Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Patter Song posted:

Just for me personally, I love the Gamepad. It feels a bit weird in your hands at first because it's so wide, but it's become one of my favorite controllers.

I wish the left and right triggers were analog, just because I'm about 90% sure that the reason behind the lack of Gamecube VC is the lack of that functionality, but otherwise I have no issue with it.

On a different subject, I recently started playing Twilight Princess HD, with no prior playing of Twilight Princess (though I have watched bits of LPs of it). It's not as bad as people say it is, at least so far (I'm to the start of Goron Mines)...but it's a game that keeps feeling like it has the potential to be great and just isn't. I did get that exact same feeling from Wind Waker HD and it stayed through most of the game, though...Wind Waker's charm for me was like 90% aesthetic.

I do have a real question, though. Twilight Princess HD's character models are ugly. I don't mean they're poorly-made, I mean that it seems like everyone in Hyrule except Link and Zelda were beaten with the ugly stick. Even the Gorons look hideous. I recently played OOT3D (about half a year ago) and the character models were more primitive but had actual charm to them. Why is this game full of people who look like they were swimming on the shallow end of the gene pool?

Yeah, it's not terrible, but being mediocre for 20 or so hours really burns.

The art design is just straight up ugly, not much else to say, stare at enemies long enough and you'll realize you don't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, it's not terrible, but being mediocre for 20 or so hours really burns.

The art design is just straight up ugly, not much else to say, stare at enemies long enough and you'll realize you don't want to.

I mean, this is a game where I had Link joust on a stone rampart and then cheat at sumo wrestling. I'm not disappointed by my decision to finally play it. I am glad that I held out for an HD remake, though.

I just have no idea why, after Wind Waker, the decision was not just "go back to a more realistic art style," but was "let's design the world's ugliest baby as part of the world's ugliest group of kids." The contrast between the landscape and the character models is pretty stunning.

In some ways the simplistic designs in OOT and MM look better.

A highly polygonal Postman.

A fetal alcohol syndrome Postman.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Patter Song posted:

I mean, this is a game where I had Link joust on a stone rampart and then cheat at sumo wrestling. I'm not disappointed by my decision to finally play it. I am glad that I held out for an HD remake, though.

I just have no idea why, after Wind Waker, the decision was not just "go back to a more realistic art style," but was "let's design the world's ugliest baby as part of the world's ugliest group of kids." The contrast between the landscape and the character models is pretty stunning.

In some ways the simplistic designs in OOT and MM look better.

I like the oot/mm artsyle a lot

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Patter Song posted:

The postman's design has always been kind of off

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

BexGu posted:

Damnnnnn.

Any estimated dollar number Pokémon Go is making? I know Fallout Shelter made way more than any one was expecting.

The number I read a few days ago was $1.6 million per day, in North America, on iOS alone.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That postman looks hosed up in every pic.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Patter Song posted:

Those both look ugly as poo poo to me, but then I think Ocarina and Majora are very ugly games too.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's almost as if the Postman was designed to look hosed up and weird.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

don't be mean to the postman

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
He kind of made it to the end of the Cave of Ordeals on his own. Dude's a badass.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i dislike the gamepad because nintendo forced motion controls in some games to justify the bad gimmick

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Gyro aiming is the best thing

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, gyro aiming is the best thing the game pad has ever been used for.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I was good with pointer aiming, I hate gyro aiming.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

gyro aiming is cool. i just dont want to be forced to use it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Gyroaiming can, and should, be implemented in the NX.

Overwatch with gyro would finally allow the console versions to be good.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Blazing Zero posted:

gyro aiming is cool. i just dont want to be forced to use it

When are you forced to use it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Dr Cheeto posted:

Good point, nobody owns a Wii U.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Star Fox Zero.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Dr Cheeto posted:

metroid prime trilogy

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Blazing Zero posted:

i dislike the gamepad because nintendo forced motion controls in some games to justify the bad gimmick

if you dislike the gamepad than your mileage may vary on the newest mario party 10 game!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Instant Sunrise posted:

metroid prime trilogy

When did Prime Trilogy use gyro aiming? As far as I know that was all pointer aiming

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Nintendo NX is officially now called The Nintendo Playstation

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

smell this posted:

That was already a thing, it was the Disc addon for the SNES.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

when your sandwich artist asks if you would like any mayo what there really asking is any news on the NX

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

smell this posted:

when your sandwich artist asks if you would like any mayo what there really asking is any news on the NX

The NX is just going to be Pokemon Go

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Patter Song posted:

I really like the ugly art in a way it's a reflection of the whole world enveloped by darkness and poo poo and there's very few people untouched by it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

smell this posted:

informative, whimsical, i like it. what about a motto. "live out there, play in here"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I was good with pointer aiming, I hate gyro aiming.

condolences on your scrubitude

wayne curr posted:

Pokemon GO sealed its fate.

:chanpop:

Just wait until Nintendo blows up the smartwatch market with a mobile version of Yo-Kai Watch.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

raditts posted:

condolences on your scrubitude

Confused about how the closest analogue to mouse keyboard is worse than waving a screen about.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nobody wants to play games holding their arm straight out for hours to aim at the screen. gyro is better

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

nobody wants to play games holding their arm straight out for hours to aim at the screen. gyro is better

Just rest your hand in your lap

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

greatn posted:

Just rest your hand in your lap

my body terminates at my abdomen

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Blazing Zero posted:

my body terminates at my abdomen

Nah, like most goons, you just can't see past your abdomen

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

jivjov posted:

If you're playing more than 4-5 hours at a time and running the battery dry...you can just plug it the charging cable and keep playing.
Why not take a break?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CrashCat posted:

Why not take a break?

And play Pokemon Go?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.geek.com/games/infamous-fake-nintendo-nx-controller-is-on-ebay-for-10000-1661570/

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/753559995849990144

Masterstroke, Nintendo

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
HOLY poo poo

THAT'S THE NX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

It's time to play NES games the way they were meant to be played: blown up on a high-definition display with input lag.

• Locked thread