Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I forgot something actually true about the NX.

http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/nintendo-nx-specs-rumors-nx-can-sync-with-bluetooth-has-power-comparable-to-xbox-one/39275.htm

Nintendo's operating system for the console will NOT be Android as previously rumored, but a proprietary OS called... NintendOS.

NintenDOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

InFlames235 posted:

Reading that Nvidia is supposedly set to announce the Tegra X2 today at the Hot Chips event. Will give us our first look into exactly how powerful it's gonna be and if Nintendo announces a direct shortly after, that may be a clue that it's in the NX

Nintendo announced the WiiU using a GPU similar to the HD 4670 the same year AMD announced and released their HD 7XXX series GPUs.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

greatn posted:

The Parker(X2) specs are actually not extraordinarily more powerful than X1, but are 60% more power efficient, which sounds Nintendo as gently caress and would be really good for a handheld console.

The CPU on the original 3DS was also two generations behind :v:

I honestly think they'll be using a semi-custom design from Nvidia instead of an off the shelf SoC, but we'll see.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Decus posted:

The Switch is going to get plenty of 3rd party support just like 3DS, though western devs are up in the air. Like, I would be very surprised if bethesda puts the newest TES game on Switch versus just putting their trading card game on it but it's not at all like Wii was. And if the system sells it won't at all be like WiiU was.

Wii vs. PS3/360 comparisons don't work quite as well here because the gap between Switch and a modern console won't be quite that large, especially in terms of their CPUs. The issue with the Wii and it getting ports was less "they would have had to make a lovely looking version" and more "it literally cannot run the game as designed, no matter what you do about the lighting, shading, textures, etc.".

Sure, the GPU will probably be at feature parity or at least pretty close to PS4, but being limited to ~1/20 of the TDP the other consoles are pushing means you're not going to see straight ports without huge sacrifices.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

From the Jetson TX1 dev board: 4 GB LPDDR4 | 25.6 GB/s
Xbone: 8GB DDR3 68.3 GB/s
PS4: 8GB GDDR5 176 GB/s

They might have upgraded the memory controller but I dunno

LPDDR is optimized for low power (hence LP), you're not going to see much of a difference between the rumored specs and the end product. Nvidia's delta compression implementation is slightly better than AMD's and 720p target resolution means the memory bandwidth probably won't be a bottleneck.

I have to agree with BreakAtmo, it looks like a portable WiiU+ and not a direct PS4/Xbo competitor.

• Locked thread