Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I went back to 2013 to confirm if I was remembering right about people hating 3D World when it was first announced, to the point some were convincing themselves all it was going to be was a slightly upscaled version of 3D Land.

It's an incredible game. That, plus Chronicles X and 3-4 other titles would unironically make me buy a Wii U right now if I didn't suspect that they'll be re-released for Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

all the good wii u games will be coming to the switch. so smash, pikmin, mario kart, and tokyo mirage sessions. please look forward to them

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

plus some fkn gamecube remasters i imagine

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

People were goofy about it, but 3D World's initial trailers were pretty conservative; they didn't start showing off the game's strengths until a few months out.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Super No Vacancy posted:

all the good wii u games will be coming to the switch. so smash, pikmin, mario kart, and tokyo mirage sessions. please look forward to them

you didnt include super mario 3d world, was that a mistake

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
They're only available if the Switch detects a true love and appreciation for the Wii U, though

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Dr Cheeto posted:

They're only available if the Switch detects a true love and appreciation for the Wii U, though

mine was just tough love, the best kind of love

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do we know how the joycon will act as a pointer? I know it has the camera on the bottom, but I didn't see anywhere that mentions what it uses for reference. Unless the dock has IR LEDs on it and then setup has you configure where your dock is compared to the TV. There's a third connector somewhere on it, so maybe there's a sensor bar you can plug in.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

People were goofy about it, but 3D World's initial trailers were pretty conservative; they didn't start showing off the game's strengths until a few months out.

If that first trailer was all I saw of the game I would not have bought it

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Cojawfee posted:

Do we know how the joycon will act as a pointer? I know it has the camera on the bottom, but I didn't see anywhere that mentions what it uses for reference. Unless the dock has IR LEDs on it and then setup has you configure where your dock is compared to the TV. There's a third connector somewhere on it, so maybe there's a sensor bar you can plug in.

The Google Daydream VR remote works well without a IR bar to guide it.

As long as you reset it when it drifts off center.

I guess it will be like skyward sword Wii motion plus.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Motto posted:

I found this quote that puts it best:

quote:

the first trailer is always Iwata or Miyamoto going "look, this is Game. in this title, you can use a bamfodad and it does a thing. that is the new feature. we hope you are looking forward to it, thank you" and everyone's all "oh farts this is dull and Lacks Whimsy And Soul" and then like three months later there's a trailer showing off a bunch of levels and environments and gameplay and everyone's all "choo choo hype train thread game of the forever"

I also recalled how some people were really offended by Link Between Worlds when it was first shown off like, a few months before that year's E3 and they were thinking it was going to be literally just Link to The Past but with ugly 3D graphics.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Unless the dock has IR LEDs on it and then setup has you configure where your dock is compared to the TV.

I think I read a rumor article confirming this. When the console is docked, a sensor turns on at the top. That might be why there's a little sliver that doesn't fit in the dock. I don't think they'll sell separate sensor bars, because that's another separate piece of plastic to lug around.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Super No Vacancy posted:

I shouldn't have gotten the wiiu last year. I should've waited. :(

Serious post: what are the odds of them continuing series that seemingly bombed (either among fans, critics or sales) over the past gen.

I'm thinking along the lines of chibi robo, star fox, paper Mario and metroid

On the note of metroid, I'm thinking about getting the prime trilogy but I know it's largely first person. As someone who, outside of Doom and dungeon crawlers like EO, who doesn't like first person perspectives are the games still worth a play?

I really loved super metroid and metroid 2

Edit: also thank god for TMS. such a refreshingly fantastic game in an otherwise piss year for the console.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hope mario either has the same color stash as hair this gen or canonically blackens his stash with a colored styling product.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc_AYYzytcE

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

SylvainMustach posted:

On the note of metroid, I'm thinking about getting the prime trilogy but I know it's largely first person. As someone who, outside of Doom and dungeon crawlers like EO, who doesn't like first person perspectives are the games still worth a play?

They aren't real first person shooters. You can only manually aim by stopping and holding a button IIRC, you're mostly just locking onto things and dodging around while firing shots that can't miss what you're locked onto.

They were right when they sold the first MP as a First Person Adventure.

e: Oh I misread your post. I mean, people consider them classics and absolutely love them. As someone who plays loads of first person shooters and stuff like Fallout and Skyrim, I didn't actually really enjoy the Prime series. But they are beloved for a reason, I guess, they just didn't hit for me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Chibi Robo and Starfox have been mothballed. Both recent games were explicit do-or-die titles and they both flopped.

