Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Yesterday I bought a Crock Pot and immediately started browsing GWS for a thread with recipes to toss in that thing and make yummy stuff. Either I am bad at searching these here forums or there is no recent one so here is the request for your favorite crock pot food.

Here are some pics of what I did to it myself based on my limited knowledge and some help from a friend who makes money cooking (he told me to add the thermometer).

Needed:
Half a pork shoulder
onions
sjalots
garlic
salt, pepper, thyme, peppercorns, bayleaf
some soup blocks

Recipe instructions:
Chop up unions, sjalots and garlic, rub thyme, salt and pepper on meat, add meat in pot, toss all ingredients in some amount you think is nice in crockpot, add water until meat is almost submerged. Set temp on low and thermometer to alert at 88, set time to 12h. Go on with your life until something beeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

5-6 lbs boneless pork country style ribs
Dry rub/seasoning blend of your choice

Apply dry rub generously to meat. Place meat in slow cooker. Turn on low 6-8 hours.

Remove pork from slow cooker and pull into shreds with two forks. Pour liquid from cooker into a saucepan and reduce over high heat until it thickens a bit. Pour over meat and toss to coat.

Eat a shitload of the pulled pork you just made.

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
There are a few easy classics I lean on pretty heavily:

Chicken breasts (however many you have) + Salsa to cover (usually two jars) -- Throw in the pot, cook on low for 8 hours. Remove breasts from pot, shred with forks, put back in pot to mix with juices. Done.

Pork shoulder, two cans of soda (coke, dr pepper) and one (small) jar of hot sauce -- Throw in the pot, cook on low for 8 hours. Remove the shoulder, shred with forks, put back in pot to mix with juices. Done.

You might notice a theme here =) Of course you can switch your meats, if you do chicken thighs instead of breasts you'll save a few bucks. You can throw an onion in, won't hurt nobody.

Pro-tip: Whenever a recipe says "add water to cover," you can ALWAYS use wine or (low sodium) stock.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Also if you do thighs instead of breasts you'll end up with a much more flavorful shredded chicken that doesn't feel like tough string

My pork butt recipe is as follows, I used to do bbq pulled pork but now I just make tacos with them (onion/cilantro/salt/lime on corn tortillas)

~2-3 lbs porkbutt
1-2 jalapenos, diced
1 medium onion, diced
4-6 cloves of garlics, I leave them whole because it just breaks down and gets mashed, you can chop or dice if you want
oregano (maybe a tsp? gently caress I don't know I never measure my spices, just kinda go with what works)
cumin
couple of tsp of salt (once again I'm hosed on measurements, wing it)
a few squirts of whataburger brand spicy ketchup OR a small can of tomato paste
a beer (I really prefer lagers for this, I don't like the dark stouts and stuff in it)
enough stock/water to cover the porkbutt

cook that poo poo on low for 8 hours, pull it out (seriously all of it, the onions and jalapenos too, just leave the juice in the crock pot), shred it, eat the gently caress out of it, and then use the juice in the crock pot for some kind of soup

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 24, 2016

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Pork for enchiladas:

2lbs-ish pork shoulder.
2 medium jars of green salsa (or one jar and a can of coke)
1 medium can of diced green chilis
1 white onion
Salt/pepper/cumin

On high for 1 to 2 hours, low for 4 to 6 hours or just low for as long as you're at work.

Remove the pork shoulder, pull it (you can cheat by using a hand mixer on low, especially handy when you're making a quad batch for 30+ family members) add salsa liquid until it's just a little leaky.

Ideally make enchiladas by getting a can of whole green chilis, about half of one covers the middle of a tortilla. Then pork, then a little cheese (cheddar is fine, cojita is great) and green enchilada sauce. And more cheese on top.

It's not super authentic but they're delicious and just as easy to make enough food for 30 as for 6.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Dr Cox MD posted:

Chicken breasts (however many you have) + Salsa to cover (usually two jars).

Ah, there it is.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
here is a favorite of mine:

• turn crockpot on high
  • fill water 3/4ths the way up
  • go actually loving cook food
  • use hot water as needed

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Crock pots can really only do one thing: Braise. This means that lean cuts of meat, such as chicken breast or pork tenderloin, are pretty well the worst to use. They only require a short cooking time, as there's no tissue to break down. Don't use them. Even cuts like shoulders or thighs are easy to overcook in a crock pot. They tend to be run for too long at too high a heat.

