Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

While Nintendo definitely enjoys marketing things to kids and profiting from that, that's not enough anymore if they want their system to be a success. The rise of the smartphone/tablet means that their console/handheld is no longer a given for youngsters.

They lost their market share for traditional gamers long ago to Sony/Microsoft, and now the smart phone/tablet has encroached on their lucrative kid market.

This is why I find NX so fascinating. Their normal business model is under siege from all sides for the first time, and they are coming off a huge failure in Wii U (despite it being great). When talented people have their backs up against the wall many times it leads to great things, so I'm hoping that's the case. On the flip side, if Nintendo fucks this next release up it will be equally as fascinating.

I just want the next mainline Animal Crossing game, damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Disney Infinity had no Alice in Wonderland model (the original, not that Tim Burton abomination). It is therefore a failure.

In NX rumors, the newest one is from some dude who studied a bunch of free-form 3D patents from Nintendo and is making a case that the NX would turn any TV into a 3D system with head tracking similarly to the Nu3DS. Or something.

The N3DS does have vastly improved 3D compared to the first couple of models, but most still play with it off that I know of.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Another Luigi's Mansion would own! Dark Moon was one of my favorite 3DS games.

As for NX, I had long thought the March release would surely give way to a Fall 2017 delay. If that manufacturing story is true, I suppose March is doable. One would also assume they have to start talking about it soon. If they don't announce anything before Labor Day then I'd be shocked if a delay isn't coming. Going into the holiday season, people need to know what it is and how much it'll cost so they can plan accordingly.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

After seeing the insane success of Pokemon Go nintendo will probably just cancel the NX and create only mobile games imo.

edit - seriously though I loves me some Pokemon but there seems like nothing to do in Go really, outside of just catching monsters.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Nintendo is going to make a fortune on that. It looks pretty good! Great line-up of games with many being unexpected. StarTropics, Super C, Double Dragon 2, Castlevania 1 and Simon's Quest, Kirby's Adventure, Mega Man 2 , Marios and Zelda, Motherfucking Tecmo Bowl....all with save states? That's a hell of a line-up.

It's bizarre how two weeks ago Nintendo's financial future looked bleak and uncertain. Now thanks to Pokemon GO / Sun/Moon and this NES they will need dump trucks for all the cash they are gonna rake in during the holidays, and they still haven't said poo poo about the NX, mobile Animal Crossing or FE.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

It's an emulation box. It's too small for cartridges, even if it did open.

Let's hope this kicks rear end so we get a SNES box next year. Given all the third parties in this NES release, as well as the apparent "they get it" approach to the line-up, that would bode well for a murderer's row for SNES. Something like:

Earthbound
Super Mario World
Mario All-Stars
Super Mario RPG
Yoshi's Island
Final Fantasy 3
Zelda: Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Street Fighter 2
Super Contra
Castlevania 4
Sim City
F-Zero
Pilotwings
Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3
Star Fox
Stunt Race FX
Mario Kart
Super Punch Out

They could charge $99.99 for that and sell it no problem.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Fine, but even if you took those FX chip games out it would still be killer.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

HMS Boromir posted:

It's not even clear that it's going to be a virtual storefront, there's no mention of it ever getting more games.

I didn't mean it would be a storefront, I implied that maybe they would release a similar mini-SNES loaded with games.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I find this to be a brilliant move because as a tired rear end dad gamer, my favorite thing about Wii U was taking the controller into the bedroom and playing for a bit at the end of the night versus sitting on my couch. I also have time during my daily commute and lunch break and play from time to time, so having it (instead of my 3DS which is getting long in the tooth) will be great.

I like my PS4 and PC ok as well, but I love everything about this latest NX rumor. I really hope its true. Having a hand held system with next gen console graphics and the availability to hook to the TV is basically my dream system currently.

Animal Crossing and Pokemon gonna own.

And yes as others have said, by letting Nintendo focus all of their development studios now onto one system that's a huge deal. Even if third parties balk there should still be a steady stream of quality first party stuff.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

Feel like this is a load of wishful nerd thinking. I can't see them releasing a handheld when between the recent release of MonHun Generations and the November release of Pokemon Sun & Moon you'd have two really popular system sellers which wouldn't have a game ready for the NX in some time.

Both of those games look good on 3DS but are obviously 3DS games, not HD next gen looking getups. Nintendo also desperately needs them (especially Pokemon) to try and make some money before the NX finally releases as software is few and far between right now.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

This actually does make some sense as to why they'd be paranoid to announce early, afraid Microsoft or Sony could try and work some kind of versions of their consoles that were portable. And no, I don't mean something like the PSP, I mean a PS4 that you can take on the go.

It's really badass that the "gimmick" Nintendo has been cooking up this whole time involves the concept of the system itself and not "waggle 2.0" or something goofy in regards to controller input.

Allegedly, of course.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

That timeline someone posted earlier makes sense that we get the official announcement in September, before the holiday release season really gets underway...especially if they want to get people pre-ordering this thing before a lot of money already gets spent. Waiting any longer than that seems really foolish though.

I suppose if the NX is delayed they could wait to announce, but all signs appear to be pointing that they will actually hit March 2017.

I just can't imagine their is radio silence much longer.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

$249 is what I predict as the price and I think that's the sweet spot if they really want to entice new buyers.

