Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I enjoyed the Ultimate Version of BvS

So what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

you are bad and wrong

Not only did I enjoy it, I thought it was great and much better than Civil War

Come at me bro

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

If you guys haven't watched the "death of superman lives" documentary, you'd probably enjoy it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GkRxXicAuYo

Nic Cage would've been, at the least, an interesting superman, and I'm sad we didn't get his version instead of the lame reboots.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

that documentary was pretty bad cuz the guy making it injected himself into it. shoulda just been talking heads.

I thought he looked loving hot imo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean we know that Black Widow got some off-brand Soviet Super Soldier Serum, as did Winter Soldier, but I don't think Hawkeye's power is ever really explained beyond "he's really loving accurate with his bow and has a bunch of different arrows he can shoot"

Which, I will grant, can be pretty good if you're shooting from far enough and have some really nasty arrows, but then he routinely gets into fights where he's close enough to club a sucker with the bow, which seems counter-productive for someone that's ostensibly grade-A normal homo sapien.

He's literally just a dude who practices a lot with arrows

"I'm on a team with super-humans. And one god, in case you've forgotten. Even you... well, you climb walls really well. The training is the only thing that makes me special. And if I'm not special, then none of this is worth it. I gave up a lot for this life. I could have been happy with Mockingbir-- Bobbi. We could have had a good, simple life. But I wanted to play with the big boys. And if I miss, it means I'm just another dude with a bow. It means I've been fooling myself this whole time. And that's why I never miss. -Clint Barton from Earth 616 comic books"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

and then he missed in that same issue and spiderman lied to make him feel better, thus invalidating hawkeye's entire existence. arguing that hawkeye is cool and useful is fine, but maybe you shouldn't quote a comic where he portrayed as an ineffectual clown?

Relax nerd

I'm not gonna read comic books lol I got that quote off the internet

I'm too cool for you, actually, I don't even know why I'm posting in reply, I'm just a cool dude I guess :pilot: Y'know? Just a cool dude on the Internet

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Putty posted:

if batman and superman encounter each other who grabs the others rear end first????

Depends how much time Batman has had to
Prepare

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Cowman posted:

There was no need to show him watching it all in slow motion other than to just have some slow motion in there. It would have been way better if he threw the batarang and then the flash disappeared and reappeared in his chair holding the batarang. Maybe not even have him disappear and reappear, just have it all be a quick throw and he dodges and catches it in just a second. Or if you want it to be super loving goofy and stupid then have him put it in a display case in the span of a second while batman is just doing his throw pose.

Your ideas are all worse

Seems the flash is here to connect to dumb millennials, being the young friendless guy

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

yeah of all things to nitpick at least it serves a purpose in the context of the scene

I like the idea that Bruce Wayne tests the superfriends when he meets them by seeing if he can kill them with batarangs.

Good point

I mean that batarang was aimed straight at dude's head, and Batfleck is like "oh, so you're fast" :crossarms:

Well what if I wasn't fast you dick

And flash is so loving desperate for friends he's still joining a team where the captain is throwing poo poo at his head

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Pope Mobile posted:

Reminder that the Star Wars: Episode I trailer made the movie look amazing.

Trailers today are really lovely though

Like they spoil half the movie, for some reason I don't understand

They spoiled GB2016, the Doomsday monster in BvS and I guess a bunch of other stuff I c ant remember

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

This was a billion dollar franchise guys

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Ummm Will Smith is MARRIED?? You guys are so wrong

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

ultrabindu posted:

So they're off to fight the demon. Why even have the Joker then?
Movies with B plots can work but why does this lovely film need one?

Why not, BvS had a B, C an D plot

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

G-III posted:

Saw BvS last week. It's worse than batman and robin because at least that movie had good old schwarzenegger belting out hilarious one liners.

Wonder Woman had no reason to be there at all.

That scene in which supes stops the batmobile is ridiculous because superman totally ignores all the rockets and gunfire being shot off by lex's merc thugs in addition to not even remotely trying to figure out what is going on.

If lex was just going to weaponize the kryptonite why did he need batman at all or did he want batman to steal the kryptonite? This made no sense.

Why not hit superman with the kryptonite gas then smash him up with sonic waves and gunfire? Why use those tactics before you weaken him if your goal was to kill him?

At this point I had stopped questioning why anything happened, but this is a good point, why the gently caress doesn't superman see the batman chasing dudes with rocket launchers and he decides to stop batman instead of thugs, at this point it's well known batman beats up thugs

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Mordja posted:

Big surprise it blows, after all this

Is way to many loving characters to be introduced in a single movie. DC so desperately wants to emulate Marvel's success without laying any of the groundwork. Even Guardians of the Galaxy only has a main cast of five and Groot doesn't really talk, and Bautista also doesn't say a lot.

