive so they're skipping BC entirely.

That said, if it's more powerful than the Wii U I'd probably expect downloadable BC games at some point.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

In terms of pricepoint, Nintendo knows the 3DS and Wii U launch prices were not good so I have to imagine an NX will probably be priced closer to the pricing for those systems that they moved to later on. They keep basically saying this without explicitly saying it. So maybe they're going to sell the system and the TV dock separately to keep the pricing down? And then also a bundle that includes them both?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

A $200 console/handheld hybrid launching with that new Zelda would sell like crazy imo

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Patter Song posted:

I'd be very surprised if the Mario game wasn't an October or November 2017 release as the pillar of NX's first Christmas.

What's interesting is that all the games are on the same platform now, and that's usually the Pokemon release slot as their big handheld game for the holidays.

So maybe things will be spread out a bit more? Zelda at launch and then a Mario and a Pokemon game by the time the next holiday season hits seem like smart moves though. That's a minimum of 3 major titles for the console by then, supported by (theoretically) a Smash Bros port and some other smaller titles. They'd be in good shape.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I don't know if this is a condition unique to the Nintendo handheld threads, but every so often goons will start talking about pants pockets and it just never ends. Do the Vita threads have this problem?

no, nobody who owns a vita wears pants

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

We are not in the 90s, the difference between making an SD card and a Bluray disc is nowhere near the price gap between an N64 cartridge and a CD rom. their pricing is different yes but it's not enough to dissuade manufacturing things like it was back then

the console wars are long over, friends. please get help for your PTSD

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Elfgames posted:

also nintendo is totally going to launch with a smash brothers with like no info having gotten out or anything

if its just a port of the existing game(s) theres no interesting info to leak or whatever

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Will the NX fit into my jean shorts?

your jean shorts will actually fit into the NX

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Saoshyant posted:

I did, I did say "wow" out loud.

I'll keep pressing that forbidden fifth button all day long and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

it is forbidden

you're going to jail

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i am the nintendo nx

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

BillmasterCozb posted:

the nintendo nx just plays Africa on a loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5wEz05B5jE

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wonder how big the Switch game cases will be

they're ditching cases, they're just selling game carts in ziploc bags now

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yes but what kind of pants will you keep your Switch in

you dont keep a tablet or ipad in your pocket, why would you keep your switch in one

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Preordered a Switch from Gamestop yesterday since they were the only place still taking preorders, seems like they ran out sometime last night. It's probably all being done in waves though.

Settled for the grey one but wanted the neon red/blue because it looks real nice and friendly and I'm all about my toys looking like toys. If the neon one opens up closer to launch might just swap. Or might just exchange it for the other color on launch day if there's a surplus, which there probably won't be.

The nice thing about Gamestop is it doesn't charge until it ships so if I get buyer's remorse I can just cancel it around the end of February and no harm done. But right now I'm way more interested in the Switch than I ever was in the Wii U, which I didn't end up buying. Wii U had some cool games but I managed to get my fill of those by playing on my friends' consoles (except for Mario Maker, which I would have bought on 3DS if that port wasn't terrible). Except for this upcoming Zelda, which looks like it just nails the exploration and experimentation I like to play with in games, and hell if I'm gonna get a console to play it I might as well get the new one that's going to get more new Nintendo stuff instead of the old one that's basically dead.

Plus I wanna get my hands on that new Mario.

1, 2, Switch seems like it'll be fun with friends too. Though I don't think I'll get it full price(wait until its maybe $30), I'm pretty interested in how the game shows off the haptic feedback and it seems silly enough to give some solid entertainment for around the same price any of the board/card games we pick up would.

The haptic feedback is such an interesting thing that I think will go underutilized for the entire lifespan of the system, which is a shame since Nintendo's been trying to get that into their controllers since the pre-Wii era. Upping the physicality of video games without making you hold like a fake gun or sword or whatever is an important aspect of immersion, and if the patents for the Switch-based VR headset ever result in anything you can bet those Joycons are going to be great VR controllers.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Spellman posted:

Yea what is the point of that 1 2 Switch, are you just going to be sitting around with your friends milking cows for hours, it's weird

Every one of those games were the ultimate definition of novel. Like one pair is gonna try it and be like, "Oh cool, it works" and everybody never plays it again.