If you must crock pot a thing, find a decent braising recipe from a decent chef. Not AllRecipes or MyRecipes. Those places are inhabited by the ogres of the Mid-west who want and praise only the most flavourless mush. Be prepared to caramelise meat and vegetables, remove either before they're over cooked, use stock, booze and seasonings. Be near enough to the crock pot that you can test for doneness.

If what you want to do is dump frozen watery white meat in a pot, smother it in salt, sugar and corn syrup from a jar, bugger off for 10 hours and not have to think of cooking more than smooshing the dried out carcass into a tortilla, shaking desperate hot sauce everywhere and crushing it into your maw, then there's no good recipe for that.

Or make overnight oatmeal.,

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I have one and it gets used a good bit but the more I think about it all I use it for are:

Boiled peanuts
Corned beef
Greens
Chili

And yeah that's about it really.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

3 lbs of oxtail
1 lbs onion(white, red, shallot, whatever you've got)
1/2 lbs carrots
1/2 lbs celery
3 bay leaves
Bouquet garni (sage/rosemary/parsley)
Some peppercorns'

Throw everything in crock pot for 8-10 hours with water to 1/3rd or halfway up your ingredients. Put outside in the norwegian chill overnight. If it gets warm in daytime then you put it in your fridge in the morning. When you get home after commuting a total of 3 hours to bumfuck nowhere you remove the fat and proteins that have congealed on the top. Sometimes I pick the meat from the bones. Discard bones and reheat the crockpot for a few hours. Towards the end add garlic and fresh herbs.

Serve with potatoes. Value food. Loathe work.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Croatoan posted:

I have one and it gets used a good bit but the more I think about it all I use it for are:

Boiled peanuts

And yeah that's about it really.

go on.... :staredog:

e: to clarify I know and love boiled peanuts being from da souf, I just really want to know how you do them in the crock pot

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

But Not Tonight posted:

go on.... :staredog:

e: to clarify I know and love boiled peanuts being from da souf, I just really want to know how you do them in the crock pot

Super easy. Buy a bag of green peanuts and start them on low. Add salt or seasonings to taste. Come back about 16-24 hours later and they're done. Best part is when they cool I put them in ziplock quart bags and freeze them. That way I have boiled peanuts throughout the winter.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Stock

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Super easy. Buy a bag of green peanuts and start them on low. Add salt or seasonings to taste. Come back about 16-24 hours later and they're done. Best part is when they cool I put them in ziplock quart bags and freeze them. That way I have boiled peanuts throughout the winter.

I usually just do them in a pot the regular way but I think I'll probably try this for a much easier time. I had no idea that they freeze well, that's also good to know.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Can't say I've ever understood boiled peanuts.

"Hmm, these peanuts are salty and crunchy, two of my favorite characteristics...but gam-gam says that enjoying things too much is for sinners so I'd better boil them to remove the crunch."

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Boiled peanuts are pretty good, as long as you mentally divorce them from peanuts as a salty bar snack. They're like little tasty bites of semi-solid hummus.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
boiled peanuts are literally the best drinking snack ever

I don't even know why you'd eat peanuts roasted and salted. there are so many better nuts to eat that way - cashews, sunflower seeds, idk

I guess if you like the muddy peanutty flavor sure, roasted peanuts are alright

but boiled peanuts - done correctly (lots of salt, some cajun spice) - are the loving poo poo. chomp into a flaccid shell, squeeze out a rich nut right into your mouth, salty brine going all over the place. I mean goddamn. it's where it's at.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Carnitas

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

mindphlux posted:

boiled peanuts are literally the best drinking snack ever

I don't even know why you'd eat peanuts roasted and salted. there are so many better nuts to eat that way - cashews, sunflower seeds, idk

I guess if you like the muddy peanutty flavor sure, roasted peanuts are alright

but boiled peanuts - done correctly (lots of salt, some cajun spice) - are the loving poo poo. chomp into a flaccid shell, squeeze out a rich nut right into your mouth, salty brine going all over the place. I mean goddamn. it's where it's at.

