Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BedBuglet posted:

1 (32 oz) jar of grape jelly
2 (12 oz) jars of Heinz chili sauce
3 lbs of cooked meatballs

I swear by this recipe. I know it sounds weird but google it and check out people's reviews if you don't believe me. This makes a meatball sauce that might as well be crack.

Heat the jelly and Heinz in your pot until the sauce dissolves, add meatballs. That simple.

Ha, gently caress that effort, you can just dump the meatballs in, pour the sauce and jelly over them, turn it on, and stir to combine when it's warm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ha, gently caress that effort, you can just pour jars of sauce into your mouth and eat raw meatballs

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
dump a jar of jelly on the floor and eat the meatballs off of the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

MorgaineDax posted:

like a animal

Thank you for this.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

rndmnmbr posted:

Chicken tinga.

Sweat a finely diced onion in a skillet for about ten minutes. Add six minced cloves of garlic in the last two minutes or so. Meanwhile, on another burner, roast two tomatoes and three or four tomatillos over the fire until charred all over. Add it all to the crockpot, plus two chipotles in adobo, a couple teaspoons of the adobo sauce, a tablespoon of dried mexican oregano, two bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste, and the juice of a lime. Blitz with a hand blender until mostly, but not completely, smooth. Set six skinless chicken thighs down in the sauce, add just enough water until the sauce comes 2/3 up the sides of the chicken. Cook on high for six hours with the lid cracked, or until the chicken shreds easily. Shred and add back to the sauce. Serve on tortillas with cilantro and fresh diced onion.

That sounds dope.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit

MorgaineDax posted:

dump a jar of jelly on the floor and eat the meatballs off of the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo

Or just rub raw meat and jelly all over your body like a pig wallowing in filth. That works too.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

also one thing I very much object to about people who legitimize crock pots and frumpy lowest common denominator recipies
My crock pot gets two uses: food days at work when people will be grazing all day long and days when my personal life leaves me too busy to actually cook anything, but i know i won't want to eat out. Generally the latter occurs only due to my child's extra curricular activities.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
:siren: A 2008 GWS thread about slowcookers got goldmined :siren:

I use mine for beef stew on weekdays for the reasons the guy above me posted. Recipe's a variation on one posted in that thread.

1 lb stew meat
2 large potatoes, peeled & chopped
3 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
2 cans' worth beef broth (sometimes I replace one can with a can of beef consomme, because yolo)
3 cloves garlic
2 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp sage
1 tsp dry mustard
1 bay leaf
Several dashes Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water mix (as needed to thicken)

Directions:

Brown the stew meat in a skillet over medium-high heat. Remove & add to crock pot. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add olive oil, garlic, onion and cook until onion is clear. Add to crock pot. Add remaining ingredients to crock pot and cook 6 hours over low heat.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 7, 2016

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I'm thinking about making some pulled pork overnight in my slow cooker and then in the morning tossing a bunch of other ingredients to make something like pulled pork chili. Any recommendations for this sort of thing? I see a lot of recipes that involve cooking the pork in beer or root beer or cola, but I don't know if those are suited to this kind of operation.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Perry Normal posted:

I'm thinking about making some pulled pork overnight in my slow cooker and then in the morning tossing a bunch of other ingredients to make something like pulled pork chili. Any recommendations for this sort of thing? I see a lot of recipes that involve cooking the pork in beer or root beer or cola, but I don't know if those are suited to this kind of operation.
Whether using a slow cooker or in a stock pot, you can't go wrong substituting a light beer for water.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So that one post on the first page regarding boneless country style pork ribs is bunk or something? Aren't ribs slow cooked anyway? I'm confused, I thought this forum had a massive erection for slow cookers.

If crock pots aren't good for making food, what are they useful for? I've successfully(?) made beef pot roast in mine so I'm not convinced it's totally useless, but I lack opinions of my own, so maybe I'm wrong.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Pulled pork chili actually turned out very good. Lots of spice, I put a ton of peppers in there. After 16 hours total cooking the pork was almost liquid, but very tasty.

adorai posted:

Whether using a slow cooker or in a stock pot, you can't go wrong substituting a light beer for water.

