Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Nintendo has made a serious gently caress up this time around, and when I saw this entire presentation I just have to wonder if they are trying to sabotage themselves into the software only market for 3rd party consoles, because they should have made that transition a long time ago. They have completely lost touch with their market (US market anyway) and while I admit I do not understand the nuances of the Japanese market, I doubt they give two shits about Fifa 17.

$300 for the console without a game. (Par for the course) But $300 on legacy hardware ultimately means they still view the market as profitable from the hardware side. Meanwhile, the entire market is shifting to Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, 4k, higher end graphical power, and still concentrating on the "Fun". Battery life at 3 hours on the go for Zelda. Controllers made for Tyrion Lannister, and showing 4 people hovering around a 7" kick-stand display with another 2 set of controllers that also cost $90 extra. :what:

$70 for the Pro Controller. :suicide:

2 games at launch. One being a major title that everyone is waiting for, but also can be bought for a Wii U. With the very limited power adjustment increase from the Wii U, we won't be seeing much difference in scale between the two consoles from a performance stand point.

Introducing a paid online component to begin in October - When online has NEVER been Nintendo's strong suit. Lack of lobbies, adding friends in a convenient manner, party functionality, the list goes on and on here. They have no experience developing for accessibility in the online arena yet they are going to have the gumption to just stand up a paid service (Can't wait to see how much it costs considering they are charging 70 for a pro controller) to rival PS Plus and Live.

I, aside from some relic designers remaining in the MMORPG industry, have never seen such blatant idiocy in my entire life - and I just have to wonder how... I mean seriously, not trolling - How? How can any organization be this idiotic and stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

suddenlyissoon posted:

Just give it up guys, the dream of Nintendo is over. They don't want to compete, they want to make money on nostalgia and gimmicks. 3 loving Wii type system in a row

So this.

If I didn't know any better and know that executives at Nintendo are just completely out of touch with markets globally, I would say that someone is purposely trying to fail at Nintendo with this console launch to prove a point to another executive that they need to move into a 3rd party development business for their IP's. This entire system is so anti consumer it makes the Xbox One's original launch details look like a a God send to gamers everywhere.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

ghostinmyshell posted:

This is the only thing I've seen about any external drive space. Have you seen something different?

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/497423/Nintendo+Switchs+storage+could+be+expanded+with+USB+drives/

Also, :lol: at USB 2.0.

Introducing Wireless connectivity. Now supporting 802.11b.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

fishing with the fam posted:

I'm surprised by the negative reaction I am reading here. This is the first Nintendo console I have considered buying since the Gamecube. I'll probably pick one up a couple months after launch because gently caress EVER buying a console at launch.

Oh I am sure at some point those that do not have a Wii U and want to play a Zelda and Mario game will grab one on a sale for $149. For me, I want to play the new Zelda, and have a Wii U with a pro controller. So I'll just buy the game on that and maybe consider it in 2018 as a gimmick gift for myself. Nintendo killed themselves with pricing and functionality no one gives a poo poo about with poor hardware and just poorly designed controllers and this whacky way they think people are going to get together in a room and play a 2/4 person coop game on a couch looking at a 7 inch screen on a coffee table. I mean, come on.

Then they go and show a game that may be fun (ARMS) and have yet to talk about when it's online functionality will even be in the game (Unless I did that today and missed it) with VERY limited content - which will still no doubt sell for $59.99.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 13, 2017

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Asema posted:

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

edit; "A FREE LIMITED VERSION" HOLLLLLLYY poo poo loving LMAO and isn't even out at launch.

Wait a minute, they are going to charge for the loving app as well!?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Holyshoot posted:

Why are people mad about paying to play online? Those servers aren't free.

People are not mad about paying to play online.

People are wondering how Nintendo can jump on the bandwagon of charging for online multiplayer when they have limited/no experience in designing a fully functional online system complete with easy to add friends, party chat, library menu systems, UI accessibility, etc. And now? It also looks like a "Free" but limited version of the app to do this on a smartphone (Which, honestly, would be kind of cool but nothing we cannot do today with PS Plus on the Sony app today for free) definitely insinuates they are even going to charge for a premium companion app on a mobile device in addition to paying for online multiplayer.

