Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I can't even imagine how vindicated Bryan Singer must feel right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Serious question:

Did this loving movie have a death of bruce wayne's parents scene, just in case no one has ever heard of Batman before?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

EorayMel posted:

very first scene in the movie

LMAO

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Zack Synder really wanted some pearls to explode in slow motion bro

lol

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Otisburg posted:

At this point I think the American public is more aware of the particulars of Batman's origin than the algebraic order of operations, the basic three-branch structure of the US government, or heliocentrism.

Unless you're going to do something particularly clever with it (which IMO turning the Krypton stuff into a big sweeping planetary romance vignette in MoS did pretty well), we don't need to see Peter Parker get bit by the drat spider, Batman's parents die, or Clark's kindly adoptive parents happen on his crashed rocket ship anymore.

I will honestly be thrilled if Civil War and subsequent movies never mention Uncle goddamn Ben. Batman, Superman, and Spiderman have origin stories more well known than the birth of Jesus.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

JVNO posted:

I wrongly assumed it was doing poorly because of all the negative reception but lol you're right

Of course it's going to make a shitzillion dollars opening weekend. Look at the title of the movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Domestic weekend:

It's 6th of all time. But consider this: look at the loving title of the movie. Of course this was going to happen.

With almost universal negative word of mouth, I'm really interested to see if it has a 60%> drop in the second weekend.

Remember that Ang Lee's Hulk, Daredevil, and X3 weren't bombs. But the reviews and big weekend drop off scared away the studios.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 28, 2016

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I just watched the RedLetterMedia review and holy loving LOL at the body count and Doomsday having Spiderman 2 Elektro's Techno Music powers.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Man of Steel had the awesome opening stuff on Krypton, 80 minutes of the worst melodrama ever written, and then 45 minutes of idiotic BANG SMASH Michael Bay CGI that was so loving awful BvS had to apologize for it.

(And apparently there's hilarious cutaways during the boss fight where they keep cutting to Batman going "thank god that building was EMPTY, viewers at home!")

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Man of Steel is just like Les Miserables.

The only scenes you should watch are the ones with Russell Crowe in them.

[but for different reasons]

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I feel like the destruction in Man of Steel was vastly overemphasized by critics. Every Superhero Movie has had huge amounts of destruction; cities and poo poo get wrecked in Transformers movies too, nobody seemed to care. Superman cartoon had him getting thrown through buildings every Saturday morning.

The problems with Man of Steel weren't in its violence, it was in the overly somber tone. I liked it, but it's clear most people didn't.

"The incredibly lovely Transformers movies were just as bad" isn't a solid foundation on which to build an argument that Man of Steel wasn't a toilet made of turds.

Also, both Avengers movies had the heroes doing heroic poo poo to save lives.

Being Of PURE GOOD Superman straight up murdered thousands of people while alcoholic Tony Stark and Being of PURE RAGE Hulk mitigated loss of human life and protected the people.

Man of Steel is trash garbage and anyone that likes it is an edgy juggalo teen.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Sure, you can see deeply flawed men making terrible decisions that result in the deaths of thousands of people on C-Span every day.

So our escapist comic book movies about good people doing good for a change is very bad. We need Superman dropping buildings on children. That's what real life is like. And comic books and high adventures and tales of wonder should accurately reflect that life is poo poo.

What kind of rear end in a top hat thinks Superman shouldn't pulverize kids into liquid poo poo under 5 million tons of rubble?

Babies that don't understand art (aka realism), that's who.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Please enjoy my new Punisher film where Frank Castle comes back from Iraq with PTSD and gunshots cause him to freak out and piss his pants and he spends the whole movie trying different combinations of meds and filling out VA benefits forms.

It's more accurate than the cheesy comics and the brutal reality portrayed in his scene where he falls through the cracks in veteran care and overdoses on heroin, I feel, really captures the character of Frank Castle.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The Dark Knight theme is a steady "brrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound and the Man of Steel theme is a cat slowly sneaking up on a mouse on a piano.

