Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Sony's going to become a lowrent VR box. Microsoft is going to shift to PCs.

Nintendo will be the last console... before packing it in to become an IP farm.
So... because VR exists the Playstation will just stop having normal TV games?

I mean it could happen some year I guess, but if it does it'll be because VR became really good and everyone preferred it. I wouldn't see that as a bad thing unless you can't use it.

I also don't think VR will ever be that good in my lifetime but I also didn't think I would be holding a tablet like the people on Star Trek did when I was a kid so gently caress if I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Broseph Brostar posted:

I hope they call it the XXX Wii
couldn't resist

Actually I'd be happy if they just called it the Nintendo 7 or something at this point, I'm sick of their weird rear end console names

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Butt Ghost posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I sure hope the NX is a good console.
That's insanity, you're supposed to hope for doom and destruction.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

raditts posted:

You're chastising Nintendo for doing the tablet thing, but you think loving VR, which combines the worst failures of all three current console makers (Virtual Boy / Kinect / Move) is going to be the thing to take off?
Nobody really used the second screen well and all three platforms had a version of it at some point. That post also doesn't seem dead certain that VR will work but rather that Nintendo will get "locked out" again for being behind on power, which is a very real threat. How many multiplatform titles did we get for Wii U again? How many after the launch window?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

dipple posted:

it's been decades since nintendo was a serious option for multiplatform 3rd party titles, I don't think that's an issue at all.
Yeah it probably can't happen at this point, no matter whether they need it or not

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

raditts posted:

As for being underpowered or whatever, that's never felt like a problem to me wrt actual games on the Wii U, since they know how to work around their limitations to make games that are fun to play and don't look dated since they're colorful and nice to look at instead of the greybrown motif that still permeates most current-gen games. I mean don't get me wrong, it would be great to have those third party multiplat games just to keep the userbase up which leads to more games I give a poo poo about, but as long as Nintendo has a good stable of their own titles, I could personally care less about those games since I'm just gonna play them on PC anyway where I never have to worry about backwards compatibility.

edit: What was Sony's version of the second screen anyway? I remember Xbox has SmartScreen, but bafflingly they just kinda announced it as a thing and proceeded to do exactly fuckall with it and seemed to immediately forget it existed.
Nintendo could obviously care less about third party games as well, since from their Nintendo Direct presentations everyone goes gaga over you would be hard pressed to believe they even have a third party title. Unfortunately that means the Nintendo becomes the "second console" which is something a lot of people aren't willing to pay for. It's fine for you and me but for most families the kid is gonna get one if any and if they want to play the same poo poo as all their friends it's probably not gonna be a Nintendo.

The Sony version of a second screen was split between Remote Play on PSP/Vita, companion apps on tablets (mostly from Ubi games), and a second screen option was actually put into the Playstation tablet app but I never saw it used. It has instructions in the app on how to use it as a second screen though, maybe there was some game that actually did. Needless to say Remote Play is the only use out of those anyone cared about (and similar to that feature you liked about the Wii U).

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

third party titles get a lot of airtime on nintendo directs, it's just usually they're exclusive to the system. last one had dragon quest, monster hunter, bravely second, gunvolt, that f2p namco thing and a poo poo ton of indie stuff
True, but if it's all exclusive stuff it still doesn't solve the "second console" problem. If nobody can play the stuff they can play on almost any other machine, it gets to be a tough decision no matter how strong the exclusives are. And they're pretty loving strong.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lady Naga posted:

Adding an extra character to your vehicle does not deepen or enhance the base experience of Mario Kart in any significant way, as evidenced by the fact that it was removed in the sequel.
actually it was a lot of fun and my family would play it together with the people who aren't good at driving controlling the items for a kart in co-op mode. but thanks for your sage analysis of this feature without playing it ever

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stux posted:

it was a poo poo game and the feature was the bumbest thing they did to mario kart which is ewhy they removed it instantly instead of hanging on to it like they have with the other gimmicks theyve added
It provided many hours of fun times for people who otherwise only get to sit and watch while the 'real' gamers battle it out. I only vaguely remember the disadvantage but that was a big pro for my family

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SilverSupernova posted:

Can we please stop arguing about the PS4 in the NX thread?
I tried to talk about a Nintendo game but Stux just shouted it down saying that a family game had bad balance for competitive play and was therefore utter trash (paraphrasing)

I think the NX will use electricity, and possibly display images on a screen of some sort