This is a major shitshow.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

zenintrude posted:

But you have a month to claim them for free...

Read this again:

You get a month to download them for free... sounds like the same system to me.

I read that as "Download this game and you will get to play it for free for a month, and after that, you no longer have access to it". Being that they are loving up everything else with this, I am sure they are loving that up too.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

And there it is folks.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Louisgod posted:

Yeah if you can't read

It's completely 100% obtuse. It states right in the sentence you get to play the game for a month. It says nothing about having a month to download and keeping it forever.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
And now this just in. The Wii U version of Zelda runs better than the Switch version. (Multiple hands on reports from various sites)

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-first-17-minutes-on-ninte/2300-6436629/

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I just want to throw this out there: Consider March being an early release for the console, with an epic game finished. Really they could have waited until holiday 2017 for more games, but they know fans were desperate. Switch is going to blow Wii U out of the water. They have the right mindset on so many different aspects, including portable and creating custom controllers for the system.

Hey Reggie, thanks for coming in to take time out of your day to say hi.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

J-Spot posted:

I'm trying to figure out what accessories to pick up with this. The main unit is going to come with a power supply, right? The A.C. adapter is just for taking it on the go? This feels like a dumb thing to ask but this is the company who released the new 3DS with nothing to power it.

Well, you will want to make sure to buy the $70 pro controller. And if you want to huddle around the 7" screen with 3 other people besides yourself, you will want to get two more joycon's for only $90.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Do you keep clicking on this thread because you've confused it for the one in GBS?

That quoted post had to be an obvious troll attempt knowing how bad this system launch information presentation has been. So I was trying to be tongue in cheek. With everything we know, it's pretty much common fact not to purchase this right now unless you do not have a Wii U to play the new Zelda on come 3/3. Or, like throwing money into a fire pit. It's one of the most universally panned console launches to date, and even dwarves the anti-consumer friendly nickle and diming and lack of value with services that Xbox One did before they did their 180, which we know Nintendo won't do. They will go down with the ship before they admit their 190 mistakes they made with this.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 13, 2017

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Flumbooze posted:

What if I don't have a Wii U to play the new Zelda on AND don't like throwing money into a fire pit?

This is a good question.

Buy a used Wii U with a pro controller. You should be able to snag one for about $100. Then buy Zelda from BB or Amazon using a Gamer Club membership at BB, or Prime on Amazon, and get the game for $47.99. You will be playing Zelda for under $150 my friend.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

VideoGames posted:

This is amazing and hilarious and so Nintendo. Those bell ends.

Just another notch of devaluing current standard services. And hell, these are ports from games in the 90's they won't let us keep after a month.

Today, we are getting games (To keep while we maintain our memberships) on PS Plus which include Demon Souls, Hitman, Thief, A ton of indie... The list goes on. It's incredible they think they will get away with this and people will buy it. If anything, they should be using these games to be free forever to even give them a chance at subscribing to a multiplayer service they have no experience in designing.

Is it Nintendo thinking that they are just this infalliable? One would think after the poo poo show that was the Wii U they would have learned their lesson. This entire product/service launch announcement has been 5 times worse than the Wii U.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 13, 2017

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Takoluka posted:

Anecdotal: my experience with online over PS3 seemed to go up after PS+ became required for PS4 online play, so I like to think that there were some improvements somewhere, despite PSN being garbage in most parts.

Well, Sony also had over 10 years of experience in making multiplayer more user friendly. Nintendo still doesn't let you add friends without a code.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Ok questions:

Why the gently caress would I pay Nintendo of all people for an online service? Does it port my previous virtual console titles to a central account instead of making me rebuy the same stuff again?

What's with the terrible screen tearing in the graphics of this Zelda stream? Is that what the game actually looks like in motion? It happened every time they adjusted the camera, so I don't think it was a stream issue. Also is the frame rate as unreliable as it seems on stream?

Why does this big open world look empty as gently caress?

Is this system really launching with <10 games and only 1 big title?