Paper Mario will continue; the producer implied they're done with the sticker battle system but the "no new NPCs" thing will probably remain as per Miyamoto's instruction.

I wouldn't dare guess what'll happen with Metroid but seriously what the gently caress is Retro doing right now?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Soul Glo posted:

They aren't real first person shooters. You can only manually aim by stopping and holding a button IIRC, you're mostly just locking onto things and dodging around while firing shots that can't miss what you're locked onto.

They were right when they sold the first MP as a First Person Adventure.

e: Oh I misread your post. I mean, people consider them classics and absolutely love them. As someone who plays loads of first person shooters and stuff like Fallout and Skyrim, I didn't actually really enjoy the Prime series. But they are beloved for a reason, I guess, they just didn't hit for me.

Metroid Prime 3 and the Trilogy versions of 1/2 use the Wiimote pointer for traditional FPS controls.

That said, they absolutely aren't traditional FPS games and the combat is a relatively minor part of the experience. They're very broadly comparable to Zelda games minus all the adventure game stuff.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Metroid Prime 3 and the Trilogy versions of 1/2 use the Wiimote pointer for traditional FPS controls.

That said, they absolutely aren't traditional FPS games and the combat is a relatively minor part of the experience. They're very broadly comparable to Zelda games minus all the adventure game stuff.

Oh yeah, sure. I just remember playing MP 1 and 2 on Gamecube.

I do own a copy of the Wii collection when I was trying to give those games another chance, but yowza do I hate using Wii Remotes for aiming in shooters.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Chibi Robo and Starfox have been mothballed. Both recent games were explicit do-or-die titles and they both flopped.

Paper Mario will continue; the producer implied they're done with the sticker battle system but the "no new NPCs" thing will probably remain as per Miyamoto's instruction.

I wouldn't dare guess what'll happen with Metroid but seriously what the gently caress is Retro doing right now?

How do you know any of this?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I wonder why they decided to make such an important game in the Chibi Robo series loving awful.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

elf help book posted:

Regarding the Paper Mario stuff an interview came out today talking about it: http://nintendoeverything.com/paper-mario-color-splash-producer-on-lack-of-returning-npcs-new-game-would-feature-a-different-system/

And I'm not sure about the do-or-die thing but there's precedent, see: Fire Emblem: Awakening.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
funny cause I have hundreds of hours in the Wii call of duties and think it's the platonic ideal of couch shooter control

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Honestly Chibi-Robo was never popular, to the point that the original publisher Bandai was just going to give up on Skip and the game before Nintendo took over the IP. It's always been just kinda there, and to say that it was anything other than a hidden gem and not even that much of a cult classic is some kind of fine revisionism going on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I tried to play Call of Duty 3 on the Wii but it was way too wonky for me.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Honestly Chibi-Robo was never popular, to the point that the original publisher Bandai was just going to give up on Skip and the game before Nintendo took over the IP. It's always been just kinda there, and to say that it was anything other than a hidden gem and not even that much of a cult classic is some kind of fine revisionism going on.

I had to google it. I remember vaguely hearing about the original at one point, I had no idea any more were made.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I had to google it. I remember vaguely hearing about the original at one point, I had no idea any more were made.

One was unlocalized and another was a Walmart exclusive.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

elf help book posted:

It's just poo poo they say in interviews. The Chibi Robo director was very explicit in saying they were told to make a game with mass appeal that didn't play like a traditional Chibi Robo game and that their primary goal was to turn Chibi Robo into a marketeable character, and that the series would not continue if they failed.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The argument has always been that it never had a chance to gain new fans because they sabotaged it at every opportunity, either by making games that deviated too far from what people wanted or by releasing them at the wrong time, in the wrong place, etc (or just not releasing them in English).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheKingofSprings posted:

Regarding the Paper Mario stuff an interview came out today talking about it: http://nintendoeverything.com/paper-mario-color-splash-producer-on-lack-of-returning-npcs-new-game-would-feature-a-different-system/

And I'm not sure about the do-or-die thing but there's precedent, see: Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I don't know about the whole No New NPCs thing. ‘Could you make a game with only characters from the Mario family?’ is vague and Color Splash had character, granted only toads and titles as names, that were kinda like the older Paper Mario games, so it doesn't seem like there's anything stopping them from expanding to the other Mario characters such Goombas and Koopas putting a hat or clothes on them and calling them a new character just like the older Paper Mario games.