I picked up a bottle of Guinness Draught before seeing this post. I'll try some lighter beer in the future but this worked pretty well.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Pollyanna posted:

So that one post on the first page regarding boneless country style pork ribs is bunk or something? Aren't ribs slow cooked anyway? I'm confused, I thought this forum had a massive erection for slow cookers.

If crock pots aren't good for making food, what are they useful for? I've successfully(?) made beef pot roast in mine so I'm not convinced it's totally useless, but I lack opinions of my own, so maybe I'm wrong.

SA has a boner for crockpots because it is full of whiny, lazy manchildren. GWS is not a fan of crockpots because we actually have standards about food.

Crockpots are good for one thing: braising. So stews, pot roast, stuff with tough cuts of meat that need a lot of cooking time to become tender. That's it. Things that will turn out like total poo poo in a crockpot: lasagne, cake, bread, "stir fry," chicken breasts for 8 hours, "fajitas," anything with canned cream soup or packets of onion soup mix, just about any green vegetable cooked for longer than 30 minutes, etc.

I use mine more than most people here probably, and then it's only for generic pulled pork, shredded beef for sandwiches, sometimes beef stew (though it's infinitely better in the oven), Sunday gravy. Also for keeping stuff hot for potlucks/parties.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Things that will turn out like total poo poo in a crockpot: ... anything with canned cream soup or packets of onion soup mix

I'll chime in and add jars of salsa (with 8 hour chicken breast).

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ranter posted:

I'll chime in and add jars of salsa (with 8 hour chicken breast).

Yes, "salsa chicken" with jarred crap and chicken breasts cooked for 8 hours is terrible. But, you can make something tasty with chicken thighs, cooked until they just shred (usually just a couple hours at most, depends on your crockpot though) with things like fresh veg, chipotles, dried chiles, etc. I've done it with a roasted tomatillo, pasilla and morita salsa I can and it's delicious. As usual, you just have to use good ingredients and not cook it to death. But those are the rules for everything in the crockpot.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

1) Pork shoulder.
2) Season it all over with Chachere's. Then rub some oil on it. Sear in a hot hot cast iron skillet, about four minutes a side.
3) Put in slow cooker. Pour two High Lifes (or something like that) over the meat. Cover, cook on low for 6-8 hours.
4) All in a jar: cup white vinegar, cup cider vinegar, tablespoons of brown sugar and cayenne, few pinches of salt and pepper, some splashes of hot sauce. Put the lid on, shake. (There will be extra.)
5) When 8 hours is up, take the pork out, drain the beer, get rid of the biggest fat pieces and bone, put back in the slow cooker, shred with forks.
6) Combine that sauce with the meat to taste.
7) Serve on potato rolls.

Kind of my summer thing.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 11, 2016

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pollyanna posted:

crock pots are great at making food! I love food! here is a list of some things that are food :

• precooked walmart packet of short grain uncle bens white rice
  • Doritos
  • spam
  • a can of beans
  • stoffers chicken pot pie
  • hormel beef roast soup
  • some chicken breasts in a slow cooker with pace pecante sauce poured over them
  • boneless country style pork ribs or something that are slow cooked in a slow cooker because you COOK ribs SLOWLY right???

here is a list of other things that are food!

• a salad
  • lightly grilled salmon
  • chicken soup (not out of a can)
  • a quiche
  • lentil salad
  • lamb kofte
  • fried eggs
  • shimp dumplings
  • SOME RIBS YOU ACTUALLY BRINE, DRY RUB, AND LABORIOUSLY SMOKE OVER HARDWOOD (NOT GODDAMNED CHARCOAL) FOR 9 HOURS BECAUSE ITS loving BARBECUE AND YOU DON'T poo poo ON HUNDREDS OF YEARS OF TRADITION AND loving SPIT IN THE POPE'S FACE WHEN HE GREETS YOU, HANDS YOU A DEAD PIG'S CARCASS, SAYS "SON, THIS ANIMAL DIED FOR YOUR SINS, AND I TRUST YOU TO DO THE RIGHT THING, NOT STICK IT IN A loving CROCK POT AND SHRUG AND GO WATCH NET FLICKS EPISODES OF MEAN BOYS WHILE JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF THE GUY/GIRL WHO DUMPED YOU IN 4TH GRADE, PLEASE PROMISE ME IF YOU DO NOTHING ELSE YOU WILL AT LEAST DO THIS AND TREAT THIS ANIMAL CARCASS I HAVE ENDOWED YOU WITH AS A LABOR OF LOVE"

but yeah slow cookers are great at making food. :) :) :)