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Saoshyant posted:

If anything it sounds like Kimishima (and the late Iwata) had a good plan on how this will work out. It sounds like it will be a Genesis vs SNES situation, where the Genesis had the lead but the SNES had superior hardware and Nintendo exclusives, so the latter eventually won that particular console war. The only difference is that the Genesis did not have over 30 million systems in the hands of the public when the SNES came out, which the PS4 does.
Sounds like a starry-eyed pipe dream to me but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. I still don't believe they can get the multi-platform support that everyone else has, but it also seemed like that shouldn't really be as difficult as it has been. As long as the consumer choice comes down to getting a machine that plays most new things or getting "the Nintendo" they're going to have a tough time of it. That was acceptable back in the SNES/Genesis wars because the sides were a bit more even and either choice meant missing out on a lot.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Gonna buy an NX at launch because I am a consumer whore and I love Nintendo systems and games. The fact that it is launching with a Zelda game is a bonus.
Can't wait to see them bundle it in with something else entirely since everyone is gonna buy Zelda anyway

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can't believe Nintendo announced an entire system just for Nintendogs, thousands of Nintendogs games, every breed of dog getting its own game, nothing but Nintendogs for a decade.
make them VR dogs and all is forgiven

just gonna pet puppies all day

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FirstAidKite posted:

It just seems like such a Nintendo kind of thing to do for them to be like "well we did the two-screen thing before and that worked out great, let's try to redo the virtual boy" is all
they don't need to though, the PSVR is roughly the picture quality of a Virtual Boy Color

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Then again, I thought the new Zelda had no chance of garnering the kind of praise it did before E3, so I don't know poo poo.
I feel like I was the only one who wasn't impressed by new Zelda. Like, it was an interesting new direction but nothing about it screams "console seller" to me. Seems like something I could just as easily play on the PS4 if it wasn't a Nintendo game, or the Wii U if they weren't trying to give up on it.

So yeah I was a bit surprised too

Jonas Albrecht posted:

That reminds me, I really need to pick up Wii Fit U.
It's dirt cheap and works pretty well, just don't be afraid to pick exercises manually because the thing has no sense of pattern recognition

also lol that Nintendo may be the only way to actually have a safe Olympics this year

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FirstAidKite posted:

What's preventing you from playing the new zelda on the wii u exactly?
Depends on whether they actually release for both or not, and if they cripple the Wii U version at all. Just being cautious

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What kind of Amiibo support does it have?
None

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

pixaal posted:

This isn't the first time they've done a split zelda game Twilight princess was released for two consoles. I guess 3 now if you count the HD remake.
Yeah, unfortunately I know nobody who played the Gamecube version so I have no idea how well it worked. So I don't even really know what the precedent is there besides that it was a thing :shrug:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tender Bender posted:

I mean yea but you can't play it on another console, that's like saying Bloodborne is just something you could play on the Xbox.
except you totally could make it for Xbox if not for the agreements, you get what I'm saying :shrug:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

smell this posted:

Is the Nx going to support Miiverse??
We don't even know if it will support human eyes at this point, maybe only the secret lizard people can play it

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Astro7x posted:

This is pretty much what they are doing with My Nintendo and Miitomo
Really? I thought all the thoughts they tried to capture on there were dumb poo poo like "what's your favorite color"

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Boten Anna posted:

... one mode have your smartphone work basically like the Wii U gamepad ... "main" controller is something like the Pro Pad but with some kind of snap-on-snap-off universal mount for an android or ios phone or tablet... If you don't have a smartphone or tablet, it works with the Wii U pads (sold separately) and maybe there's an upgraded NX-specific one that has a higher resolution and can support more modes ... uses companion applications
well, considering complicating things with the Wii U worked so well, I can see no problem with this plan

MOM stop hogging the phone I wanna play zelda now

What do you mean we're out of minutes MOMMMMM that's not how it works

MOMMMMMM your phone is too slow mom mom mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Commissar Ken posted:

Sony's store is blech. The PS4's version is better than the PS3's due to the sheer virtue of it not crashing on a whim whenever but loading up videos that hang out in the background of certain games store pages and that dial a search search function is pretty annoying.
I like the PSN web store so much I hadn't seen the ones on the actual consoles in forever, so when I went to check on something and ran into that weird background video thing it really threw me. I don't know why they thought that was a good idea

But Nintendo's web store is barely any more useful than the on device shop, and I like that one least of all. Especially with the constant launching in and out poo poo if you want to follow links from the Wii U menu features