Here it is in a nutshell.

quote:

* $300 for the Switch.
* $70 for a pro controller
* Paying for online (Unknown price) starting October 2017.
* Premium online includes an NES/SNES game for a month. And that month only. (lol)
* 4 launch titles, 1 anyone cares about but is also launching for the Wii U on the same day.
* $90 for two extra Joy Con's (Midget controllers no one will be able to use unless they are 3 feet tall and 3 years old)
* 3 hour battery life on the portable
* As of now, no USB 2.0 external HD support but it "Could" happen
* Mario coming supposedly in Holiday 2017 but we all know it will be delayed
* A companion app to help utilize and navigate their paid for online service, which they will charge for (They are charging for the companion app for a service they are also charging for)
* Nintendo thinks people will bring this to parties to break the ice with people they do not know. That revolves around 4 people huddling around a 7" game pad which has a stand to play 2/4 local split screen coop.
* 3rd party support is laughable. Some guy from EA mentioned FIFA 2017. Skyrim in the Summer (Scaled down)
* A shooting game in which you do not even look at the screen, but the other player while in a room. And the gamepad tallies the score or something.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

greatn posted:

They did a with friend codes five years ago man except in systems where it was already implemented.

Why am I still being asked to enter friend codes on my Wii U and 3DS XL?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Intel&Sebastian posted:

No loving way

They really should have gated Zelda behind this poo poo. So many WiiU's are gonna get sold on the week of 3/3.

Yep. The companion app has a free "limited" version, but to get all the fuctionality of the app, you will have to buy a premium version. Of the app. For your mobile device. To support the online service on Switch you pay a subscription too as well.

This will be the first time I have ever seen anyone charge for a companion app on top of a service they already pay for.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Quest For Glory II posted:

it's comped with the subscription

more #FakeNews from the lamestream media!! Sad!!!

Those are applicatIons on the console itself not the mobile application we are discussing genius.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's the smart phone app *makes a stupid voice* genius

it's directly referenced on the page and I already said last night how I dont understand why people wouldnt just use Discord instead

Holy poo poo, sorry goon. I was under the assumption that the service at least lived on the flipping console. So this entire matchmaking service/voice chat/chat lives on a smart device and not the console?

What in the ever living hell. It just gets worse and worse.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Louisgod posted:

I got a pre-order through BB last night but went to Gamestop this morning at 10 to put $50 down just in case. Went at 10, line was through the door. Still got one but didn't expect to there to actually be a line after that trainwreck of a conference.

They are all there to scalp the thing I am sure. That didn't work too hot with the Wii U though.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Louisgod posted:

yes yes, I'm sure the crowd of 20 somethings wearing Nintendo gear that also asked to pre-order Zelda and a bunch of accessories are there to flip that poo poo.

Actually, bundle all that together and sell it on Ebay? drat right. Kind of like what happened to the PSVR.

Obviously not all of them but I would bet 20-30% of them.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Mr President posted:

I thin people kind of overreacted yesterday in terms of the release slate. We have Zelda at launch, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe a few weeks later, then Arms and Splatoon 2 in the summer and Super Mario Odyessy and Xenoblade 2 in the Fall. There is also a possibility that Retro Studios new game will be shown at E3 and will come out before years end.

That's a pretty solid first year for the system and is more support than the PS4 got in its first two years from First Party and the Wii U got in its first and last year on the market. Not GOAT but certainly not abysmal like I see a lot of people saying.

I think people are more concerned about :

1) Lack of multiplayer support with what appears to be apps living off the console to force you to use a smart device to chat/voice chat/matchmake for online gaming. Along with now being charged for that - and it's not completely seamless.

2) Battery life of the portable sucks.

3) A paid for subscription service for online with a free game per month, but you do not get to keep that game like all other services.

4) Completely jacked up and overpriced Pro Controller at $70 and additional Joycon's (2 of them) costing $90.

5) For Wii U owners no need to hop on this thing if all you want to do is play Zelda - just buy it for the Wii U.

6) Nothing except, "Maybe" for USB 2.0 external drive support.

7) No mention at all about applications on the console itself (Netflix, Amazon, etc)

Those may have been overlooked by a more solid launch of games. Mario Kart is a Wii U port so that should have easily been added to the fray at launch. 1,2 switch should have been a pack in.

