Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nirvikalpa posted:

Is anyone astounded by the fact that children's cartoons handle the idea of dark Superman better? I've been watching Young Justice and Justice League and both don't have Superman as goody two shoes, but he is still miles better than Snyder's Superman. Why?

In the DCAU Superman has:

- Angrily killed Darkseid by blowing him up alongside Brainiac and injured batman when he tried to stop this.
- Killed the president and overthrown all of the world's government's with his pals (in a parallel universe admittedly, he also lobotomized most of the worlds supervillains).
- Openly flouted the authority of the united states multiple times to the benefit of himself and the Justice League to the point that the government starts to organize a secret program to combat the league when they notice a giant death ray was installed on the watchtower.
- Completely lost his poo poo against Mongul and entrapped him in a lotus eater state.
- Had his will taken over multiple times by various aliens and poo poo to wreck havok on earth.
- Come within a hairs width of killing Vandal Savage, Lex Luthor and Mongul when they really pressed him.
- Destroyed a city for low income people and got into a massive fight with Captain Marvel because he couldn't believe Lex Luthor would do something right for once.
- Melted Granny Goodness's brains.

And yet they still managed to make superman likable and relatable by not losing sight of his core good nature and showing realistic reasons for why he may do so unsavory things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Young Freud posted:

I find it hilarious because WW1 is a helluva a lot more ambiguous morally than World War 2. WW2 had a pretty clear villain in Hitler and the various Fascist regimes that supported him and doing pretty clear cut atrocities, such as invading other countries and genocide. Germans fighting in WW2 were either 1) conscripts whom fought out of ignorance of what was going on, fear of reprisals, under the mistaken belief of fighting to defend the country from Bolsheviks, and/or really had an axe to grind when it came to the French or British or 2) volunteers and elitists who actively participated in the horrors of the Nazi regime. The Germans in WW1 were basically fighting to because they wanted to hang Princip for assassinating one of their nobles and the Russians wouldn't give him up? Like huh? The motives of a German soldier in WW1 were less clear cut because most of the time, they were just drafted and sent to the front.

It's hilarious because DC's trying to emulate the villainy in WW2 with Wonder Woman fighting the Germans, but the real villains of WW1 were way behind the front lines on both sides, meaning Wonder Woman is going to chopping off heads of German conscripts who have the same culpability as their French and British counterparts.

I dunno, if Ares is the main bad guy (which he should be) WW1's reputation for being a pointless bloodbath could be a pretty good backdrop for him, at least compared to WW2 where it would be at odds with that war's noble allies versus evil Nazis mythos.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

On the other hand, Empire magazine.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Say Nothing posted:

Not really a superhero movie, but Scarlett Johansson is starring in Ghost In The Shell.

Shouldn't they get an Asian person?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Trast posted:

It's surprising enough that someone green lit an action movie starring a woman. Her version of Black Widow is very popular with people and Marvel still hasn't considered making a solo movie when fuckin' Ant-Man is getting a sequel. And regardless of it being a white actress or an asian one nerds are going to relentlessly poo poo on it for not being pure honorable anime.

Not sure about that, comic book movies are bad with women but general action stuff? You have things like Ultraviolet, Resident Evil, Salt, Aeon Flux and all of the Alien films, even the two Alien vs Predator movies! Sure it might all be schlocky crap, but I don't think lady action heroes are a total anathema in this day and age.

Also who gives a gently caress if nerds are hard to please? Its still originally a clearly Japanese character, and its not like you see many Asian women in lead roles in Hollywood.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Looking at old BTAS episodes the quality is way more erratic than I remember (especially in the animation).

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

The change happened when the show started to be farmed out to an oversees art sweatshop, they simplified all the character designs to save budget.

Like I said, you really should watch the original BTAS episodes, the swings in quality can be incredible. There are some episodes that just look brilliant, almost movie quality, and there are others that make the Super-friends cartoons look like the Lion King. For whatever else can be said about the later cartoons they were much more consistent, and by the time they got to JLU era the animation quality was actually consistently really good (although everyone, especially the women, had the exact same body type).

Watch the two face two-parter (heh) and you'll see the show at the very best and worst between the episodes.

Finally I believe the first Joker image was from the Phantasm movie as opposed to the actual show, so of course it would look really good.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Rutibex posted:

except whenever their tried to use CGI, dear god it always looked like a N64 game

Hey come on, it was TV budgets and 2005, what are ya gonna do.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Squizzle posted:

DC films will all be failures in my eyes until at least one includes this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAFP0IoMfsA

Is there some kind of curse on DC that allows them to make really animated stuff by siphoning the quality off of anything live action they do?

And vice versa for Marvel?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Micheal Bay is incredibly good at making a grilled cheese sandwich. Everybody loves grilled cheese sandwiches even though we all kind of know its pretty bad for you and you could probably be eating something better. That video also shows how when he tries to make anything other than a grilled cheese sandwich things start to fall apart.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nuebot posted:

It's kind of weird that DC hasn't really managed to produce anything better than their old cartoons.