It's kind of gimmicky but that's okay. Disposable video games that give you short little fun experiences are valid things to make. Stuff like the Jackbox games are proof enough of that, they're just fun weird little things that are more about hanging out with people than playing something for 300 hours and that's an underserved market when it comes to actual good, quality video games of that type. There's plenty of bad ones. We need more good ones.

The problem is it's being sold at $50 when it should probably just be a digital pack-in or a $20 title at retail. But they have to recoup those development costs for getting the haptics right so it's a $50 game. Oh well.

The other problem is it seems like it's really just limited to two people, which makes it a little questionable as a party game. But it would also be a bad idea to make a game seem like it requires people to buy 6 additional joycon controllers at launch (like Bomberman is encouraging) so that's probably a no-win situation.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Tender Bender posted:

It seems like a lot of early VR where the actual product isn't something people want to buy at price that matches the work that went into it.

Yeah I think it's that same problem. The development costs and behind-the-scenes stuff that went down to make 1, 2, Switch function in the way it needed to isn't coming across through the presentation of the game or the amount of content it has, so it's an expensive thing to make that doesn't do a whole lot and will fall by the wayside.

Which sucks because it will probably mean no other major games using the haptics properly in the future.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Pureauthor posted:

I hope they end up releasing a revision that's purely portable down the line.

I think this is likely in maybe 2 years, but they need to firmly establish that it's a console before they can offer a handheld-only 'Switch Mini' or whatever, to avoid consumer confusion.

Because like the Wii U showed us, if Nintendo thinks consumers are smart it just goes poorly for them.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Anidav posted:

Did anyone else notice Bowser was dressed up like Speedwagon from Jojos?

he got peach to agree to a theme wedding

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Rexroom posted:

IIRC there are different models of the joy-con that feature d-pads coming in the near future. You know, for different control layouts.

well, those exist in the form of patents, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to get made

like the VR headset the Switch tablet snaps into. might not get that, but the patent exists.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

greatn posted:

Their VC pricing has always been consistent, NES games for 5, SNES for 8, N64 for ten, Wii for 15. That's never changed. GBA and DS were more variable

The new VC games on the Switch might cost more since they're adding online play. VC games with newly added features like the Pokemon R/B/Y games cost a bit more than the standard ones.

But it'd be an increase of like $1-5, nothing like an additional $10 or whatever.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Jimmy Hats posted:

I was being facetitious guys

every post in this thread is 100% serious and i dont like your disrespectful attitude towards your own very serious posts

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Junkie Disease posted:

Who the hell is this Jimquisition youtube personality and why should anyone watch him?

some weird nazi dude, if you like normalizing nazis check him out i guess

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Fire Emblem Fates getting a all-dlc-included port to the Switch is an interesting move, because between that (a 3DS game) and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (a Wii U game) we're seeing Nintendo just 100% solidify the Switch as the replacement for both previous lines of devices. while they continue to claim it's a 3rd pillar.

i cant believe they're still using the 3rd pillar line after all these years

Fates is a lot of fun too so that should be a nice thing to grab for anyone who missed out on it before or didn't want to pay for all the DLC stuff. no real incentive to pick it up as someone who already owns the game and both dlc campaigns but it's got some good appeal and is a good indication we'll get a full new proper Fire Emblem in 2018 or 2019

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The Switch will be marketed as a console first and foremost until the death of the 3DS so they minimalize cannibalization of the handheld sales. You can see this in action because they recalled the Wii U from shelves instead of pricedropping it, the Switch is slipping into that space for now.

Then in a year or two when the 3DS is effectively dead, they release a handheld-specific redesign 'Switch Mini' and/or a Switch minus the dock for cheaper (and in new colors). This is your second major holiday push, when they get a brand new Pokemon title (not sun/moon 2 or stars or whatever) alongside some other big non-mario, non-zelda Nintendo IP and you start emphasizing how it's not just a home console, it's a proper handheld on it's own, without the TV stuff, too.

