Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

SylvainMustach posted:

So what do we think Nintendo's going to do to get something out of the holiday season?

Think they'll throw in some more nintendo select titles? I'm kind of hoping they are. Still dont have Yoshi's Wooly World, Toad Treasure Tracker and DK TF.

Well, there is a Pokemon game out in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

SylvainMustach posted:

I forgot about that.
I dont know how, but I did.

But on the home console side of things, since this is my first year having a WiiU, do they tend to have good sales on games or have them drop in price retail-wise?

I couldn't really tell you 100%, but judging by how Nintendo likes to sell retail games at retail price for years and YEARS beyond when they should get a price cut, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Wildtortilla posted:

If I don't wear JNCO jeans will the NX fit in my pocket?

Lol look at this idiot who owns pants that aren't JNCOs

I do hope the NX is a console/portable hybrid, though. That'd be neat. Even if it was just a portable with an HDMI out and an optional bluetooth controller.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

greatn posted:

Not conspiracy, just people up their asses about "experiences" and trying to be serious art.

:lol:

"People that like different kinds of games than I do are just up their own asses."

:goonsay:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

greatn posted:

No, just people who like that specific kind. You must be offended because you are up your own rear end about Movie Hallway the Game.

I'm not offended at all, I'm just laughing at you :)

I hope the NX has some good hallway simulators if only to make nerds rage.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Patter Song posted:

You could move all your downloadable games from Wii to Wii U in a free system transfer. Neither the 360-XB1 nor the PS3-PS4 allowed you to do this.

Xbox One backwards compatibility is actually really good. When games are moved over (which is up to publishers, MS does the work), they automatically populate in your Games folder and you just download them, no transferring necessary. Or throw the disc in and download the game if you own the hard copy, then use the disc for authentication.

It'd be cool if I could just boot up my NX and download games from their servers I've already bought. I didn't gently caress with the Wii stuff, but transferring poo poo from a 3DS to a newer 3DS was annoying, and especially bewildering when they used to have a 5 transfer limit, though that's gone at least.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

It's hard for me to imagine Nintendo abandoning the 3DS if the NX is supposedly going to also be portable in some way. Maybe the 3DS acts as the gamepad for the NX which would be amazing if it weren't for the fact that the 3DS doesn't have two legit analogue sticks.

Considering the Wii U is the first Nintendo console to have a controller with two legit analog sticks, I don't think it's a given the NX will.

Nintendon't care 'bout FPSes.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

The Gamecube controller would like to have a word with you.

Also the Wii Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pro

I asked it but I couldn't take its answer seriously with that ridiculous C nub.

The Wii had the classic controller, sure, but it didn't come with the system.

I'm just sayin', given Nintendo's history, it's even odds whether or not the NX will feature a controller like most mainstream consoles. The 3DS might very well be a fine controller for whatever they're releasing (though I don't think it'll be supported into the NX beyond a secondary pillar a la the GBA).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Blazing Zero posted:

my body terminates at my abdomen

Nah, like most goons, you just can't see past your abdomen

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Does the mini NES have HDMI out?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

Yes. It's the only connection we know for sure it supports.

Good. At the very least the games could upscale and work as well as they do through a Retron. I'll probably grab one of these if only for the novelty.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Raserys posted:

naturally, it still doesn't have a backlit screen

You really don't want your Gameboy to give you skin cancer

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

This one is rad.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Boten Anna posted:

Oh I totally expect obnoxious poo poo from Nintendo that's why I just realized they're totally going to pull this poo poo and it's going to be the loving worst. Don't get your hopes up for playing pokemans on your TV.

They're not going to make another DS, no mobile Pokemon will be an actual game, and they're not going to stop printing money with that series. The 3DS is gonna get dropped just like the GBA.

Though it would be funny if Nintendo prevented Pokemon from working while the system was in docked mode just because.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

It's kinda loving bonkers to me that a console is gonna get revealed and released in six months.

It's no Saturn, but hey.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Kelp Plankton posted:

Nothing is confirmed at all at this point. But reliable looking leaks are claiming that's the case, yes. It won't have a disc drive so they're skipping BC entirely.

That said, if it's more powerful than the Wii U I'd probably expect downloadable BC games at some point.

Being more powerful doesn't really help emulation.

Wait for a Wii U fire sale and go hog wild, imo.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Yo, as a PlayStation fan, if you think the Wii U doesn't look better on average than a PS3 then you haven't checked out the PS3's muddy, hammered dogshit-looking library lately.

I would like a Metroidvania on the NX, please and thank you.

Also will rebuy Pokemon Sun to play it on a tv because gently caress money and you, that's why.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I'm in for Bloodstained, but if there's a Metroidvania I wanna play on a Nintendo system, it'll have metroids in it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Paper Triangle posted:

nintendo has confirmed the nx will not be pocket-sized.

