Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
should I post in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
alright. I don't think I like nintendo much.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
the gameboy advance and the ds were cool but I dislike the grand majority of nintendo's home console output.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I wonder the same thing but for Sega.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Nomad. Should've called it the Nobad

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Remember when Soul Calibur had Link

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Who did Playstation and Xbox get for their bonus characters?

Playstation got the old guy from Tekken (ok I guess) and Xbox got Spawn (lmao)

MotU posted:

heihachi and spawn respectively
What the gently caress dude were you just sitting there, perched, waiting to steal this from under me?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The Xbox was bad, but not as bad as the Gamecube.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I would rather play Halo online with my buddies than loving Double Dash or whatever actually.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm so, so sorry for you.

Personally I feel sorry for the kind of people who force their friends to play gimmicky party games over enjoyable competition.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It kind of reminds me of the PS3 prototype boomerang controller:

I still have no idea why this exists

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I never played Double Dash and I have no desire to.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Junpei Hyde posted:

It's one of the best racing games ever made.

Yeah but uh...No.

Junpei Hyde posted:

The problem is that would legitimately be better than any video game.
Also this.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

DoubleDonut posted:

you didn't play it

I don't have to personally tear open the plastic bag and gnaw on an empty McDonald's coffee cup to know I probably wouldn't enjoy eating literal garbage.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

DoubleDonut posted:

Good thing Double Dash is a video game, and not literal garbage, so you do actually have to have played it to have any kind of opinion on it

Well that's just about the wrongest thing I've ever heard.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
If the only time you're allowed to make a judgement call on media is by personally experiencing it firsthand for an arbitrary length of time then I hope you've never ever decided something wasn't worth your time. After all, how would you know unless you experienced it yourself????

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
"Hey did you go see Batman V Superman" "nah the trailer made it look kind of stupid" "wtf you moron how could you say that without watching the whole thing???"

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Naw. But what didn't you like about Double Dash?

It's gimmicky bullshit.

DoubleDonut posted:

You actually literally do have to have experienced it for any amount of time to have an opinion on its quality, yeah

So what is the point of pre-release media then?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

DoubleDonut posted:

Do you know what "advertising" is

So you recognise that people are able to form opinions on things without first experiencing them, yet somehow this is invalid when that opinion is negative.

Xavier434 posted:

You do realize that is possible to choose not to spend your time doing something while simultaneously not passing judgement on it right?

Choosing to not spend your time on something is a judgemental act, you are saying that your time is worth more than whatever it is you're not doing.

Adding an extra character to your vehicle does not deepen or enhance the base experience of Mario Kart in any significant way, as evidenced by the fact that it was removed in the sequel.

You (generic "you" here) realize that regardless of your own opinions on Mario Kart Colon Double Dash, "it's the best racing game ever made" is indefensible hyperbole, right? What would Mario Kart 8 be then? A disappointing followup?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

agree, it is laughable to spend that much effort talking about Double Dash, mea culpa.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I would disagree insofar as the two player co-op races were very fun. Letting my copilot handle items so I could focus on driving, and vice versa, made for a different kind of game than usual. And the two racer feature didn't hurt the game design at all. Double Dash has some of the best MK tracks ever.

Well that's fine, so long as you don't call it "the best racing game ever made".

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't really go for absolutes in games.

It's okay to like things! It is also okay to dislike things.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's rather curious that the exact same people always show up to make one word poo poo posts whenever I disagree with commonly held perceptions.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
My favourite Mario Kart is the second-worst selling one on the worst-selling console of its generation with the untenable gimmick

this is the one that is "literally the best racing game"

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

best racing game ever!!!

e sorry I keep forgetting I'm on a retina display

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
how is nintendo still around

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Quality 1st party games, dominance of the handheld market, strongest IPs in gaming.

so "inertia"

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't think you can attribute any of that to inertia.

you can definitely attribute the handheld dominance to inertia since they got an early lead so massive it's difficult to compete

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
nintendo snowballed into a position of handheld dominance and by the time anyone else could compete handhelds as a platform stopped being profitable, it's kind of sad really.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Stux posted:

actually handhelds are really interesting here as well bcos sony hosed up really badly. the PSP sold really well and put them in a great position but they went and released the vita next so rip. never mind tho cos as u said its a dead market anyway, and has shrunk by a ridiculous amount between the DS/PSP and 3ds/vita gens

it's really hosed up that the vita is capable of actually emulating things and the PSN actually has sales and price drops and deals yet nintendo gets all the virtual console rights, time to go play all my favourite game gear games

Bass Bottles posted:

Hey are you an Stux gonna fuse to form Malachite

we're good friends and neither of us would force the other into anything

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Stux posted:

to be fair though the vita memory cards are inexcusable and v dumb.

Esp. since you can't fool it with an adapter any more.

Eonwe posted:

they make good games
debatable

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I can play Metal Gear Solid and Symphony of the Night and Resident Evil 2 on my Vita exactly like they were 20~ years ago and the original 3ds couldn't emulate snes games lol

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Eonwe posted:

i play SNES games on my SNES

I'm sorry

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
the snes is Bad.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
the SNES has the good shadowrun game and castlevania 4 (which I don't like nearly as much as Dracula X but w/e I understand that's a personal preference thing) and not much else.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Motto posted:

Sony could've beat the 3DS after its initial stumble if they hadn't hosed the Vita even worse.

isn't it saying something that literally the only company that tried to seriously compete with nintendo after the 90s is the one that released the juggernaut PS2?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Aside from the memory card issue and the price of the games pretty much every criticism you can level against the Vita not having a breakout success you can also level against the 3DS

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Didn't the 3DS also have horrible pricing problems

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Stux posted:

yeah but they did actually cut the price, plus the inertia

yeah that was sort of my point, they both had horrible horrible launches that mostly mirrored each other but the 3DS survived because Nintendo Is Handhelds and Sony doesn't get that luxury.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The Vita has a bunch of really good, really interesting games but they're all new IPs so nobody wanted to buy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Germstore posted:

Oh look, it's Stux making GBS threads up a not-Sony thread.

A+ contribution

lmao I can't imagine a worse time to come in and make a drive-by shitpost calling out a guy you don't like than in the middle of a reasonable discussion of the merits/failings of the 3ds compared to the vita

• Locked thread