The launch is a very tightly controlled and focused kind of test-the-waters approach to see if they can get any wide appeal like the Wii again or if they're going to be courting a 3DS style market. This is frustrating to yall because you're the 3DS style market and not the other one they're trying to probe and see if they can get. You just want them to skip to the part that's for you. And they'll get there but it won't be for a year or two.

Basically just don't buy consoles at launch.

Unless you're me and need that Zelda real bad

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i wanna play mario odyssey real bad

zelda looks good too but that mario has me pumped

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

InFlames235 posted:

So is anyone here going to forego the pro controllers and just get multiple joycons? Was thinking about it myself because of all the positive reviews of the joycons but haven't fully decided because they're also $10 more than the pro controllers.

i don't know if i'll need or want a pro controller when it's more comfortable to just freehand both individual joycons. the Wii's two-handed setup was real comfortable and the Joycons are a better, entirely wireless version of that, so i just don't see a proper controller appealing to me when it's less comfortable

i'd rather just pick up more joycons since they can be used as either one controller or two controllers depending on the number of people who want to do multiplayer stuff

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Calaveron posted:

This is pretty cool. Wonder if the Zelda special edition case also has compartments for gmes and joycons or if it's just for the switch itself.

it does, they're basically the same case with different decorations. they opened it up and showed it off on the treehouse livestream

both cases are pretty good. it's a nice incentive to pick up the zelda SE

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

cancerianmoth posted:

With Fire Emblem on switch- does this mean Nintendo would be considering bringing over other 3DS games as well? Pokémon Sun and Moon are laggy (even on New 3DS) but folks are saying its because of the high poly counts- bringing people to believe that they are prepping models for a new system.

I don't like preordering things and will wait a bit after launch (closer to summer I hope) to grab one maybe. That maybe will be definitely if they decide to start bringing things over- especially Monster Hunter. That game needs a bigger screen again.

Pokemon sun/moon getting either a port, a 3rd version, or a direct followup (ala black2/white2) is all but officially announced at this point so yeah that's happening. As for other games, I think it's not just possible but likely we'll see some of the better 3DS games get brought over to the Switch. Kid Icarus Uprising is an easy candidate, with some control and UI tweaks it would be a great looking game and a lot of fun. But i guess we'll see

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The Switch is going to be rad just by virtue of being Nintendo's sole platform. No more console/handheld split, just constant rad video games. And a greater variety of them because they no longer need to do a console mario and a handheld mario and a console zelda and a handheld zelda, they just make a Mario game and a Zelda game... and the resources for those other two games are freed up to be used to either make those games bigger and fancier or to make something else entirely.

3rd party support will probably be as weak as ever but this is going to be a super strong console in terms of Nintendo's first and second party output

(plus you only gotta spend $300 on a Switch instead of $300 on New Nintendo Console and $200 on New Nintendo Handheld which is cool by me)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

they should just do a Fire Emblem x Advance Wars game where you have Marth attacking tank battalions on foot with a sword

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Kawabata posted:

Holy poo poo Path of Radiance isn't cheap.

yeah that's mostly why people want the HD radiance collection thing for the Switch, those two games are expensive now

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Comparing the price of Bomberman R to Bomberman games from like 15 years ago is a weird thing to do. Bomberman as a game series has devalued itself by releasing budget-cost downloadable Bomberman games for a while now as basically the only way the franchise has been around, for years. Just because we haven't had a Bomberman in a while doesn't mean $50 isn't overpriced for a game that's not going to have enough content to justify it's own price tag.

But since it's one of effectively 3 launch titles for the system it'll sell regardless so I guess it doesn't matter.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

ethanol posted:

What does blowing on the mic do in Zelda switch

makes link blow on things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

greatn posted:

What is the Binding of Isaac. Everything I've seen of it seems to be really juvenile and stupid, like you are playing as a poop fetus or something.

yeah youre a poop fetus and you cry on things, its pretty good

• Locked thread