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

mindphlux posted:

crock pots are great at making food! I love food! here is a list of some things that are food :

• precooked walmart packet of short grain uncle bens white rice
  • Doritos
  • spam
  • a can of beans
  • stoffers chicken pot pie
  • hormel beef roast soup
  • some chicken breasts in a slow cooker with pace pecante sauce poured over them
  • boneless country style pork ribs or something that are slow cooked in a slow cooker because you COOK ribs SLOWLY right???

here is a list of other things that are food!

• a salad
  • lightly grilled salmon
  • chicken soup (not out of a can)
  • a quiche
  • lentil salad
  • lamb kofte
  • fried eggs
  • shimp dumplings
  • SOME RIBS YOU ACTUALLY BRINE, DRY RUB, AND LABORIOUSLY SMOKE OVER HARDWOOD (NOT GODDAMNED CHARCOAL) FOR 9 HOURS BECAUSE ITS loving BARBECUE AND YOU DON'T poo poo ON HUNDREDS OF YEARS OF TRADITION AND loving SPIT IN THE POPE'S FACE WHEN HE GREETS YOU, HANDS YOU A DEAD PIG'S CARCASS, SAYS "SON, THIS ANIMAL DIED FOR YOUR SINS, AND I TRUST YOU TO DO THE RIGHT THING, NOT STICK IT IN A loving CROCK POT AND SHRUG AND GO WATCH NET FLICKS EPISODES OF MEAN BOYS WHILE JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF THE GUY/GIRL WHO DUMPED YOU IN 4TH GRADE, PLEASE PROMISE ME IF YOU DO NOTHING ELSE YOU WILL AT LEAST DO THIS AND TREAT THIS ANIMAL CARCASS I HAVE ENDOWED YOU WITH AS A LABOR OF LOVE"

but yeah slow cookers are great at making food. :) :) :)

god drat :thurman:

mindphlux you're my culinary hero

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
For gently caress's sake. Crockpot hate is a remnant of old GWS snobbery, because it's associated with mommies and not big tough smart chefs.

The slow cooker is a tool like any other. There are things it does well and things it doesn't do well. There are plenty of good recipes you can make with it, and like literally any other tool, the internet supplies a vast number of terrible, inappropriate, or downright weird recipes too.

Know who uses a crockpot?

- Food nerd god J. Kenji Lopez-Alt
- Meathead Goldwyn of amazingribs.com and recipient of a million barbecue blowjobs
- ATK has 3 books wholly based on it
- about a million other people doing sous vide, because it only needs a small temperature controller to be a SV rig

If you're auditioning to stage in a Michelin-starred kitchen, don't bring your crockpot. If you want a hot meal waiting on a cold rainy day, go ahead and use your crockpot.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Anne Whateley posted:

The slow cooker is a tool like any other. There are things it does well and things it doesn't do well. There are plenty of good recipes you can make with it

Can you list 3 that haven't already been shared ITT? Anything you are cooking in a crock pot can just be done on the stove or in the oven with a pot or dutch oven. I can even save the number of dishes I create by browning the beef chuck in my dutch oven prior to braising it for pot roast; -1 thing to wash.

As already pointed out, it's a tool for keeping food warm at potlucks.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 13, 2016

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Ranter posted:

Can you list 3 that haven't already been shared ITT?
I recommend googling any of these things + "slow cooker"

Anne Whateley posted:

- Food nerd god J. Kenji Lopez-Alt
- Meathead Goldwyn of amazingribs.com and recipient of a million barbecue blowjobs
- ATK has 3 books wholly based on it

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Go ahead and share the ones you think require a crock pot. The first result for Kenji was making tomato sauce in a dutch oven.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I didn't say that anything requires it, just that things can be done well in it. Same as a nonstick pan, Dutch oven, etc. If you don't want to own a slow cooker, don't, but it's not like anything that comes out of one is automatically pig swill.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i didn't know you could be so uppity about a cooking instrument jesus loving christ

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BedBuglet posted:

1 (32 oz) jar of grape jelly
2 (12 oz) jars of Heinz chili sauce
3 lbs of cooked meatballs

I swear by this recipe. I know it sounds weird but google it and check out people's reviews if you don't believe me. This makes a meatball sauce that might as well be crack.

