Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Perhaps the half a can of peppers, or the 2 Tbsp of chili powder, could compensate for the lack of pepper -- which is likely why people are saying it's too spicy. Salt likely comes from the stock and high-sodium canned vegetables plus the 1 tsp of salt.

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Also idk where the gently caress the author is shopping that one large sweet potato = 5 cups.
Tons of air space if you're putting 2" cubes into a cup measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
For gently caress's sake. Crockpot hate is a remnant of old GWS snobbery, because it's associated with mommies and not big tough smart chefs.

The slow cooker is a tool like any other. There are things it does well and things it doesn't do well. There are plenty of good recipes you can make with it, and like literally any other tool, the internet supplies a vast number of terrible, inappropriate, or downright weird recipes too.

Know who uses a crockpot?

- Food nerd god J. Kenji Lopez-Alt
- Meathead Goldwyn of amazingribs.com and recipient of a million barbecue blowjobs
- ATK has 3 books wholly based on it
- about a million other people doing sous vide, because it only needs a small temperature controller to be a SV rig

If you're auditioning to stage in a Michelin-starred kitchen, don't bring your crockpot. If you want a hot meal waiting on a cold rainy day, go ahead and use your crockpot.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Ranter posted:

Can you list 3 that haven't already been shared ITT?
I recommend googling any of these things + "slow cooker"

Anne Whateley posted:

- Food nerd god J. Kenji Lopez-Alt
- Meathead Goldwyn of amazingribs.com and recipient of a million barbecue blowjobs
- ATK has 3 books wholly based on it

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I didn't say that anything requires it, just that things can be done well in it. Same as a nonstick pan, Dutch oven, etc. If you don't want to own a slow cooker, don't, but it's not like anything that comes out of one is automatically pig swill.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

it tastes good because of the half a kilo of sugar from the jelly, 120 grams from the chili sauce and 480% of your daily sodium.

2100 cals from the Jelly, 800 from he Chili sauce

Shitttttt
It's also a bad idea to eat 5.75 lbs of food!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Totally agreed, but it's dumb to clutch your pearls about those stats in any recipe that makes 30+ servings.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Encouraging people to aim high is great, but it's really different from making GBS threads on common tools that aren't up to the appropriate food snob level.

Even for people who can cook, most of the time you have other poo poo going on, like jobs that don't feed you, families, housework, and even other interests. Most of the time you're going to be cooking to eat rather than to pursue your craft. I like upping my game on the weekends, but I still have to eat the other five nights of the week. Sure, you can make fast meals, but you can only eat so many eggs, and when you come in late on a cold gross day it's really nice to have a hot, healthy, filling dinner ready to go.

Tl;dr the choice isn't usually between crock pot stew and pâté; the choice is usually between crock pot stew and Hungry Man or McDonalds. If you want people to choose the healthy home-cooked version, don't poo poo on it. There are a lot of bad crock pot recipes out there, but we should be trying to direct people to good recipes, not pointing and laughing at them for trying.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you enjoy it, knock yourself out. If you have the option, a pork shoulder would be much better for the crock pot, and the loin could be sous vided or reverse seared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't think it was the liquid. You can cook pork shoulders with no liquid and get tender results. Can you find out the temp of that setting? I don't know about "instant pots."

• Locked thread