Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

yeah that's what the games industry needs, less competition

nintendo's not really competition for anybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

Don't know how a phone could match the 3ds.

Mobile gaming has supplanted handhelds for most of handheld gaming's former largest audience, kids and casual players.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I certainly wouldn't point to them as the reason behind the PS4's success, but there are a good number of smaller third party titles that are either only on Sony platforms or are Sony/PC.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I wonder whether smaller japanese devs that usually go handheld will eventually default to the NX in absence of a sony handheld or if they'll just let that market die and hope foreign PS4 sales make up for it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

So you recognise that people are able to form opinions on things without first experiencing them, yet somehow this is invalid when that opinion is negative.

Choosing to not spend your time on something is a judgemental act, you are saying that your time is worth more than whatever it is you're not doing.

Adding an extra character to your vehicle does not deepen or enhance the base experience of Mario Kart in any significant way, as evidenced by the fact that it was removed in the sequel.

You (generic "you" here) realize that regardless of your own opinions on Mario Kart Colon Double Dash, "it's the best racing game ever made" is indefensible hyperbole, right? What would Mario Kart 8 be then? A disappointing followup?

lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

you can definitely attribute the handheld dominance to inertia since they got an early lead so massive it's difficult to compete

Sony could've beat the 3DS after its initial stumble if they hadn't hosed the Vita even worse.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bass Bottles posted:

Tbh the main reason the 3ds stumbled was that the handheld market was already dead so idk about this

2011 was a prett bad year for it on account of having no games and being overpriced. It only managed it gain its current sub-PSP sales after the pricecut.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The 3D Marios were great until they decided that they needed absolute brand uniformity.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

lol if you think last guardian is being released

It's

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In retrospect TLG's delays aren't a big deal, the bulk of it was probably just the PS3 to PS4 shift.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'll have you know that Persona is one of the best dating sims on the market

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Stux posted:

anyway here is the official list of possible GOTYs for 2016. no arguing, this is objective fact:

dark souls 3 of course
persona 5
nier 2
the last guardian
no mans sky

wildcare outside option: horizon

as u can see they are all on ps4, and all but 2 are exclusive. thanks sony for the best platform for games yet again *kisses fingers and raises them to god (kaz)*

I care about one of these

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I hope Nintendo continued to toss money at improbable sequels and collaborative projects.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

It'll support standard memory cards and have far fewer anime titties.

Well, the smaller JP devs that made Vita games won't have any other choice for a handheld platform going forward if the NX succeeds, though the far more likely possibility is them sticking with Vita for a tad longer while shifting to either PS4 or mobile.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Okay, so they are going to do both at once and be good at neither as a result.

:confused: I don't understand how not killing off every other division means that stuff like the AC mobile game has to fail.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

red steel 2 was pretty cool and let you be a silly samurai cowboy

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 23, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

BillmasterCozb posted:

"baggage?"

i just dont like the dumb qr code puzzles.

:stare:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

If you never want to receive negative attention, don't open an avenue of communication with the entire world and shout, "hey look at me here are my opinions and things I have done!"

screaming at a dude online, especially as part of a mob, really isn't any more acceptable than doing it over the phone. the only difference is how easy it is for people to work up the guts and hide their identities in doing so.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Splatoon was really dang popular considering its platform, and it's already had tournaments in japan.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

mario maker was kinda bad

good thing it got reworked into super mario maker

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

RIP Etrian Odyssey

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

as someone who's never played Smash seriously, Melee's cool because you actually die at 100% instead of floating back again and again

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

With amiibo I remember people saying the shortages were only a thing in NA, less so in other regions.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

'they should've just bought a bunch of rando fans up' is always the dumbest take when fanproject chat comes out

That's what SEGA did and the results have been pretty well-received.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

scarequotes making

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Would be a weird move considering they just recently demonstrated it on WiiU.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Pomp posted:

there is no noteworthy exclusive for the thing except bloodborne, unless you like console shooters (lol) or reeeeaaaaaallllllly like uncharted rollercoasters.

At least until Persona 5.

Gen sucks.

who cares about exclusives, less people being able to play it wouldn't have made nier automata any better

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Pomp posted:

that's not really the point

The wii u is the only one of the current consoles with more than one or two games worth buying that I can't get on my pc. My PS4 is a paperweight that only sticks around for the time between console and PC releases of fighting games at this point.

PCs are for spreadsheets

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, after the NSMB series sold a billion copies they reigned the #Brand in hard.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

People were goofy about it, but 3D World's initial trailers were pretty conservative; they didn't start showing off the game's strengths until a few months out.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I had to google it. I remember vaguely hearing about the original at one point, I had no idea any more were made.

One was unlocalized and another was a Walmart exclusive.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What's a vita

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Andrast posted:

There's plenty of stuff to play on a Vita if you like JRPGs.

Otherwise, not so much.

tbf this would be fairly true of the 3DS as well if not for first party titles

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

greatn posted:

Not sure where you're getting this. The Wii has a very high software attach rate, like 8 or 9.

Yeah, Wii owners bought games, but they were mostly casual games or other Nintendo titles. Hence the lack of "real" 3rd party support after a point.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

People still talk about other m because it's the last main metroid game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

protip: it's possible to talk about a company without excusing/"explaining" everything away with weird nationality-based generalizations

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Miiverse is the forum-ish thing attached to the 3DS and WiiU.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

W101 has issues but I wasn't aware it was divisive.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

It has exactly as much as any other Dynasty Warriors game and nothing more.

Yeah it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The prelaunch doomsaying is amusing in retrospect, but the people who still insist that splatoon somehow failed are funnier.

• Locked thread