Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

As a recovering vegetarian, chicken is the most daunting meat for me to cook and handle because I'm always terrified of not cooking it enough. I actually like the shredded texture the slow cooker gives chicken, and I like it because I'm like :byodame: IT'S SAFE TO EAT!!!!!!!!!!
It's pretty rare to get sick off chicken if you actually try to cook it at all, and believe me I've eaten so horrifically undercooked chicken.

All you really need to do is check the meat close to the bone - if it's still oozing red, it's possibly undercooked.

I mean I err on the side of caution however I've also eaten a lot of badly cooked chicken (half frozen thighs tossed onto a BBQ kind of undercooked) and never gotten ill in my entire life from it.

But chicken is still gross and dirty, and if you put it in a crock it will be fully cooked because you are aiming for that "falls apart into meat fibers" texture if you put chicken into a crockpot (some bbq and mustard etc makes for some wicked pulled chicken sandwich meat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Thank you for letting me peep these chickentips!

I err on the side of extreme caution because a) I am idiot as explained above, and b) Since I live in China, I'm extremely wary about food safety in my house (because there isn't much I can do outside the house.) So far, I've only had food poisoning twice, and once was my fault, so I feel like I'm doing okay.

This ooks me less than chicken breasts out of the package. Dunno why. :stare: But I agree, roasting a whole chicken is the greatest thing ever and they really should have taught me that in Home Ec, rather than how to make doughnuts or whatever stupid poo poo we did.
I feel ya there. Chicken is kind of an all-or-nothing proposition in a slow cooker though - either you're around to watch it and take it out, or it's going to be meat fibers which you'll probably wanna mush into some sauce or something. Thighs have a ton of bones and fat in them as well, which means the meat will be juicer, more flavorfull, and if you save the bones you can make stock!

• Locked thread