I don't think that's their problem here, none of the suicide squaddies are supposed to be relevant, even Harley is a sidekick
their main problem is DC can't figure out what a good movie is without a Tim Burton or Christopher Nolan doing all the work

I guess David Ayer should've done a good job but who knows why he didn't, his other movies are ok

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

they hosed up even doing anything remotely associated with Joker so soon after the last one

sorry but it's true Heath Ledger's knocked it out the loving park and you need to wait a good 5-10 years unless you want to get compared to his performance (and you'll be found severely wanting bc let's be real that was a sick performance) and probably bomb

how they even got that past the initial stages without someone saying exactly that idk

It's the old Coca Cola switcheroo

Only Jared Leto was stupid and arrogant enough to try and improve on ledger's performance, he's a patsy, a sort of Suicide Actor

Next joker will be like "well he's no Heath Ledger, but at least better than Leto!"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

i just watched the ultimate edition and thought it was an amazing spectacle. I am so pleased I missed the theatrical version and even more pleased I remained spoiler free. I loved the mash up of Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman.
As usual Zack makes a beautiful film with amazing cinematography, and I thought the psychosis aspect of Bruces dreams was a great way of reminding the audience that this guy is not normal by any stretch of the imagination, which other bat films fail to convey.

Wonder Womans reveal was excellent and myself and my wife fist punched the air with a 'YES!' when she appeared with the awesome shift in musical score,

I loved MoS, I love BvS even more.

Blood leaking out of poster's brain while writing this, smiling like a mad man

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

i enjoy movies so what :shrug:

That's cool, I enjoyed the Ultimate Edition too actually

Just can't imagine anyone punching the air because of Wonder Woman but ok, you huge nerd

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

its called immersion, non autistics experience it from time to time

Never heard of it

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I liked the Animated suicide squad movie, and apparently this 150 million turd won't improve on a cartoon

The Wonder Woman cartoon movie was also surprisingly entertaining, and I fully expect WW to bomb now

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I'm glad they killed superman

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Glass Joe posted:

lol http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

It was fine though when they moved the release date for BvS, a much smaller movie with lesser-known, obscure characters.

Does SS deliver on the Edgy Fun? I've not seen it.

"Will Suicide Squad get there? Have our beleaguered (W)Bros. brethren bit into a box-office bomb?? Tune in this weekend - same suicide time, same suicide channel!" - already a more exciting prospect than the movie itself.

There is no way the suicide skwad earns 800 million dollars

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Gatekeeper posted:

I did hear that the batman: the animated show is very good but I'm iffy on starting a series, I'm thinking trying some features first would be a good intro. Suggestions welcome, friends!

The Wonder Woman movie is alright

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Seriouspost: Nah. People like to say this because the DC animated series stuff tends to be of a much higher caliber as far as literal children's cartoons go--Batman The Animated Series, Superman the Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Teen Titans, The Brave and the Bold, Young Justice, etc. are all worth a look if you're a literal child, a preteen, or have absolutely nothing better to do with your time.

The DC animated movies are garbage dumps for projects that enough fans want to see adapted but nowhere near marketable enough to consider for live action with the notable exception of Suicide Squad. That's why most of them are just truncated versions of famous DC books like The Dark Knight Returns, All-Star Superman, the New Frontier, and Flashpoint: Paradox for some reason. I have yet to see one that rises above the level of mediocre. I recall the best one being the "Earth 2" one which was an aborted script for the older Justice League cartoon and it's only worth watching for James Woods as Owlman and Guido Ultraman. Watch these if you are too much of an imbecile to spend 20 minutes reading a comic at Barnes and Noble.

You're suposed to pay for those, you thief!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Nirvikalpa posted:

You hit the nail on the head. I usually get pretty anxious and excited when the character is in danger during a movie. I even felt that way during Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue. But during the car chase scene in BvS I felt absolutely nothing. It just seemed like random cars all over the place.

Please gently caress me

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

It's ok even Spider-Man had to teach the Beyonder to poop:

Comic books are such poo poo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

Any movie with a 2.5 hour, let alone 3 hour, running time has to be a tightly packed, spellbinding experience to just not feel too goddamn long. Adding 30 minutes to BvS to add clarity, to me, is like throwing more garbage on top of a trash fire to smother it and feeling proud when it goes from flaming intensely to merely guttering toxic smoke constantly.

E: I want an 1:45 cut with subplots gone and some of the extended cut material slotted in to glue the story together and then BvS might be worth watching with friends on the couch to riff on it.

Here's the thing with BvS - it's like 3 movies mashed into one

You got the death of superman arc with doomsday

The dark knight returns sort of fight between BvS

The intro to a Darkseid invasion or something, where Lex comes in, and related to this is the whole "What if superman goes crazy lets judge him"

And also shades of the Injustice comic, with a dream where Superman is crazy because Lois died

And also they had to introduce the Justice League and Wonder Woman

It's a fuxking mess

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

The worst thing comic books ever did was bring people back from the dead

Is wolverine back yet, I think most people don't even know he's "dead"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Yes/No. They brought "Old Man Logan" back. I think he's from an alt. timeline and not just an aged Wolverine, but honestly I can't be bothered to find out. All I know from snippets of what I read online, he's functionally identical to regular Wolverine, people just make "old man" jokes now.

Scratch my last post, the dumbest thing comics ever did was Alternate Timelines

Like a few glimpses into other universes were cool and fun(haha Batman meets 60's Batman and it's wacky) but becoming part of the regular storylines... Ugh

Comic books are for idiots

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I've never liked anyone who likes dr who

It's just such a dumb tv show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Turns out you idiots were all wrong and BvS is actually full of WINS