Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I'm thinking of going 100% digital on Switch game purchases this time around. A friend of mine got his 3DS real late in the product cycle and just bought everything on the eShop and it seems so much nicer than me juggling around a bunch of dumb cartridges and (typically) being locked into playing whatever game I have in my cartridge slot at the time when I'm out somewhere. Is signing on for this just locking myself into always paying more for games and dealing with a bunch of DRM hassles or have things gotten better? There's no way to preorder eShop codes from Amazon to take advantage of the 20% Prime bonus, is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

has anybody said "99 problems but a Switch aint one" yet, if so sorry

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Don't go 100% digital on Nintendo Games.

Buy any First Party Nintendo Games you want on a cart/cartridge. First Party Nintendo Games hold their value.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Excuse me, thread.

I know, right? Hundreds of pages of hot steamy bickering poo poo from a bunch of manchildren, and not a god damned peep that the fat rear end cat from the Splatoon scoreboard now has an adorable lil buddy.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 376 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

This always happens with Gamestop, no matter the parent company or product. They took more preorders than they had available.

I'm fairly convinced they do this to hang on to your money, so when confronted with "sorry this thing you preordered isn't coming, but can I interest you in Rusty Brown Shootmans 2017 or Big Men in Helmets Intensely Touching & Dogpiling Each Other All Day 2k17" most people are just "meh, I'm already here, I guess I'll just get something else". It's hard to convince someone to give you your money back when you can justify that money on something else they offer.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Rexroom posted:

We had that talk about the dock, and since it's just a fancy USB-C hub with a HDMI output, I wonder if you can use other brand USB-C hubs instead.
As far as simply charging the console goes, I believe they've said you can use any charger, or even those USB power bank thingies. I'd have my doubts about it working with video output though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

tenderjerk posted:

I'm fairly convinced they do this to hang on to your money, so when confronted with "sorry this thing you preordered isn't coming, but can I interest you in Rusty Brown Shootmans 2017 or Big Men in Helmets Intensely Touching & Dogpiling Each Other All Day 2k17" most people are just "meh, I'm already here, I guess I'll just get something else". It's hard to convince someone to give you your money back when you can justify that money on something else they offer.

They don't charge you until it ships

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cant make a real game??? no problem - make a musou!!!!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

greatn posted:

a charging grip

Why? I don't really understand why someone would buy this. So they don't have to put the joycons on the tablet when they are done playing? It seems like a pointless accessory.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 376 days!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They don't charge you until it ships
:smith: I've done too many instore preorders that I didn't even think about the online component

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

Why? I don't really understand why someone would buy this. So they don't have to put the joycons on the tablet when they are done playing? It seems like a pointless accessory.

Mainly so you can charge the joycons as you play with the Switch docked and then when you're ready to go you don't need to worry about them being low on batteries.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Dexo posted:

Don't go 100% digital on Nintendo Games.

Buy any First Party Nintendo Games you want on a cart/cartridge. First Party Nintendo Games hold their value.

I don't really care if they hold their value or not as I never sell my games, I'm more just concerned about always getting rolled over the coals on game pricing because eShop stuff is never a cent under the MSRP?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Waltzing Along posted:

Some people might never undock it. And have it in a tv console or something that's not easily accessible.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Super No Vacancy posted:

Take that back! Take that back!!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

io_burn posted:

I don't really care if they hold their value or not as I never sell my games, I'm more just concerned about always getting rolled over the coals on game pricing because eShop stuff is never a cent under the MSRP?

Yeah uh Nintendo does a really bad job of putting things on sale so you're probably going to eat the premium on it. Like their big commemorative sale for the Switch presentation was headlined by like an $8 discount on Happy Home Academy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Mainly so you can charge the joycons as you play with the Switch docked and then when you're ready to go you don't need to worry about them being low on batteries.

But their charge is 10 hours each. I guess there is the rare situation where someone needs to play 10 hours straight on their TV then pick up the thing and play another 3 hours on the go. But....

Yeah, I think the thing is pretty useless. Kind of like those wireless phone chargers that save you the 2 seconds it takes to plug in your phone.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

deadwing posted:

Seriously mobile Stardew Valley will be the literal game of the forever

Especially if they allow touch controls in menus

I'd forgotten this was going to happen.

Mario, Zelda, Xenoblade, Octopath Traveler, Mario Kart, and now on my list of things to play on the Switch so far. Hopefully they don't take too long to announce Pokemon Star or w/e the Switch title will be called.

Andrast posted:

You just described awakening endgame. Birthright has a tendency to put hordes at you like awakening but the mechanics are better so it's not as bad and Conquest doesn't do it at all.

Didn't Radiant Dawn do this too? I remember being interested in that game until a friend sent me some shots of the battlefield where it was like 40+ enemies and good lord those fights looked tedious.

Jimmy Hats posted:

Waluigi is getting his own game: It's going to be a spin-off of the ?popular? anime Atelier series

It's a visual novel from the makers of Hatoful Boyfriend.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

enojy posted:

I know, right? Hundreds of pages of hot steamy bickering poo poo from a bunch of manchildren, and not a god damned peep that the fat rear end cat from the Splatoon scoreboard now has an adorable lil buddy.

I need to know the lore behind this tiny bub. Judd. Tiny Jubb.

I thought all mammals were long gone. Did they try to clone Judd and it went horribly right?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I thought all mammals were long gone. Did they try to clone Judd and it went horribly right?

