Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

If companies openly denied every hoax, then them NOT denying actual leaks would be the same thing as saying "Yes, that is real."

Which is why they never deny hoaxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Thank you Jonas Albrecht for helping to keep the unemployment rate down

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I do like that in this particular instance the guy wrote the article as a response to being punk'd instead of owning up to it like most people who got fooled did.

Like when Keighley would ask Pachter why Nintendo never listened to him and make a Wii HD and he would say, "A SMART person would have listened to me and done it."

Pachter was right tho

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah but they should have made it like 2-3 years earlier

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

i think the nx will probably be a fun console to own with good first party games and it may or may not be the last ever nintendo console but life is a highway i wanna ride it all night long

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Posting with the monitor off smh

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

PBS Newshour posted:

I didn't wander in, I came here to discuss my hopes and dreams for the future of Nintendo like all the other fine posters here.

What is stopping you, friend? What are your dreams? What are your hopes?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

PBS Newshour posted:

I want nintendo to lead us into a new golden age of gaming and the console to be pretty cool. I dream of an age where games are fun, and it can be serious fun and nonserious fun alike. Also that it will appeal to my friends so when I get one I won't be lonely. This is what I hope for, dream for.

Ah, mhmm, yes

And I hope the games are whimsical, as well

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I can't believe I forgot about the Nomad. Sega beat Nintendo to the 16-bit handheld by 4 years, and it still bombed.

The Nomad ruled

It was the original Wii U gamepad

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Did it? I know it sold poorly, but that's not always related to quality.

I mean actually it was pretty goofy.

Had these HUGE battery packs that snapped on to the back that were basically the size of a modern Apple TV. I don't think they lasted all that long, either.

But as a kid it was mind blowing to play TV games in my bedroom.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Im not sure we'll ever reach the bottom of this age-old ethical quandary re: when is okay to dislike a videogame, but I am so proud of you all for the progress made in pursuit :)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I liked how the DS one let you draw pictures for like an avatar and it would show up on your car but I can understand why they never brought that back.

Maybe they could do it with Miiverse posts tho??

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The funny thing is that they're going to bring back the double dash gimmick for the new Star Fox game that's coming out soon, except the non-driver player uses the gamepad so they have full control over their camera.

I could see them doing Double Dash 2 on NX if they really do the screen controller gimmick again.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

When the sun burns out and the moon crashes into the sea, Nintendo will be there to release a new Mario Kart and sell you an emulated copy of Super Mario World.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

nintendo snowballed into a position of handheld dominance and by the time anyone else could compete handhelds as a platform stopped being profitable, it's kind of sad really.

Hey are you an Stux gonna fuse to form Malachite

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Motto posted:

Sony could've beat the 3DS after its initial stumble if they hadn't hosed the Vita even worse.

Tbh the main reason the 3ds stumbled was that the handheld market was already dead so idk about this

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Motto posted:

2011 was a prett bad year for it on account of having no games and being overpriced. It only managed it gain its current sub-PSP sales after the pricecut.

3DS is a hella ace system tho and it still is selling worse than the garbage PSP did.

I think LAdy Naga is sort of right that Nintendo handhelds have crazy intertia, which is the only reason the 3DS was able to crawl out of its hole and make a humble, if disappointing life for itself.

Vita never stood a chance. Most people seem to think it's an amazing piece of hardware, too. Like, I know the memory cards were dumb, but I don't think Sony fumbled the ball too bad on the hardware itself. They just didn't have the momentum of years and years of beloved handheld games being released.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I'm not sure there was a viable western market for the Vita tho

Like, Nintendo cultivated a large fanbase in the west for their handhelds. Enough of it survived to eventually bail out the 3DS. Sony handhelds never had that, though, and they def weren't going to attract NEW people...

