Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

wow the visual style has aged really well, dude put effort into it

The guy who made this invented rotoscoping for the series. They also cost something insane like $1.5million per episode (adjusted for inflation).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So what exactly is up with Luthor and the jar of piss?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Tony Stark is still better than Reed Richards, who is useless.

Fantastic Four would work if they didn't keep trying to make them grounded and gritty. The FF are balls to the wall science insanity and any movie with them should have a dozen different threads going on at once.

Teleportation, Annihilus attacking from the negative zone, Galactus doing a flyby, the Watcher inviting them to tea on his moon base, Johnny Storm casually playing pranks on Ben using a time machine stolen from Doom (who NEVER appears in the movie), a dozen alien species walking around in the background, their two kids getting into trouble, the house robots gaining sentience and going on strike, Reed locking himself in the lab for half the movie and Sue yelling at him because he promised to take them for ice cream and the Mole Man attacks them with a 100 metre high monster and ten thousand Moloids.

And throw in the Eternals and Deviants and Skrulls disguised as furniture and anything else the ever appeared in the comics. Also, at least three different dimensions, including the Microverse (and insulting Hank Pym), must be passed through with absolutely no fanfare whatsoever.

No overarching plot, just a 'day in the life' where life is insane.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 30, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Say Nothing posted:

And this joke...

Does cyborg even have junk to beat?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So apparently Suicide Squad is going back and reshooting a tonne of scenes with added "character interaction and humour" because every single funny moment in the movie was in the trailer.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Mozi posted:

Ah yes, I remember all those times from the comics where the Joker would call up somebody just to say 'gently caress you.'

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Those hands are genuinely creepy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

ruddiger posted:

Holy poo poo Sammo Hung knocked BvS out of first place in China.

What's this from, I'm always up to watch a Sammo Hung movie and I've haven't seen him knock out a muscle chick before.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'm getting the feeling, from Zack Snyder's interview, that the whole "Martha" moment was a core point the entire movie was built around.

"Like they're fighting and just destroying everything, right? Then Superman calls out his mother's name, Martha, and it happens to be Batman's mother's name! Oh my god. It changes everything, right. Audiences will be blown the gently caress away! Give me a quarter of a billion dollars."

Of course, it's not the first time a whole work has been created just a single shared name moment:

Star Trek v X-Men.

achillesforever6 posted:

I still can't believe they couldn't just adapt this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5nUsa8ZLm4

I always liked this moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME66HTeNbHY

Because of course Batman already knows who they are. He's Batman.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'd like to see a moment like this in the next Batman movie:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Have any of them used their special eyes to determine the true author's intent of my posts?

If you read Zizek, you'll see that when I point out that Lois having psychic powers to determine the need for the kryptonite spear and how that compares to Batman having the powers of premonition are not a critique but rather a chance to express a feminist nihilistic allegory for seeing the future of DC films by seeing the future of DC films seeing the future of DC films in a DC film.

It reminds of how things were a few years ago across half the forums where everybody was libertarian. That loving poo poo was everywhere because babbies first interest in philosophy plus internet makes for some really stupid poo poo.

CineD is just going through a similar phase, only rather than discussing how it's moral to heat their homes with the bodies of the poor, they've "discovered" Zizek, so it's all overblown cargo cult postmodern psychosocial film critique

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

One thing struck me this morning- little girls probably aren't going to be able to see Wonder Woman. Like, I don't know if it will be as big a mess as Snyder's made Superman, but it certainly seems to be planning on dipping in to a dark tone w/ it being set in WW1 of all things.

My old college roommate has 3 girls- they love Superheroes. They loved The Force Awakens and loved Rey, obviously. I don't think they necessarily feel like they can't connect to a male superhero, but it just seems odd that Wonder Woman- oddly enough an area where DC could actually do something before Marvel because they don't have a tentpole female movie lead- will be pretty inaccessible.

I guess I'm suggesting that DC is really dumb? Poo poo? Pee...pee?

This horrible creepy webcomic has never been more relevant:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

That's a whole lot of images to say, "their mothers had the same name which is why they stopped fighting" and expecting us to be blown away as though it was some incredibly deep revelation.

Not explicitly stated by half a dozen characters = deeply profound subtlety.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The name of the spaceship - the SS Martha.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Sees desperate people fighting over resources to survive. "You're obviously not ready for this free energy technology"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
There was (and probably still is) one poster called Tyrannosaurus, or something, who would post these huge rambling 'death of the author' screeds of every terrible movie which came out. He spent thousands of words on why the Transformers sequels were the greatest works of art ever made, for example.