Not that weird considering they were really, really good.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I like the way the old cartoons managed to somehow be more mature and dramatic than any of their lovely grimdark movies since the last batman movie. The Cadmus arc in the Justice League cartoon would just be the best thing if it was a subtly evolving arc in a live action movie series, given massive amounts of money and talent while not having to work within the constraints of kids animation.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

mind the walrus posted:

Don't get me wrong the DCAU stuff is a phenomenal and unprecedented accomplishment of serial storytelling considering it wasn't planned, and the highs are genuinely high (the Cadmus arc in JLU is easily the best DC adaptation outside of the 77 Superman ever), but even the best of it is still a preteen cartoon.

What's funny is that the very best stuff is heavily weighted towards Justice League/Justice League Unlimited, but 99% of people you ask will mention early Batman: The Animated Series despite not having seen it in 20 years, which is historically interesting and has good episodes that ooze style, but has largely aged like processed cheese.

I think people get too wound up over the fact that its for kids. For most of history comic books and comic book characters were made with kids in mind, but fans are loath to admit this, especially with DC for whatever reason, hence Batman's constant juvenile edginess in almost all forms of media he's appeared in since the mid 80s. I kind of like the way the old cartoons just ignore that element. Heck, a lot of the Marvel and Spider man live-action movies are only a little more complex, mature and gritty than the old DC cartoons and I'm not criticizing them for that.

With the Batman animated series though, I think that was a lot more erratic in quality than people remember. Some episodes had absolutely brilliant writing, animation, voice acting, direction etc and others.... less so.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nirvikalpa posted:

I didn't watch too much of the DCAU when I was a kid, but I gotten around to watching it recently and I think it's fine as a cartoon. It's no less mature than any of the live action movies are. Overall I think the stories are pretty solid and meaningful.

I don't want to overstate it but they could get weirdly dark at times. I remember there was this one episode of Superman where a crooked cop carbombs Clark Kent to prevent him from uncovering a frameup for a murder he organised that's put an innocent man on death row. That episode ends with said cop himself being executed after the truth comes out and realizing that Clark Kent was superman as poison gas fills up the cell. Its like an episode of law and order starring Superman.

There was also one episode of Justice League where the league ends up in an alternate version of earth that's just like a 1950s comic book with sickly earnest superheroes foiling silly criminals who only want to steal rubies and rob banks in a generic American city where all the people are incredibly nice. Turns out the whole thing is an elaborate facade created by a horrific psychic mutant in a post-nuclear war hellscape who has the survivors permanently imprisoned in his fantasy as he plays out his games. The Mutant almost kills the Justice league when they realize the truth until that universe's heroes sacrifice their own existence and world to save the Justice league and kill their creator. Ah jeez that ending really got me.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Young Freud posted:

Can you name one of these poor quality episodes? I just went through a list of B:TAS episodes and can't remember a single one that was lovely. I know that nothing can be 100% perfect, but I would love to hear what's a bad B:TAS episode.

Or are you including New Batman Adventures in that as well, because then I would probably agree with you. It took me a bit to realize that's when they changed Mr. Freeze's look as well as had the great episode about Robin falling in love with Clayface's "daughter" (which apparently was directed by a future Ghibli animator)

Personally? The episode with Dr Strange was terrible, a really dumb plot that required Wayne to act really really dumb and had a really, really, really dumb payoff. It seemed to have trouble filling the time even though its only 22 minutes long, and the animation looks very dated now.

There's several problems I had with BTAS when I re-watched it that were less noticable in later DCAU stuff. The animation quality flew all over the drat place, certain episodes had loving jaw-dropping animation quality, Two-face part 1 and Feet of clay part 2 in particular look more like they should be on a contemporary cinema screen than TV, though a lot of that looks rotoscoped I must admit. Then you have episodes where it looks more like the old Filmation cartoons in the 70s in all the worst ways, characters are underdetailed, stocky, move awkwardly and don't slot into the surroundings very well, this is especially noticeable in the two parters when you watch a well animated episode get followed up by a poorly animated episode finishing off the story and the dip in quality can be very jarring. Two-face part 2 is a good example.

People poo poo-talk the new adventures of batman for a lot of the decisions they made with the visuals(i.e., Joker's way too under-detailed face that got rid of his signature lips), as well as Bruce Timm's tendency to only have one body type for men and women, and there are lots of fair criticisms there, but I found the low point in animation quality that the DCAU could reach after Batman was never as bad as the worst animation in BTAS, the quality was a lot more consistent. The standard also improved over time, stuff like the Batman Beyond movie and later seasons of Justice League have some of the best animation I've ever seen on TV.

Another problem I had was that they tended to overexplain things in a very awkward manner to try and justify whatever was happening on screen. I remember one episode where Talia and Batman have to team up to fight vertigo, and Talia suddenly goes 'Oh no Batman I've lost my special contact lenses that allow me to resist Vertigo's powers(!?), I can't see poo poo!' so Batman has to babysit her for the next five minutes.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

film nerds are really mad that MCU is super popular and making All Of The Money.

I don't think they are actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

readingatwork posted:

As someone who grew up in an age where "comic book movie" meant something like Steel, The Phantom or Batman and Robin I don't get anyone being mad at the MCU.

Yeah, the only people mad about Marvel seem to be concentrated in CineD. Normal (heh) film nerds usually seem to consider the MCU to be fun and competent though also fluffy and mostly safe.

• Locked thread