Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do we know if the switch supports USB Power Delivery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Overwatch is dead to me until they properly support 21:9.

Bring on splatoon, a shooter which also doesn't support 21:9, but it's portable dammit

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

orphean posted:

A bit earlier in the thread there was a good post talking about the battery life on the switch and how Nintendo basically stuffed the absolute largest battery they could into it without increasing the size of the tablet housing.

Anyway, as part of that post, apparently the Switch has all the hardware it needs to do USB-PD and given the recharge time vs size of battery pretty much has to be using USB-PD even though its not officially announced or anything.

FWIW (very little :v:)

Upon further reading, some reports say that it takes 3 hours to charge, despite its 2.5-6hr life...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dont be mean to me posted:

Given the incomprehensibly hosed state of USB Type-C I'd argue Nintendo has a duty to limit chargers.

On the other hand, I'd argue they'd also have a duty to let third-party accessory manufacturers know what's up to make chargers that work and don't suck, but the current state of human ethics is 'lol nothing matters' so.

The last thing we need is even more proprietary bullshit using USB C.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah I mean I know their whole thing is to nitpick. I just don't think he saw the game running at 59fps and thought "whats with this constant stutter"

A constant, duplicated frame is pretty noticeable. The frametime at 60FPS is 16.6ms. A duplicate frame means the frametime is 33ms, which matches up with the frametime graph. You're looking at a consistent drop to 30FPS just over every second.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nintendo please add IRC support.

Seriously I'd actually use it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Larrymer posted:

Just realized there isn't an ethernet port on the dock. Add on one more accessory that's $50.

Or use literally any USB to Ethernet adapter.

Or use wifi.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rIJmGj4g-s

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ohtsam posted:

Doom comes to everything and everyone.

Heres hoping for an enhanced Doom64 port

How long before we get Doom running on a Joycon? HD Rumble is used to navigate the environment.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

I don't care. Nintendo's art direction is good enough where I don't need super loving realistic graphics. If Nintendo can make 1080p/60 and 720p/60 undocked games I'd be fine with games that looked as good or slightly better than Wii U games did.

That doesn't seem to be the case, if BotW is anything to go by.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

Posted this in the FE thread but it's also relevant here

from the code here you can find the following:

???

e:

Oh, for the switch. Interesting.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Pirate Captain posted:

A year is a long time in battery development. The original iPad ran for 10 hours on one charge. The latest iPad, which is like 100x more powerful (I don't know the real number) runs for 12-15 hours.

That's not battery development. That's development in electronics. Aggressive power gating, more efficient screens, etc.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HyperPuma posted:

pretty simple logic

-costs 90 dollars, while hdmi cable costs like 2
-required to make games run at full speed
-mystery box with unknown proprietary technology

Do you even have an inkling of how technology works? In order for the dock to have actual hardware to enhance the game's graphical quality, you'd need some sort of additional processor. If it's an independently more powerful GPU than the Switch and takes over all rendering duties, not only would it need a high speed interconnect like Thunderbolt 3 in order to feed that GPU with data, the dock itself would cost more than 90 dollars. If it's a secondary GPU that works in tandem with the Switch in some sort of miracle on-the-fly franken SLI setup, not only do you introduce huge issues that are inherent to multi-GPU (which has effectively killed multi-GPU on the desktop for now), you still have to implement a high bandwidth low latency protocol to keep the GPUs working on the same datasets.

That 90 dollar piece of plastic does not do either.

e: For fun, here's what an actual dock that enhances graphical performance looks like....without even the GPU yet. http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-core

ee: In case you missed it, the point I'm making with that link is the price. A reliable eGPU setup costs big bucks, even if the markup on this is 400%.

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 17, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

So they spend a year doing that instead.

It's been done. There's technology a year ahead of what Nintendo's using available right now, if the rumors of Tegra X1 are true.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HyperPuma posted:

thats a good point, it could have a heatsink or even some sort of liquid cooling solution. saying its just an empty plastic box for 90 bucks just makes it seem like a cash grab and its disingenuous

Through the shell of the switch? You do realize there's already a portable that uses the Switch's hardware, right? It's the Shield. And it doesn't downclock it. Nintendo's downclocked the hardware for battery life, not thermal concerns.

e: Also, a liquid cooling solution in that small a space? To a self-contained portable unit? Have you looked into liquid cooling at all?

Then do that for a year instead, use a better chip and focus on making it as energy efficient as the one they're using now. Someone earlier in the thread told me that's what the iPad is doing. They have lots of options here.

Nintendo doesn't develop CPU or GPU chips.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As someone who is looking forward to the switch and has already preordered it and a game, I literally cannot fathom why someone would leap through hoops to try and justify a company's greed. We already know Nintendo overprices their accessories. It's blatant. It's inexcusable. And it's also the damned status quo. It's not any different from the past, just deal with it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HyperPuma posted:

the shield is only like 200 iirc, so id imagine the switch is using a beefed up custom version of that chip like sony and ms do

What the hell does that have to do with the dock? And have you been keeping up at all with the hardware leaks?

Why am I arguing with someone who belongs on loving gamefaqs?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Look, you're obviously trolling me but for everyone else, all I'm trying to say is that if they release the Switch a year from now it would be better but cost the same to make. What path they would theoretically take to get there doesn't matter.