:agreed: I probably use half a shaker of tony chachere's (MP's probably going to call me a loving idiot for this but it's easy enough "cajun seasoning" for me) and nosh the gently caress out of them after a few beers

literally the best beer snack ever and if you think they're gross you haven't had enough beer

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Dr Cox MD posted:

There are a few easy classics I lean on pretty heavily:

Chicken breasts (however many you have) + Salsa to cover (usually two jars) -- Throw in the pot, cook on low for 8 hours. Remove breasts from pot, shred with forks, put back in pot to mix with juices. Done.

GODDAMN gently caress!

You forgot the loving onion soup mix...

Goddamn... where is that suicide girl.. whatever the gently caress her name was...

That single loving recipe.. is..

it is...

It is disney characters in the streets wearing guns and shooting black babies with bullets made from crack cocaine while angerfucking cheeseburgers

Yes - that is what it is..

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Scientastic posted:

Boiled peanuts are pretty good, as long as you mentally divorce them from peanuts as a salty bar snack. They're like little tasty bites of semi-solid hummus.

Yeah, they're more like edamame. Goddamn I want some right now.

I found a super cheat crockpot dessert thing on facebook. It's the salsa chicken of dessert. Put canned fruit or fruit pie filling in there (Oregon tart cherries + cherry pie filling are great), then a box of white/vanilla cake mix, then some pats of softened butter and maybe nuts (slivered almonds) if you're of that persuasion. Then cook on low for a few hours and serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It's horribly sweet and makes you feel like you're eating pure crack.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Combine
1 large can of Campbell's tomato soup
An equal amount of milk
1 spoonful of chicken broth
2 spoonfulls of minced garlic

Mix those together and add a thin layer of your favorite spice blend.

Now add
1/2 to 2/3 of a large white onion, cut into thick slices and quartered
2 to 3 Yukon Gold variety potatoes, cut into eighths
2 stalks worth of chopped celery
4 strips of leftover bacon, cut into inch long slices. If you don't have any leftover bacon, prepare some before starting.

Cook on high for two hours then thaw some frozen peas and corn and mix them in.

Cook for another hour, then shake a bunch of powdered parmesan over the soup.

Cook for one more hour and serve.

SqueePower
May 25, 2006
tube
Soiled Meat
Dice/grate/mince whatever onion, garlic, ginger and an apple. Cube beef. Curry powder. Soy sauce, rice wine vinegar. Water or stock to cover. Low 7 hours. Prep potatoes and carrots, add for the last hour. Serve on rice topped with green onion.

SqueePower fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 2, 2016

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
3 lb chuck roast
2 cloves of garlic (slice the roast and insert them)
half bottle dry red wine (as cheap as you can get)
two beef bouillon cubes
half jar of pepperoncini
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil

cook on low for 8 hours hours or until it falls apart. Serve on hoagie rolls with provolone and pepperoncini.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Crock pot Cake!

Put into crock pot, in this order:

2 cans apple pie filling

1 box spice cake mix

2 sticks butter.

Do not mix ingredients. set on high for 2 hours. enjoy the gooey apple-crumbly goodness.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Aishlinn posted:

Crock pot Cake!

2 cans apple pie filling

1 box spice cake mix

2 sticks butter.

Do not mix ingredients. set on high for 2 hours. enjoy the gooey apple-crumbly goodness.

This terrifies me, both from a cleaning perspective and as a sin and shame.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Aishlinn posted:

Crock pot Cake!

2 cans apple pie filling

1 box spice cake mix

2 sticks butter.

do it

I want to see you do it

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Liquid Communism posted:

This terrifies me, both from a cleaning perspective and as a sin and shame.

Its really something you make for a party and everyone just has a little.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Reminds me of the pumpkin bars my mom makes. Pumpkin pie filling > yellow cake mix > walnuts > butter. Except those are baked, cooled, portioned and topped with a cream cheese icing.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Sweet Potato Chickpea Chili is great but it makes way way more than 1-2 people can reasonably eat so cut in in half except for the chilies. Also idk where the gently caress the author is shopping that one large sweet potato = 5 cups.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Sweet Potato Chickpea Chili is great but it makes way way more than 1-2 people can reasonably eat so cut in in half except for the chilies. Also idk where the gently caress the author is shopping that one large sweet potato = 5 cups.