So add all that above, everything has gone completely backwards from where we are at today. And that is a mind numbingly "Wtf" moment I didn't even think Nintendo could pull off to this level of stupidity.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

I STILL can't believe that I have to pay to be able to play online.

Like holy poo poo

I do not think it's so much that, but a combination of the following:

1) Nintendo has NEVER been an online center for entertainment in the way Sony and MS have. It takes a special set of balls to start charging for a service they have no experience in building or maintaining in the standard that has been set up today by it's competition.

2) Sony and MS allow folks to keep their games as long as they stay subscribed. Nintendo won't.
3) Paid subscribers get additional discounts in games for Sony and MS - Nintendo has mentioned nothing.
4) MS and Sony have over a decade of experience in learning about how to deliver an online service from party chat, voice chat, menu systems, library folder functions, streaming, integration with the marketplace, how to show online/offline, etc. I mean, hundreds of little features needed to sustain usability in the service. Nintendo has literally none of this. And how just up and one day decides to start charging for online multiplayer games, and worse, by the time this goes live they may have 4 games total with multiplayer anyway.

The biggest of them all?

4) Nintendo's entire online service will not live on the console and users will have to use a smart device with an app to play multiplayer.

Now I don't even know what the hell, or how the hell, that even works. Or Why. Or poo poo, anything. What kind of company thinks this is a good idea? I mean sweet God they may as well just move the entire online portion of their service to Kali and call it a day. I mean, I can't even comprehend how out of touch with technology and the market a company has to be to go back to such a rudimentary, 1980's way of thinking.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 13, 2017

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Astro7x posted:

What the hell are you talking about? Low standards?

The original 3DS had a 3-5 hour battery life, and the thing never once died on me during the day. Nintendo said that BotW will last for 3 hours on the Switch battery. What is wrong with that?

I take the train to work, at most this thing is getting 2 hours a day of gameplay on the battery. I'm not going down to the local park and playing NBA2K17 with my friends for 6 hours and need more than that.

But wait, what about all those people huddled around the 7" display with 4 JoyCon's all squinting to see 4 player quadrant split coop?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

VR looks like poo poo. Its' pixelated as all hell due to looking at screens from an inch away. VR is a marketing term. It should be called poo poo. Stupids Have Invested in This.

This isn't true in the slightest. See an eye doctor.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Phimosissy posted:

How the gently caress did the world's most pissy pissbabies all find this thread?

Well, we all thought Nintendo would change after the failure with the Wii U. Instead, they doubled down on the stupidity. It sucks, especially for old school Nintendo fans. Even me. When all it would take is a littlle less nickel and diming, and providing real value. Say, for instance, an online service that lets us keep those thirty year old NES games as we aubscribe to their likely over paid and hilariously lovely online service. Or, Say, the pro controller we bought with a poo poo console in the Wii U, to keep Nintendo afloat, maybe the new one should be 39 or maybe, just maybe, they can allow the loving old one to work with the new one? Holy gently caress. Maybe they could launch something that isn't so loving anti consumerism?

This entire launch makes Microsoft look like Jesus Christ. Think about that. And then continue on your paid for post crusade and find a new job. Preferably one with ethics.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If you want to keep sounding off on the two or three talking points about how this is the most worst badlaunch in the history of video games, gently caress off to the GBS thread.

It IS the worst launch of any console I have seen in my entire gaming life. What loving planet do you live on? Christ, you were the guy that told the OP to hold off on this post until the actual launch day. That's loving laughable.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Then you are far to young to legally have an account on somethingawful.com.

Oh no. Trust me. I call out shitbag shills like you. All it takes is for anyone here to look at your post history. How's that paycheck.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

deadwing posted:

Nice meltdown

The truth hurts. The guy is a loving paid for shill to shout down criticism. Melt down equals the truth.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Kurtofan posted:

the wii u launch was way worse

Not even close. Not this time with everything they are loving up. I can list it all again if you want.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Ahahahahaha. I'm not turning into a massive pantshitting vortex about a dissapointing presentation and a completely normal sparse launch, I must be a paid shill. Get the gently caress back to infowars. Jfc.

You told the loving OP he should have held off on the thread until the system launched on 3/3. Seriously. You said that.