Now the completely original characters such as X-Nauts, Shadow Sirens, or everything in Super Paper Mario are a different story. Which could be a problem, but Mario has a lot of different characters to work with and that's on Intelligent Systems if they don't take advantage of it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alphadream usually is allowed to create NPCs but that's because it's Mario & Luigi and not Paper Mario. which is weird. nintendo's decided it's ok for one and not the other

(Paper Jam was light on NPCs but I'd say that's specifically because it involved Paper Mario)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They must have strict internal rules about which characters can appear in which contexts because even mainstream characters like Donkey Kong or Wario rarely show up in traditional single-player Mario games.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Alphadream usually is allowed to create NPCs but that's because it's Mario & Luigi and not Paper Mario. which is weird. nintendo's decided it's ok for one and not the other

(Paper Jam was light on NPCs but I'd say that's specifically because it involved Paper Mario)

This is hearsay but apparently there were some disagreements about that going on during Dream Team?

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I saw the chibi robo interview before but never star fox. I read someone talking about its awful sales on Twitter but nothing from the devs or company (outside of miyamoto saying that he wished people would enjoy it/give it another chance... Something about playing like children. I don't remember).

How well did color splash end up selling? I also wonder if they'll take into account the low wiiu sales in general when considering how poorly some of the franchises sold.

I do think it's interesting that, of all the titles they felt like playing safe, the one where they deviated the most control-wise was SF.

Every few months I try to get into it again only to end up frustrated. Motion aiming aside (which I can deal with) I never felt like I could comfortably or swiftly turn in all range mode.

Some warped part of me really wants to enjoy it because it does look really nice and runs real smooth.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is hearsay but apparently there were some disagreements about that going on during Dream Team?
Dream Team still had NPCs though, like the nerdy toad who was super gay for pillows

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Color Splash did pretty poo poo numbers as far as I'm aware but I don't know exactly how badly. First week in Japan was about 20k, the first month in the States was apparently around 100k, and the first week over in the UK it debuted at...#14 on their charts I think?

E: Sources for Japan and the U.K. are easy to find but less so for the US so I'll post that one: http://nintendoeverything.com/october-2016-npd-sales-for-paper-mario-color-splash-disney-magical-world-2-more/

It's a Mario game so it'll likely have at least some kind of tail to it and Christmas is coming up, so who knows?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 19, 2016

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SylvainMustach posted:

I really loved super metroid and metroid 2

Prime 1 is one of the best games of all time. It doesn't play like a shooter and doesn't aspire to be one. 2 and 3 are also good with some great highs but also uneven bits. 3 kind of wants to be a shooter which is made clear in its weakest bits.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I've always felt Chibi-Robo had potential. The Gamecube iteration at least left me feeling it could have been a special little gem, but the game felt a bit bland and bare-bones for my taste. I hope they continue exploring the trash collection idea, it runs alongside that Katamari Damacy quirkiness.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Chibi looks like the perfect under-dog cult classic mascot :keke:

zaepg fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 19, 2016

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
The Wii U was nintendo's venture into unified second screen. If you imagine porting Splatoon, you could see the switch has fewer methods of control available, since it must be docked to be used with a television. I don't think this is fully true, at least in the long term. I can imagine a situation where you dock a switch, displaying main gameplay on the TV, and use another like a Wii U tablet.

Now imagine a joycon grip, which you clip to a smarthphone, being used like the gamepad was with the Wii U. Then itself becoming its own independant, portable concept like the switch itself. I think nintendo games are headed in this direction. Kids will play more traditional games, sold by nintendo, on their phones with a joycon grip.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Okay, so, here's the thing.

New Super Mario Bros. DS is near the bottom of the pile of Mario games. It's pretty dull, though trying to get through levels without stopping using the shell suit is pretty fun.
New Super Mario Bros. Wii was extremely good.
New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a bit more interesting than DS, but the main thing is that it's a score attack game, and you're not gonna get the most out of it unless you're really into the idea of replaying levels to get the maximum amount of coins.
New Super Mario Bros. U was also extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not sure if 4 player co-op was worth the price of losing the shell suit

• Locked thread