Breath of the Wild and Pikmin 4 are two titles I'd assume it will launch with, with several others probably being Wii U re-releases. Splatoon would be a fantastic title to port at launch.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Wasn't there some kind of leak regarding two different NX SKUs forever ago?

Yeah, and said leak the first to release would be the handheld device. It's looking like this is true, save for the fact the nx IS going to be a handheld primarily.

Going to the cost thing, Nintendo does weird (and annoying) poo poo to keep the price down like when they didn't include the power supply to the 3DS XL/N3DS, so I'd be shocked if the TV docking station is included.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The pokemon game will probably be some sort of "monkey paw wish Pokemon" i.e. some kind of offshoot non-mainline game, but I'm pumped about whatever Mario is going to be. I soooooooooooooooo hope it's some kind of exploration based 3D game ala M64. Some wild rear end galaxy type game would fine too.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Patter Song posted:

I'd be very surprised if the Mario game wasn't an October or November 2017 release as the pillar of NX's frist Christmas.

My thoughts exactly. Launching with Zelda (and whatever else) in the spring with the next Mario game anchoring the holiday lineup half a year later sounds like a great strategy.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sony is now announcing the PS4 Neo in early September, which one would assume is around when Nintendo wanted to talk about NX. I wonder how that'll shake out.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

a.lo posted:

People use to get real excited for Directs

People will be excited for them again once they finally spill the beans on the new console. For the longest time they've just been a "we promise this system isn't dead, see, look at all the software coming out!" type of thing.

If we get through September with still no information on it then I think it's going to be delayed. I sort of already think that.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think we'll see something in September still. I feel less confident about it being before TGS now, though.

Nintendo isn't going to be at TGS though, are they? When I last saw the exhibitor list they weren't there.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Well the Playstation Announcement Event was a wet fart so I'm sure Nintendo is happy about that.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

greatn posted:

Yeah Sony just got overshadowed by a drat endless runner

Yep, it's loving hilarious.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The probability of delay is about the only thing that sounds reasonable at this point.

I'm just looking forward to talking/being excited about Nintendo games again. I "came back" to Nintendo in 2013 via the Wii U (and then 3ds soon after) and it was a great time up until Splatoon. Everything fell off a cliff right after E3 2015 and it's bizarre how long this dead period has been going on.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

VideoGames posted:

I cannot wait to own the new Nintendo console.
My WiiU has been the best gaming purchase (aside from the games on it) in the last decade or so.

Yeah, when I got a Wii U in September 2014 it reignited my interest in Nintendo and it was fantastic. A real shame everything fell off a cliff a year ago.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yep, the unified development is the biggest reason for excitement. In the past its been one or two big first party releases per year for a given system. With this you are probably talking 4-6 high caliber releases in a calendar year.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

Third parties will be even less relevant!!

The funny part about Nintendo potentially being able to prop up a system by themselves with just first party releases is that it may make it popular enough to actually warrant support from third parties!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

loving hell, come on, let this be the week.

Given the amount of people that must know about it by now as well as the crazy hooplah/hype, that must be one scary rear end NDA that folks had to sign.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

With a Paper Mario game (soon to be) released, it now means we can now finally lay the Wii U to rest. Bring on the NX.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Nintendo Duo doesn't seem terrible but not that great either. Definitely better than Wii by a thousand miles though.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Nice to see at least he realized what a dumb, dick thing that was to say and is walking back from it. All of the Iwata stories are amazing and the dude really was one of a kind.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

So some investor news was posted pertaining to Nintendo's conference next week and if it's accurate it looks like that's when we are going to get the timeframe for actual NX news. There is also no strategy meaning planned as surely they don't want to be bombarded by NX related questions.

This whole release strategy is the most bizarre thing. Assuming November is going to come with no announcement, I'd be shocked if they said anything before Sun/Moon release and the NES emulator box.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

edit double post sorry

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 19, 2016

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The best new Pokeman is Litten because he is a professional wrestler cat (eventually) and he would beat the rear end of that nerdy doctor who owl and wussy seal.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

I bought Star Fox Zero because you can get it for $20 new - it's good! The controls really aren't nearly as bad as everyone says. Although to be fair to the critics - if I'd spent a full $60 on this thing I'd probably be a little grumpy.

Popping in a new wii u title makes me nostalgic for 2014 when nintendo was dropping lots REALLY good poo poo :(

2014 was a magical time. It'll be nice when soon enough Nintendo is back to announcing cool things again.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

Spoilers, all they will do at their investor conference is say if the NX is on schedule or delayed. They aren't going to give any details until next year.

Given the complete lack of news, either of those "announcements" would be newsworthy. I'd lean towards it's delayed.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

E3 2014 was what convinced me to buy a Wii U.

don't really regret it

Yep, I purchased mine after that as well and it was a great time. A real shame that e3 2015 was the inverse version of that and basically was the end. Oh well.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I wish Captain Toad would've been adapted for the 3DS. That kind of game would be perfect to play on the go in short bursts.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Red Dead 2 and the NX being shown off for the first time on the same day. What a loving crazy day for gaming.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

That new Zelda footage looks loving awesome. What a glorious day this shall be!

The Nintendo Iwata.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The Switch looks loving amazing and I actually think the name is fine for a hybrid system.

Hooray true 3d mario!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

It's a great name so now PS4 can be beaten with a Switch

• Locked thread