Initially everyone made fun of him. Then people started imitating him. Now it's turds all the way down.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

They created Darkseid.

Wait, what? Isn't Darkseid the leader of the New Gods whose whole thing is being ancient beings of immense power at the very edge of the universe?

How did the Kryptonians create him? What loving hack wrote that?

It sounds as bad as Speilberg having to make everyone related in Star Wars. Superman's dad built C3PO.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Cap was working with a bunch of reconstructed super villains. And by "reconstructed" I mean that literally. SHIELD had taken fragments of cosmic cubes and rebuilt their bodies and personalities into nice, lawabiding people. Mind rape, pretty much. But it's okay because they're the good guys.

But all the fragments of cosmic cubes had merged together into the form of a young girl, because of loving course they did.

This girl turned Cap from the geriatric and feeble self he's been the past year or so into a young and fully powered Captain America. She also seems pretty lacking in human morality and empathy, doing some pretty sketchy things. You know, standard 'god child does not understand her own strength or this human thing you call...love'.

So, gee, I wonder if this physical embodiment of the power to change reality itself has anything to do with Captain loving America suddenly remembering a lifetime of being a Hydra agent.

Naah.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 30, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So it's the reverse of a 3000 year old vampire in the body of a child?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Fonzarelli posted:

can you imagine how clever Hack Snyder thought he was when realised that superman and batman's mum have the same name?

Definitely.

You can feel he wanted to hinge the entire movie on that moment. Two enemies finding this unexpected connection in the middle of a fight. The childlike innocence and purity of their love for the mothers brought to the fore during a bloody fight of inhuman brutality where the city itself shakes in fear.

The audiences' minds are blown. Oh. My. God.

If only it wasn't in such a mediocre movie with such terrible direction that everyone just laughed at them instead.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Never showing the colour orange except when Aquaman's on screen.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

JaredBS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gglkYMGRYlE

maybe he got it right this time ?
that trailer looks a ton better than BvS

So they're setting up Aquaman as angry water Thor?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Zzulu posted:

I thought Wonder Woman was as powerful as Superman yet she's struggling deflecting some ww1 machinegunfire with her supershield

meanwhile;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2gQo-0VW5c

Pretty sure that was lifted wholesale from a comic with a different superhero.

Edit: the shooting in the eye and not blinking bit, I mean.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 25, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

I still remember the beautiful simplicity of the Annakin/Vader shadow posters. drat near got chills the first time I saw one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
^^^ not just me, then.

LMAO Suicide Squad ends with a blue laser shooting into the sky.

I don't get it. What am I missing here?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Flesh Forge posted:

I recently re-watched Man of Steel and holy loving poo poo that's a bad movie in retrospect. I gave the early parts of the movie on Krypton way too much credit, the whole thing is just brutally terrible from start to finish. Michael Shannon and Antje Traue were both great but otherwise it's such a ponderous, pretentious slog. When Teen Clark saves a busload of children from death and his dad chews his rear end for it I couldn't stand it any more and quit watching.

Actual conversation at DC:

:manning:: Let's make a movie about one of our top tier superheroes. One who is selfless, kind, dedicated and believes in helping people. The guy they made the word "superhero" for.

:goleft:: Who should we get to direct it?

:manning:: I don't know, but make sure he's a libertarian.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

mind the walrus posted:

Joe Quesada hosed over 25 years of Spider-man stories to undo his marriage. It's not like that kind-of petty behavior would be unprecedented.

Quesada making Spider-Man single for the first time in a quarter of a century because he had a hard on for the lovely "Peter can't date because his web slinging gets in the way" stories of his childhood is still one of the stupidest things which has ever happened in comics*.

Having a sniper take down Aunt May and then making Spider-Man sell his marriage to the devil to save her :ughh:

* Not to mention how contemptuous it was to the readers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Dear reddit,

My boyfriend is throwing a huge diapermad tantrum over comics books movies. Should I dump him.

E: He's an MRA but I let it slide because that's not a red flag right?

E2: I'm in the trunk of his car. I just woke up. I can hear buoys so I think he drove me out to the river. I can feel chains around my feet. Not sure if I should dump him. What do?

Any women who hears "men's rights" from a boyfriend should just loving run.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Freestyle posted:

how the gently caress is this not the violation of privacy?

How the gently caress would it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Young Freud posted:

Batman can't kill the Joker, but he doesn't have to save him from getting sentenced to death.

I see you're not familiar with the story where Batman does exactly that.

Joker got convicted of a crime he didn't commit and Batman moved heaven and earth to get the conviction overturned before Joker was executed.

• Locked thread