She included seven pictures of the same bowl of mush. Not pictures showing process or stages, but seven pictures of the finished product. I detest her for that. Five pictures before you even reach the recipe, punctuating inane irrelevant babble. and It looks like it could well turn out to be a very very very very very very very bland sludge. One teaspoon of cumin, juice of half a lime not a suspicion of salt or pepper spread out amongst what'll be six pounds and more of mushy over cooked food.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Perhaps the half a can of peppers, or the 2 Tbsp of chili powder, could compensate for the lack of pepper -- which is likely why people are saying it's too spicy. Salt likely comes from the stock and high-sodium canned vegetables plus the 1 tsp of salt.

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Also idk where the gently caress the author is shopping that one large sweet potato = 5 cups.
Tons of air space if you're putting 2" cubes into a cup measure.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Anne Whateley posted:

Perhaps the half a can of peppers, or the 2 Tbsp of chili powder, could compensate for the lack of pepper -- which is likely why people are saying it's too spicy. Salt likely comes from the stock and high-sodium canned vegetables plus the 1 tsp of salt.

I missed the one single tiny teaspoon of salt. Half a cup of stock is barely a piss in the ocean. Won't make any difference when fighting the tomato juice and tomato paste. Won't add a jot of flavour. Sure, there's some salt from all the canned stuff. But what there isn't is an instruction to taste the stuff. Because it might still need salt, fresh ground pepper differs to chilli peppers (and people saying something's too spicy indicates nothing about seasoning, just their own preferences). The lime juice should be added to taste, just like salt and pepper. It looks to me like a very bad recipe, that exemplifies a perennial problem with crockpots. Setting and forgetting ends up with mush. Just dumping stuff from cans in to a crockpot does not good food make.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I think I didn't have problems with the seasoning because I used the whole can of peppers, and it didn't occur to me not to go a bit heavy on the spices Also looking at my cans, I never realized how much salt was in a can of tomatoes, that's insane. :wtc:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
also one thing I very much object to about people who legitimize crock pots and frumpy lowest common denominator recipies -

"it's good/easy for a party/having company!"

as if having other people over is a time when you should slack off and take it easy. I mean, as a host, you are hosting. you should go above and beyond your normal capacity to cook to the best of your ability, clean, entertain, make your guests at home.

you don't loving pour slop into a warming bucket and go 'eh, they ain't payin for it;;;; gently caress'em!!'

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
well if you actually like your friends anyways, and want them to want to come back to your house...

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Crock pots are for the days when even putting on pajama bottoms to go to the store is a challenge.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Aishlinn posted:

Crock pot Cake!

2 cans apple pie filling

1 box spice cake mix

2 sticks butter.

I already posted that but with cherry which is way the gently caress better. And not spice cake /barf. I also sincerely believe 1 stick of butter is maximum, because holy poo poo.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Chicken tinga.

Sweat a finely diced onion in a skillet for about ten minutes. Add six minced cloves of garlic in the last two minutes or so. Meanwhile, on another burner, roast two tomatoes and three or four tomatillos over the fire until charred all over. Add it all to the crockpot, plus two chipotles in adobo, a couple teaspoons of the adobo sauce, a tablespoon of dried mexican oregano, two bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste, and the juice of a lime. Blitz with a hand blender until mostly, but not completely, smooth. Set six skinless chicken thighs down in the sauce, add just enough water until the sauce comes 2/3 up the sides of the chicken. Cook on high for six hours with the lid cracked, or until the chicken shreds easily. Shred and add back to the sauce. Serve on tortillas with cilantro and fresh diced onion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
1 (32 oz) jar of grape jelly
2 (12 oz) jars of Heinz chili sauce
3 lbs of cooked meatballs

I swear by this recipe. I know it sounds weird but google it and check out people's reviews if you don't believe me. This makes a meatball sauce that might as well be crack.

Heat the jelly and Heinz in your pot until the sauce dissolves, add meatballs. That simple.

• Locked thread