Life finds a way

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

finally the reproductive programs of the future are yielding results

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Excuse me, thread.

please do not post small judd

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

tenderjerk posted:

:smith: I've done too many instore preorders that I didn't even think about the online component

It sounded like they only took too many online preorders. It would suck if that happened for the instore ones too

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 17, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

musous are good

e: good musous are good

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Waltzing Along posted:

Cause I'm buying a second pair of joycons. I don't want to keep track of which ones I've had on the system charging or not, I'd rather plug everything in when I'm done.

Waltzing Along posted:

But their charge is 10 hours each. I guess there is the rare situation where someone needs to play 10 hours straight on their TV then pick up the thing and play another 3 hours on the go.

Their charge is 20 hours each. Someone in the thread said it was 20 hours total, ten hours each, but that was a joke.

greatn fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 17, 2017

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

io_burn posted:

After buying 2 or 3 carts, I went full digital and now have around 50 games downloaded onto my 3DS It's definitely the way to go if you don't play on reselling. Having your whole library on you at all times is easily worth paying a little more for some (SOME) downloadable games.

By some, I mean that first party titles basically never go on sale. I bought Mario Golf a few weeks ago and it cost $30, which I assume was its launch price, and that's a pretty old game. That said, most of my library is third party, and that stuff does go on sale from time to time. I got Monster Hunters Generations for $20 bucks, 50% off, around the same time I got Mario Golf.

So yes, on balance, expect to pay a little more if you go digital, but the convenience easily makes that worth it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

greatn posted:

Cause I'm buying a second pair of joycons. I don't want to keep track of which ones I've had on the system charging or not, I'd rather plug everything in when I'm done

Ah. That makes sense.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I might get some more joycons if Snipperclips has enough four player content.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

If you want to play on your TV while your joycons are low on battery, the charging grip is the only way to do that.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I might be a bit weird here but I buy games that come on carts in physical form cause I like handling them and the click when you plug them into a system :shobon:

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

The Pirate Captain posted:

After buying 2 or 3 carts, I went full digital and now have around 50 games downloaded onto my 3DS It's definitely the way to go if you don't play on reselling. Having your whole library on you at all times is easily worth paying a little more for some (SOME) downloadable games.

By some, I mean that first party titles basically never go on sale. I bought Mario Golf a few weeks ago and it cost $30, which I assume was its launch price, and that's a pretty old game. That said, most of my library is third party, and that stuff does go on sale from time to time. I got Monster Hunters Generations for $20 bucks, 50% off, around the same time I got Mario Golf.

So yes, on balance, expect to pay a little more if you go digital, but the convenience easily makes that worth it.

Is there a good way to track these sales short of just loading the eShop up all the time?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Also remember Prime gives you discount on games if you pre order if you are going to get them as they release.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

io_burn posted:

Is there a good way to track these sales short of just loading the eShop up all the time?

That's what I do, just load it up once a week and check. If there's a better way to do it, I don't know, sorry.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
So is anyone here going to forego the pro controllers and just get multiple joycons? Was thinking about it myself because of all the positive reviews of the joycons but haven't fully decided because they're also $10 more than the pro controllers.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'm stoked for Snipperclips and have been showing my girlfriend the videos in the hope it makes her less frustrated with her 29 year old boyfriend who just bought the new Nintendo.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Compared to the Wii and WiiU I don't really see a point for the pro controller unless I REALLY need a D-Pad for some reason?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

InFlames235 posted:

So is anyone here going to forego the pro controllers and just get multiple joycons? Was thinking about it myself because of all the positive reviews of the joycons but haven't fully decided because they're also $10 more than the pro controllers.

For me it's going to depend on how much I like the feel of the joycon grip. If I find myself not liking the form factor, or wishing for a real D-Pad for VC games, I'll get a Pro. Otherwise, I'll save my money.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

io_burn posted:

I'm thinking of going 100% digital on Switch game purchases this time around. A friend of mine got his 3DS real late in the product cycle and just bought everything on the eShop and it seems so much nicer than me juggling around a bunch of dumb cartridges and (typically) being locked into playing whatever game I have in my cartridge slot at the time when I'm out somewhere. Is signing on for this just locking myself into always paying more for games and dealing with a bunch of DRM hassles or have things gotten better? There's no way to preorder eShop codes from Amazon to take advantage of the 20% Prime bonus, is there?

I bought a n3dsxl yesterday and it owns lol

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

InFlames235 posted:

Probably won't ever buy an accessory this time around, thank god. Maybe a screen protector. I've heard the Joy-Con grip is really comfortable, I don't really think I need a proper D-pad, and 10 hours of battery life in a day is plenty to me.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

InFlames235 posted:

If someone puts out a joycon within the first few months that has a good dpad, I'll get that, otherwise I'll get the pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Waltzing Along posted:

Maybe we need two threads. A hate thread and a love thread. Then the fanboys can have their hug box and the haters can yell at each other and smugly post about how everything sucks. Then we can switch the thread titles.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Leave this thread as the hate thread and I will make the actual Switch thread

I thought Fates had some of the best balance and map design in the series so take that as you will

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Protip: When you make the new thread, add a "No Jim Sterling discussion" rule. You will thank me.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I will personally report anyone who brings up Jim Sterling in the Switch hugbox thread

These are some good ideas. You should PM or message VideoGames the mod, he would definitely support this and like to hear your feedback and thoughts.

• Locked thread