No poo poo? Waiting for better hardware is always a thing, and eventually you have to stop and say "We're buying in now." That's the same fallacy a lot of system builders fall into, because there's always better tech just around the corner. I don't get what point you're trying to make here.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HyperPuma posted:

you brought up the shield not me. my point is that its an apples to oranges comparison

You're on some completely different discussion here. I was responding to your comments about the dock. The dock's potential for having rendering hardware. The dock's potential for magic cooling solutions. I was responding to your absurd justifications for it costing 90 dollars, not justifying or arguing about the Switch's internals.

Let me spell it out for you. The internals on the Switch do not require additional cooling miracle cooling to reach their stock clocks, as evidenced by the Shield Tablet, which contains very similar if not identical internals, not requiring a dock to do so. The internals on the switch are downclocked in portable mode to save power. The dock "unlocks" better rendering by plugging the damned thing into a wall so it doesn't drain its battery in 45 minutes when it clocks the internals back up.

Is that enough for you? Or are you going to continue to change the conversation?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sure but everyone else is saying that they would lose DS sales by doing that, and I'm saying that if you buy into the theory that they would be more profitable by doing that, they should delay the Switch for a year. By releasing the Switch as a console they're doing the same thing as they did before, and

Okay? Sure, benefits and trade offs. I wasn't making any claims about cannibalization and I appear to have accidentally picked up on that thread of discussion while skimming posts and banging my head against a wall. Sorry.

HyperPuma posted:

if my justification for it costing 90 dollars is absurd, then what is yours?

Nintendo's the only one selling the damned things? They could sell it for 150 and what's even going to happen? How many random Switch buyers even want a second TV dock, even if it were 50 bucks? 30?

e: So that this isn't somehow misread either, the gist of it is that docks are low volume items. Thus they can be high margin. And in this case, Nintendo's the only one supplying them.

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 17, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Goons are dumb, I'm even dumber.

It's late, I'm going to bed. Wake me up when the Switch launches.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Instant Sunrise posted:

3DS launched in March

it's launch is probably not the model nintendo should go with

But hey I got a few roms and this ambassador certificate!!!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Advance Wars is better.

A shame the series is dead. I played countless hours of it on my GBA and DS.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suspect that the Switch might do video out either via Display Port (like Thunderbolt 3) and converts to HDMI (which, surprisingly, is how the PS4 is set up internally), or it just uses HDMI-MHL like a cell phone/tablet.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
720p is fine if it has a solid framerate, 60fps preferred.

Smooth and stable gameplay is pretty nice yo.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just want a multiplayer only advance wars.

Campaign is nice, but if removing it would get one released sometime this decade...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm trying to imagine a blown up 900p version of fates that still uses the godawful 3DS models and textures. Like man, what a ugly rear end game

That's actually a possible thing to see. There's an emulator for 3DS, Citra, that can render at higher resolutions. It's actually not too bad, but the textures can be awful.

around 9:50

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
For those of you that have played the new Pokemon RBY with online capabilities on the 3DS, what's that like? Afaik, that's the best example we have for these online capable VC games we'll be getting to play.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do people really think Sony didn't have a d-pad? Have you never used a dual shock before?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spellman posted:

It's such a stupid loving controller, how do you people even play with this

This is why they remedied it with the dual shock, of course :colbert:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Taking off time to do things you enjoy is completely reasonable and okay. People shouldn't judge others for their hobbies. Thanks for listening.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Is there even enough room on a switch cart to store all the high res faces from LA Noire? It came on 3-4 DVDs.

3 4.7GB DVDs comes to 14.1GB, which is definitely doable.

4 8.5GB DVDs comes to 34GB...which is still doable, I believe. What's the maximum on nintendo carts? It's got to be at least 64GB, right?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm waiting for power specs and then just find a basic USB AC adapter. The wall wart can stay at home behind an entertainment center.

15v, 2.6A. Probably using USB Power Delivery, unless Nintendo went proprietary.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This is first among many reasons that USB Type-C is a goddamn mess that needs to be replaced pretty much out of the gate.

Also the same port is used with Thunderbolt 3.0 devices, and while Thunderbolt ports can talk to USB-C devices, USB-C-only ports can't talk to Thunderbolt devices.

USB C is a port. You may as well be complaining about USB A or USB B. Thunderbolt is a super set of USB 3.1. Complain about devices that decided to only implement thunderbolt and not fall back to USB 3.1.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

a.lo posted:

how do I get a drat switch

There are several online BDSM communities that could help you.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If it uses USB PD, you could use any good USB C PD charger and not worry about it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Isn't the bottom screen TN no matter which way or something?

Both screens can be IPS. And I actually have a bottom IPS, top TN. the difference is noticeable, and if you've ever used an IPS panel for a monitor it's hard to go back to cheap TNs.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

Are there codes or something for identifying them? This intrigues me.

You can tell by looking at them, or if you're able to run homebrew, 3DS ident can query the hardware and identify based on manufacturer and such.

Generally if you can't tell, though, don't try to find the better IPS displays. It can be a case of "you don't know what you're missing" and ruin you once you see the difference. Just be happy with what you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Phones have a high DPI and it's noticeable. Not-as-high DPI is sad but the Vita's DPI is still great. Switch will be okay.

• Locked thread