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tender Bender posted:

There's a pretty popular cat collecting app, basically you buy food and toys to lure new cats to your yard and get prizes from them. Use that as a basis and build on it. Follow the typical f2p structure of trickling out ingame currency while encouraging you to pay money for more.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I love Tubbs.
If not for Tubbs you could 'beat' the game in like a week

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ventana posted:

Is there any word yet if Amiibo's will still be a thing for NX. I hope so and they actually make them more useful (they totally won't, though....).
They don't even have to say anything official, there's zero chance amiibo will go away any time soon. As far as anything that isn't glorified DLC though I'm skeptical that will ever happen. I'm guessing the Animal Crossing board game is as sophisticated as amiibo use will ever get

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Chill Penguin posted:

There isn't zero chance. Disney just scrapped their toys-to-life division
Which nobody buzzed over even a fraction as much as amiibo, despite what seemed like good sales. There's no way you should be thinking they're equivalent.

If you really want to pick a nit, then amiibo could die out first if the NX got horribly delayed (many years, not just a short while) or a truly miraculous fad came along and made everyone forget. I don't see a significant chance of either though.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Chill Penguin posted:

I hear what you guys are saying and definitely agree that Amiibo are the strongest of the TTL field, but that just means they'll die last. The numbers on Lego Dimensions have also been fairly disappointing; the only thing keeping them on the shelves is the amazing margin Lego have on their production costs.
Oh sure, it might not last forever. But it'll make it to the NX for sure, unless some bizarre poo poo goes down. That was all this argument was about to begin with :shrug:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Soul Glo posted:

I couldn't really tell you 100%, but judging by how Nintendo likes to sell retail games at retail price for years and YEARS beyond when they should get a price cut, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Yeah they've gotten maybe a bit better but a lot of the best games that are even a year old or more are still like $40 and maybe get $5 off on sale. I am so spoiled by Steam and PSN :(

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Scaramouche posted:

When I worked in games we did multiplatform titles and the GameCube was always the last version done because we had to tweak so much just to make it work as compared to the "base" version. It wasn't always because it was worse mind you (though that definitely the case with texture sizes and memory management) but it was certainly different. I don't think Nintendo wants to be in that spot again, though hell I'm not sure if they ever got out of it.
I don't think they're ever gonna get out of that rut, they just seem to refuse to put in more power than they think absolutely necessary

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I just picked up Paper Jam for $21 this E3, which I think is a good deal. They could be a lot better with more consistent deals and maybe even one or two yearly mega sales. Hire me Nintendo, I have lots of Good Ideas.
Yeah 3DS games go on sale much more often, heaven help you if you want to fill out your Wii U library though (outside of those three Selects)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

pixaal posted:

Remote play using your phone or tablet would be a cool gimmick, that will use so much bandwidth it wont work outside of Japan and wifi everywhere.
but it works just fine on Vita? :confused:

Maybe I don't understand what you mean

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

pixaal posted:

If you were able to remote play on your phone and used your 4G which you know someone is going to do and demand that Nintendo pay for their "unexpected" bill.
This is not a new problem, there are tons of mobile games that already put up big honking warnings about data charges and ask you to use wifi instead. I think they can deal with it :shrug:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

jivjov posted:

If you're playing more than 4-5 hours at a time and running the battery dry...you can just plug it the charging cable and keep playing.
Why not take a break?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tengames posted:

Only 30? My chinese one goes up to 750000:colbert:
Mario 20751 was good but I found Mario 190679 a bit lacking

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Patter Song posted:

I think the issue is that it's not entirely clear who owns the FX Chip's rights anymore.
And because business is lovely, whoever has it won't even return phone calls but rather will let someone else do all the work before suing them to get all the money

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Real hurthling! posted:

I can steal all those games on computer for only the cost of my eternal damnation

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

smell this posted:

if they can make an NES that size just think what they can do with the Gameboy

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Raserys posted:

naturally, it still doesn't have a backlit screen
Sheesh, so picky! Fine, I'll make another

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Devil Tesla posted:

Nintendo announced Rythem Heaven Megamix at E3 and released it on the same day, because Nintendo loving rules.

SilverSupernova posted:

Come on now. How did you forget about BoxBoy 2?
very awesome games that most people will pretend do not even exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Slur posted:

And spend them on what again?

well there's that one picross game

• Locked thread