How is the propaganda ministry job holding on for you in Iran? Good food?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Phimosissy posted:

:qq: :qq: :qq:

I got an NES at launch. Don't tell me every :corsair: Nintendo fan is a pissbaby.

I had ROB and gyromite. I loved NES for bringing gaming back from an industry crash in 83.

You are a good man and a good poster. Don't gently caress it up.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Holy poo poo were you not around when the original switch reveal happened? The this exact thing happened. All you've managed to expose is that I a computer capable of learning. Beep boop.

What did you just type. People above you are paying for this.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Utnayan is the same guy who accused me of working for a Minneapolis-based marketing firm to shill for Star Wars Battlefront—whose thread on SA I am the OP of—and then after I called him out for being a weird post history snooper (I do post in the Mpls goonmeet thread but definitely don't work for a marketing firm) he sent me a PM insisting I still was.

Get help dude.

It is true. Please, I will loving lay down a ban (Not perma) if a mod lets me out your rear end in real life. Just say the word princess.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Kawabata posted:

"we can't really make a new f-zero without innovative gameplay ideas"

*re-releases mk8 with some new tracks and a revamped battle mode for 60 dorraru*

It's hilarious isn't it?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
We have a problem with some shitbags here. It's become a target for 3rd party marketing shills for a long time. Shouting down everything and continuing on trying to build popularity with even the most astounding gently caress ups. In this case, we have the truth. The truth is this: Nintendo done hosed up beyond cataclysmic proportions and any goon with an ounce of a brain knows it. Nothing can shout it down this time.

1) A console that doesn't have the power to toast my loving bagel.
2) Continues progress to try and recapture the Wii market with motion controls when we have all moved on.
3) Battery life that makes a Dell Inspiron 5500 look like a nuclear power plant.
4) An online service that fucks with the standard of what we are given in value with PS Plus and Xbox live.
5) One game that everyone wants to play that runs better on a console launched 5 years ago.
6) A side controller that may fit the hands of Tyroin Lannister.
7) A poo poo line up of poo poo games aside from Zelda. Albeit no mention of the poo poo they should have launched with. Mario, Metroid, Pilot wings, Animal Crossing, a new Castlevania. An updated and fun Jackyl. A new Contra. The legacy of IP's missing here is loving astounding.
8) Lack of even an EXTERNAL loving HARD DRIVE SUPPORT.
9) An online service that is based on Discord on a loving SMART PHONE. THAT DOESN'T LIVE ON THE CONSOLE.

I thought these guys hosed up more than ever possible in the N64 days with their poo poo 3rd party licensing fees. They are JUST NOW, realizing how important 3rd party is in the hardware business. STILL TRYING TO MAKE MONEY ON HARDWARE. That hasn't been the loving profit center since the Atari 2600! Loss lead the hardware to build a base and sell software based on 3rd party licensing and a strong 1st party line up? They done hosed that up YET AGAIN. A box which costs about 56 bucks to make based on the tech and trying to make money on antiquated silicon we haven't seen since 2007. The games suffer. 3rd party support suffers. EVERYONE SUFFERS.

Jesus gently caress. Who runs this poo poo show?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Rudoku posted:

Are you really trying to outdo Deak? You're getting there.

Who the gently caress is that guy?

Truth? It's the loving truth man. Can we still post the loving truth here? Or should we just all beat off with cheese graters while we preorder anything that loving ends up on Amazon and not have a voice to let these people know how hosed up things have gotten and/or how to turn it around? How the gently caress is our hobby going to get better and out of the rat hole while we all play gently caress it all with our hands up to our ears and not give them the TRUTH and feedback the majority are feeling and thinking so we don't see another loving Wii U debacle??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Aurora posted:

I'm astounded that anyone thinks that none of the games they've announced so far are a really nice lineup

Like this loving dude above. No one gives a poo poo about anything but Zelda. The rest are gimmicky poo poo no one cares about! No one is going to sit around a 7" screen and play split screen co-op to Break the ice at a loving party where no one knows each other. THEY loving PROMOTED THAT AND SAID THAT IN THEIR PRESENTATION AS A TRUE REASON TO BUY THIS loving THING.

Holy fuckballs!

• Locked thread