And the Avengers didn't have any music at all now that you mention it. Or did it?

I also can't remember the X-Men theme and I've seen all of them several times.

But drat did the soundtracks for Guardians, Watchmen, Deadpool, and Tom Jane Punisher own.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mel Mudkiper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VGJGXMUhmc

Really the only recent big budget Hollywood film I remember the theme to without trying is Pacific Rim because that theme was loving sick.

Wow. I didn't recognize a single note of that until the halfway mark with the big horns.

And yes, Pacific Rim score loving owned.

So did Fury Road and Pirates. Fury Road may be my favorite action music, and Pirates may be the best adventure music since Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

FizFashizzle posted:

nah they hate them both, unlike Dredd which is clearly the best comic book adaptation ever made

Hellboy 2.

I will literally fight you to the death with baseball bats over this.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Zzulu posted:

You really think, for example if they released a justice league by zach snyder, ppl wouldnnt also go see it in droves?

its worth remembering that while this movie is being trashed by critics it still got a 70+ approval rating on Rottentomatoes so the average joe isnt as bothered by it as the internet joe

Likewise the Browns should be happy with Josh McCown. Sure he'll never draw in the money or success of a Drew Brees or Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. But, gosh darn it, all that matters is if you have fun playing the game while your fans boo you off the field.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
*talks like a little lad who loves berries 'n' cream*

Ooooh, I'm Lex Luthor, I have no motivation

*prances to and fro merrily*

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Gorilla Salad posted:

So what exactly is up with Luthor and the jar of piss?

He has to drink it because Michael Cera threatened to beat him up

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

That's so dark and disturbing I won't be able to ever sleep again. Thanks a lot, dickhole.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Trast posted:

I realize that you aren't going to find a six foot and ripped actress in Hollywood but would it have killed Gal to do one of those boot camps like Emily Blunt did for Edge of Tomorrow so she looked a bit more the part?

The sad thing is they could have taken any WNBA star and she would have acted circles around Gar Gamel's mumbling midget rear end.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
They had to make a lot of sacrifices to get a non-actress who mumbles her lines and doesn't fit the character, okay?

Sacrifices.

This $300,000,000 movie didn't have the luxury of hiring a casting director, okay?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I hope Trump or Hillary wins so gays are round up in trains and exterminated just so that critic and Dan Savage never write anything again.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Definitely the highlight of any Superman movie is when a woman has a jar of pee on her desk and Superman can see that something very bad is about to happen and then he stands there and lets the bomb explode and amidst the swirling ashes of a hundred dead people he just looks bored and inconvenienced, but meanwhile people outside are cheering for him because he continues to not help anyone but himself in his one man war against decency and humanity.

Also, mad props to MARTHA Kent for teaching him "gently caress humans, you don't owe them bitches poo poo"

[cue heroic music as a little girl is beheaded by a skyscraper Superman threw at her puppy]

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The jar of piss was the best actor in the movie with the only clear character motivation.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Otisburg posted:

still waiting for the video where the real superman chokes out cavil's sadman in a junkyard.

The best thing that could happen to this franchise is if they hire someone to play Superman in the next movie, and when Cavill's Murderman emerges from the coffin, it turns out he's Bizarro and the REAL Superman, who saves humans and isn't a giant loving megalomaniacal spree killing sociopath, has been exploring the ruins of Krypton.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Remember when Deadpool came out and your entire social media feed was cute and fun and joyously dumb Deadpool poo poo?

Has anyone seen ANYTHING positive and fun about this movie? Not thinkpieces that read like it was written by the living embodiment of the word "Actually,".

Have any of you seen someone personally seeming like they had a good time and want to share their joy?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

a happy snowman posted:

I heard it had one of the biggest second-week drop-offs ever seen for a superhero movie.

I forgot where I heard it, so grain of salt and all that - that could just be in America.

Today begins BvS' second weekend. If everyone stays home or goes to see something else we may be blessed with a Justice League film with no Zack Snyder and a Superman that doesn't murder people for shits and giggles.