Heat the jelly and Heinz in your pot until the sauce dissolves, add meatballs. That simple.

I can't believe this is real. I have to try it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
That meatball recipe is not as good as he makes it out to be but it's also nowhere near as repulsive as it sounds

My coworker made them one time and just called them "party meatballs" and I think he said the recipe comes from the jar of chili sauce iirc

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I can't believe this is real. I have to try it.
it tastes good because of the half a kilo of sugar from the jelly, 120 grams from the chili sauce and 480% of your daily sodium.

2100 cals from the Jelly, 800 from he Chili sauce

Shitttttt

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i might well spit in the popes face

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

it tastes good because of the half a kilo of sugar from the jelly, 120 grams from the chili sauce and 480% of your daily sodium.

Shitttttt
It's also a bad idea to eat 5.75 lbs of food!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it's a bad idea regardless of how much of it you eat

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Totally agreed, but it's dumb to clutch your pearls about those stats in any recipe that makes 30+ servings.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mr. Wookums posted:

Shitttttt

Um I'm going to replace the chili sauce with stubs BBQ sauce.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

Um I'm going to replace the chili sauce with stubs BBQ sauce.

Don't, the chili sauce plus the sugar from the grape jelly makes it as sweet as a commercial BBQ sauce, but not SUPER cloying. Grape jelly plus BBQ sauce would be waaaaaaaaay too sweet.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Finer points of grape jelly weenies itt

Little_Viking
Aug 23, 2007
Raiding Lindisfarne since 793AD.
I'm a huge fan of this recipie

http://damndelicious.net/2015/02/21/slow-cooker-korean-beef/

you can make quesadillas, or if you feel extra low effort, make some rice in a rice cooker and mix it up or with a salad.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jesus. gently caress me for asking. I feel like GWS would be good enough to use a cooking implement to a standard higher than typical goonery, but maybe I expect too much from it.

Jangjorim in a slow cooker makes sense, at least. I think I'll try this out.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 15, 2016

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.

Kumbamontu posted:

i didn't know you could be so uppity about a cooking instrument jesus loving christ

lol its amazing

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
A crock pot heats an enclosed ceramic bowl to a low temperature, for a prolonged period of time. Crock pots are great at that.

What I was attempting to get at is : there are not many parts of cooking for which 'a ceramic bowl at a low prolonged temperature' benefits any recipe or process.

braises are good examples of a process that might benefit re: ease of use, but for a good braise, you should be browning your meat before braising, so it makes much more sense to use a dutch oven or cast iron or something you can crank heat on for the browning process. otherwise you are dirtying a pan just to scrape it off and deglaze into a crock pot - which totally defeats the "ease of use" or whatever that a crockpot promises.

you can also just dump a bunch of raw ground beef and canned tomatoes into a crockpot, and end up with a grey bland mass of something on par with a processed can of soup, but why bother even cooking? canned stews taste great! and take 1/10th the effort!

not at all uppity, just don't want to see my fellow goons spending 45 minutes of their valuable time dumping poo poo in a crockpot, when they could just be opening a can and tucking right in to a delicious meal.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 15, 2016

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I make chili in my crock pot and it turns out awesome

Also i imagine using a dutch oven in an oven for hours heats up your house and uses much more power than a crock pot does. I do not want my oven on for several hours in the middle of the day in Florida because my AC is already working too hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kumbamontu posted:

I make chili in my crock pot and it turns out awesome

Also i imagine using a dutch oven in an oven for hours heats up your house and uses much more power than a crock pot does. I do not want my oven on for several hours in the middle of the day in Florida because my AC is already working too hard
If you're that concerned about residual heat get a non venting pressure cooker.

• Locked thread