Sony recognized this early on so they cut and run pretty quick.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Stux posted:

idk tho again the psp did reaaallly well in europe. there is just a compound of gently caress ups with the vita that they couldnt overcome because they didnt have the same inertia and install bas eas nintendo

I didn't know it did well in Europe that's interesting

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I bought a circle pad pro for resident evil revelations and ended up going back to the old controls because the 3DS circle pad is NOT an analogue stick. It was easier to just use a b x y.

I love the 3DS but don't try to play 3D shooters on it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

literally what else is there to talk about

This thread is a paved parking lot outside a Whole Foods that's still 2 months away from opening and people are complaining about kids using it to play dodge ball.

Be glad they stopped using your driveway, ya Grampas and Grandmas!!!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

Also some other kids came by to talk about how lovely dodge ball is and that street hockey is objectively more fun due to sales of street hockey equipment.

*Throws a ball at ur face*

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

THIS is MY metaphor and you will not commandeer it

console wars = dodge ball (and playful rough-housing)

shopping at whole foods = discussing actual NX news

Wondering if the unopened whole foods will have good prices on kale = speculation on if THE CONTROLLER MIGHT BE UNIQUE IN SOME BIZARRE, UNEXPECTED FASHION THAT ULTIMATELY IS UNDERUTILIZED

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

I hope it's big & hefty enough to throw at someone and have it hurt without causing lasting damage.

please keep the wrist strap on at all times while the game is active thank you

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Bass Bottles Nintendo User Experience Update: I just touched my Link Amiibo to my gamepad's NFC chip and unlocked a fluffy green scarf for my Pokken Tournament trainer

can i get a hell :yeah:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Patter Song posted:

The Oracle games, Minish Cap, and Link Between Worlds were all really good, though?

LBW is the best Zelda

very sad about that new co-op one :(

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

please imagine the links from four swords or triforce heroes standing on top of each other and wearing a really long trenchcoat to try and sneak into an r-rated movie

I am imagining it and now I am smiling and my mood has improved

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Hopefully they have cross-play with the Wii U.

If this is true, though, it probably also means no backwards compatibility which isn't surprising.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

elf help book posted:

Sorry, let me speak your language. The Xbox one has the wrong ram.

I can't believe it!!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

elf help book posted:

I feel like everyone has just been saying "yeah sure, the NX is both a portable and a console" without really considering that if that's really true, it's kinda crazy to consider that Nintendo will focus fully on one system and how great that system will be.

You cannot fault the human mind of needing to ration its intake of thought-based euphoria

Please understand

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

elf help book posted:

gently caress western games.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is so good tho

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Yep, the unified development is the biggest reason for excitement. In the past its been one or two big first party releases per year for a given system. With this you are probably talking 4-6 high caliber releases in a calendar year.

Third parties will be even less relevant!!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The funny part about Nintendo potentially being able to prop up a system by themselves with just first party releases is that it may make it popular enough to actually warrant support from third parties!

Shovel ware :/

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

nerf.... this..... *sulks away while half-heartedly flipping the bird*

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Anime is not a genre, it's a feeling inside you

How does overwatch make you feel

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Blazing Zero posted:

please lord in heaven let the nx launch with spla2oon

Nintendo hears your plea and is unmoved. You will instead be given the option to re-buy Splatoon 1 on NX for $60. As a token of good faith, Splatfest will return for three months before returning to dormancy.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Don't forgot that rubber-banding a wiimote to a pro controller is an officially supported control scheme for Splatoon lol

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

NX is a legit good name imo

It has that X factor

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I kinda think they might just go "The Nintendo". Like, I'd bet money on it.

Like, A: It's the one and only console going forward. The great uniter of handheld and TV gaming

And B: They talked (I think?) about getting inspiration from Android where it's just an OS that evolves over time. They're just gonna come out with upgraded versions over time that are more powerful and play the same games.

BONUS REASON: REASON C: This might be the last Nintendo console, and people have been saying they're gonna just call their new console the Nintendo" forever so why not go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I'll throw YOU in the slammer for spreading falsehoods and lies about Nintendo!!

• Locked thread