And the king of weekend dropoffs for comic movies will probably always be Ang Lee's Hulk, at -69.7%

Fant4stic was -68.2%

X3 was -66.9%

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Steel was -78% :v:

Hellboy II was -70.7% :smith:

Oh my god. :negative:

Well, back to dogpiling on this turd:

Deadpool had a bigger weekday after first weekend.

And the top story on BoxOfficeMojo is "BvS is heading for a MASSIVE second week drop".

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
How long does Civil War have to reshoot that scene and then they immediately go back to whipping each other's asses?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Otisburg posted:

Is Suicide Squad in the same continuity as BvS? Is Juggalo Leato the Joker that killed Batfleck's Robin?

Yep. Batfleck is in the movie, so I'd assume so.

And LOL to the response to the dour Superman movie being hated is they're trying to go back and make the psychotic assassins movie funny and upbeat.

DC / WB is a loving clueless shitshow.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"It's impossible to write a character that is unquestionably good and heroic" declares incredibly dumb motherfucker who has never heard of Professor Xavier, Spiderman, Superman, or Captain America.

"People want hosed up daddy issues, dream sequences, no superhero action for the first 90 minutes, and a love interest that makes no sense because the lead is a total loving dick who just hurts people" the Dawn of Justice fan added, furiously beating off to Ang Lee's Hulk.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well, uh...I'm guessing you don't hang out with comic nerds that often...

The only person I know IRL that liked it is this guy. He wore a Superman shirt to the theater and even though we've broken him down and he knows that 99.99% of this movie is steaming hot liquid dog poo poo, it's still such a great movie because of the awful YouTube clips of Cyborg and Aquaman and a reference to Darkseid.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Fucken LMAO

81% dropoff.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/04/02/box-office-batman-v-superman-plunges-record-81-for-15-35m-friday/

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
*revisits all the thinkpieces about Michael Bay and the end of the era of film criticism*

*sends a case of champagne to RedLetterMedia and RottenTomatoes*

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Otisburg posted:

triggered af by all this shade being thrown on the Donner Superman flicks.

Not only are the Donner films good as hell, but the completely awful Canon films are still delightfully cheesy and I defy anyone to have a bad time watching them.

Also, DC / WB has the BEST animated film library in the world. The animated Batman and Superman movies are loving fantastic.

I guarantee you if you took the animation staff and let them write/produce the live action film with a director that's not a Randroid this movie would have pulled at least a 95% RT score.

Unfortunately WB sees this:

Batman/Returns: A director who truly loves what he's doing working with an amazing cast to produce a product of love with a DARK tone

Batman Forever/and Robin: studio hack making by the numbers cheap garbage with a light tone

Green Lantern: studio hack making by the numbers cheap garbage with a light tone

Dark Knight trilogy: A director who truly loves what he's doing working with an amazing cast to produce a product of love with a DARK tone

So when it came time to make Superman / BvS / Justice League, WB decided "what we need to do is hire a studio hack that will make by the numbers cheap garbage with a DARK tone" because they missed the point by a trillion miles.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Honestly, your need to make him not enjoy the movie he enjoyed is probably more unhealthy than his love of Aquaman.

Do you not talk to friends about movies?

Homeboy fucken LOVED poo poo like the Doomsday fight and we're all like "really?" because it was bad and dumb and he realized he was just nerding out and an awful cgi zombie-Zod is actually a terrible way to present something you wanted to see on film.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I like that Metropolis and Gotham are basically Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri.

And like 40 square blocks of Gotham is uninhabited like those weird empty pre-fab Chinese cities.

It was definitely a good decision to do that and wasn't horribly stupid for the sake of the dumb plot.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The other day I saw an edit of the Superman saves a girl from jumping off a building panel to reflect what the Zack Snyder Superman would do instead. Does anyone have it?

e: the best part is that they gave it that lovely Gears of War brown tint.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 2, 2016

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Kevin Smith is human trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

loving LOL