Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

They even have the framework for the perfect suicide squad movie in that arc

they could have done a literal shot-for-shot live action version of Assault on Arkham and not even needed a director, instead they got a dork who hates marvel movies and quotes zapata to explain his poo poo job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I still don't why they got Ayer (a director noted for his use of realistic action scenes) in a comic book violence movie to begin with

he was dumb enough to say yes

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I just tried reading the Cd thread

what the gently caress

Pretty much every BvS shot with characters in it has more characterization than an entire scene of Marvel banter. You have to be capable of reading visual language of film though, which you seem to struggle with. Actually, you'd have to miss out not only on visual language on film but also visual acting, i.e. actors' expressions, body language and all that other good stuff that's part of any human interaction, if you think that "two characters hate each other, but one realizes they both have a mommy named Martha" is in any way an adequate summary of what happened in BvS.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

let me tell you why this universally panned superhero movie is secretly brilliant because its shot like a lovely metal video

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Behold, the CineD version of a sick burn:

the second picture is supposed to be a dig at marvel. yes, seriously.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

what am I even looking at here

marvel movies are brightly lit, fun, and usually come with interesting characters and stories

obviously they are poo poo when compared to the glorious cinematography of zack loving snyder

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

all you're missing are the overwrought allegories and dragonforce music video aesthetics and we're in business

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

If your script sets up a scenario where Superman is facing an impossible challenge and he has to rely on punching rather than using his wit and humanity to beat the bad guy, you've completely missed the entire point of the character, film itself, and storytelling in general.

There's a strong guy with a moral dilemma.
Well what does he do?
He just is strong at things.

That's not storytelling. That's a comic a 5 year old would draw, not a film. Man of Steel is insulting to the entire craft and god help anyone that thinks it's anything other than juvenile, ignorant, talentless hack bullshit.

you should read the BvS thread, they're arguing over how often batman should murder people

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah like, I don't really need Captain America to be a rabid sovereign citizen or whatever poo poo, but even the idea that he as a character is totally unaware of the implications of that kind of "I won't be beholden to agendas" statement and nobody's really willing to call him on it because they're too nervously reverent of his patriotic service, that would be way more than what we got

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I agree. Both of The Avengers movies are some of the worst movies to come out of the MCU so far, to be honest. The first one is shot like a TV movie, while the second one is just a mess. I'm very glad Joss Whedon doesn't have much, if any, influence over the films now, that's for sure.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

What did it better than the Avengers? Not being a dick; I'm genuinely curious. Because the Avengers 2 was worse and BvS is garbage and I can't think of any other franchises that are doing the "everyone gets their own movie then we team up" thing

captain america 3?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

Oh right. I haven't seen it, sorry.

its worth it for the spiderman part at least

also probably the first superhero movie where the villain was intelligent and had a good plan

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Well, until you think about how he was possibly able to predict that so many moving parts would come together in a way he could take advantage of. Like yeah not forseeing Black Panther's involvement was his downfall, but how on earth could he have predicted that at any point the world governments or Captain America or Bucky wouldn't just die or escape or even chill out?

cause theyre superheroes. he took advantage of their messianic complex to "get things done themselves" and come after him

kind of a fun twist actually

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Marvel should really announce a Thunderbolts movie right now with Zemo as the leader in his Citizen V persona. Just to gently caress with DC even more

kinda what im hoping for

also tobey maguire has to play venom. this is mandatory

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Your theory is the same as the one where Superman could have saved every single life in Man Of Steel if he simply 'cared harder'. So Superman is secretly conspiring against humanity, like the figure of The Jew in various conspiracy theories.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Gatekeeper posted:

I did hear that the batman: the animated show is very good but I'm iffy on starting a series, I'm thinking trying some features first would be a good intro. Suggestions welcome, friends!

mask of the phantasm is a legitimately great movie and still holds up

only dc animated movie to get a theatrical release and you can see why

Bro Dad fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 5, 2016

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

marvel movies are good. dc movies suck.

it's a cine d post

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Germstore posted:

Cavill stupid hot though.

man from uncle proves he can be good a actor too, but no zack snyder needs him to pose and emote like an action figure

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Moola posted:

close CD and ban everyone in it holy poo poo

Basically, the reading that White knows about Clark's alter-ego hinges upon interpreting all of his dialog as thinly-veiled, but acerbically witty and self-conscious "put on" for the sake of copping for this god-man. The fundamental question we need to ask is, why would Perry agree to have the Superman on his journalistic staff? Because you saved my life? What does that mean with regards to your obviously false credentials which I now need to become complicit in fabricating so that we can conveniently ignore that you're just some dirt farmer's kid who's only ever been trusted to clean tables and turn valves your whole life?

It's an almost conspiratorial way of interpreting the film, that Perry gets off on his performance of just persistently down-talking to or ignoring Clark's opinion, he's totally unafraid of the man of steel and completely cynical about his "real world skills." Like, when he says, "clicks his heels three times and goes back to Kansas, I suppose," it's his more-Marvel-than-Marvel moment where he just roots his life in the history of popular "dreams," one that he can't escape from.

The problem is Perry never acts like a guy who's as in love with the image of Superman as the Cowardly Lion is with the image of Dorothy, possessing them to strive to be more than they think they can be because of their fear (one of the "market," the other of "violence"). But "the Superman" is completely peripheral to Perry's perspective - He sees a picture of his defaced monument and, within ear-shot of the guy, vocally announces that he's going to perpetuate dialog speculating over his motives as an invasive "man from the sky" rather than criticism of the flagrantly immoral Gotham police force. Perry only brings up the Superman explicitly in private conversation once, and it's based on his relationship to him through Lois, who he cynically assumes is only out to make "her boyfriend" out to be a victim. But Perry clearly doesn't even take the idea of "a threat to Superman" seriously. He considers Superman's existence just an opportunity to sell papers, not a more complex political narrative that refers back to systemic problems.

The point is that Perry is alienated from the moral universe that people who know Superman personally are forced to occupy. He sees everything as one big "honey-pot," basically.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

those are all words written about the black guy who was in the movie for maybe thirty seconds

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Idk but it's probably some idiot who is paid way too loving much to make these idiot decisions.

also subject of the greatest burn letter of all time

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

I would recommend Batman Brave and the Bold then

they even make fun of zack snyder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYBw3ilZZUg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

guy sucking up to smg lmao posted:

Yeah, SMG has been vouching for its similarities to Escape from New York since the beginning - and it's a good comparison, seeing as Escape from New York is, like, one of the most naive of all dystopian action movies, what with it being a remake of The Wizard of Oz and all.

good point master, you are so wise and smart :downs:

• Locked thread