Buddy, wait til you see the size of my pockets.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

BillmasterCozb posted:

well metroid Fed Force will be out soon

Not a Metroidvania :colbert: Isn't that game a FPS on the 3DS? Yes, why don't I just delete this copy of Overwatch, because the King has arrived.

The NX should proooobably get Overwatch.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I don't carry video game consoles on my person because I am a 30 year old man :smugdog:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

MechaCrash posted:

Relaxed fit Wrangler jeans. I can get all that in there, but it can get a little tight, and they do stick out a bit just because of the bulk.

All of the talk of pants does seem like a bit of a tangent, but if you can't cleanly fit a portable in your pocket, I don't think it's very portable at all.

That wasn't a joke? The hell do you carry a deck of cards for, are you a magician?

I carry a wallet, phone, keys. At work I bring a pocket knife. Lmao at you right now.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

MechaCrash posted:

So on the one hand, I'm impressed that "here's what's in my pockets" started off a tangent that went on this long. On the other hand, poo poo, it's not like we have anything concrete to talk about for the NX. I think they're going to actually talk about it at Tokyo Game Show, right? That's September 15th.

Quit trying to change the subject and explain yourself

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

greatn posted:

I don't think Nintendo will have an event at all. They will just put out a video, and at some point invite select press to try it at their offices, then do demo events early 2017.

I'm hoping that they've learned from the Wii U to never overestimate your target audience's ability to understand and research a product without absolutely saturating media with information on what your product is and what it does.

I hope they fully reveal the thing in a Direct during TGS week and then it's a nonstop deluge of commercials, public demos and late night circuits.

Kelp Plankton posted:

no, nobody who owns a vita wears pants

This is true, we party nonstop.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

greatn posted:

Nonstop advertising for something that doesn't even come out this holiday doesn't make a lot of sense.

Yeah I'm thinking maybe they slap "MARCH 2017" somewhere in there too.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Nintendo NX General Discussion: LOL Get A Load Of This Guy

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I guess I'm the only one planning on getting a back holster for my NX.

Just gonna keister mine, no safer place imo.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

BillmasterCozb posted:

so would you guys say that nintendo is doomed?

No, but I would say that if the NX doesn't ball out of control then they will shift strategies. Probably towards the one that pulled in $200m in a month.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Boten Anna posted:

under, though if they do adding an nx to my plan better be a fuckin tmobile tuesday

Stop using over/under like this.

It's nonsense, that's not what over/under means.

e:f,b but seriously, c'mon

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

It will be called the Nintendo, and it will be OK.

Boten Anna posted:

stay mad, nerd

Oh, I will, no worries.

e: The Nintend'oh!, motion controls make a comeback, you see

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

My favorite motion control is throwing a Wii Remote into the garbage.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

It's ah me. Mario.

Splatoon was okay for a kid's shooter I guess.

:ohsnap:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

xanthan posted:

CD based backdoor was the failure. Or that one Action Replay demo disc that let you boot up burned games. That was the Dreamcast, right?

You don't need an Action Replay to play burned discs on a Dreamcast. All you need is a burned disc*.

*Some games required an additional boot disc.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Mercury Crusader posted:

Nintendo was at it's best when [whenever you were 12] and bad at all other times.

If you were 12 when the SNES was out then this is true, yeah

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

they are adding features to the old-rear end one so dont count on a real one anytime soon! maybe theyll make a lovely cell phone one

They are, and a lovely cell phone Fire Emblem.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Ventana posted:

2 of those got/are getting releases this year. And yes, Federation Force counts.

Nintendo didn't make Star Fox, Platinum did, and it was bad*.

Federation Force doesn't count.

(*there have been two good Star Fox games, so Platinum was pretty much shooting for par there.)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

greatn posted:

Hmm a first party Metroid game with Metroid in the title made by the director of the prime series doesn't count because...

You're right, when people asked for a new Metroid game, they certainly meant a FPS on the 3DS where the only thing you explore is the options screen for a better control scheme.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

the handset will have its own power cord and the dock will have its own power cord and both of them will need to be plugged in at the same time to work.

Yeah this is probably right. Sega CD time, y'alllllll.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

Honestly I don't think so, I think they are killing their home console and this happens to be a handheld you can connect to a TV.

It's six in one, half a dozen in the other now that mobile tech is as good as it is, and iterating to new heights much faster and much more frequently than consoles. We might very soon live in a world where new NXes are hitting every year like phones.

Provided they can convince customers to do so. That's the part I think they'll most have trouble with as people don't keep up with the Joneses in video games like they do with phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

Nintendo should stop making consoles because all their consoles are bad and stick to making software.

Also Nintendo should stop making games because all their games are bad.

Nintendo should just sit in the corner and think about what they've done.

:yeah:

• Locked thread