Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I have a slow cooker (admittedly I only use it for stock) and my wife uses it a lot. Because she has to look after the kids during the day: you can quickly prepare an alright meal from fresh ingredients and leave things in it for a long period of time and go out to the park/museum/zoo, which you can't really do with the oven, and definitely can't do on the hob.

I understand that it's not haute cuisine, but being a dick to people who are trying to cook food instead of buying ready meals is loving idiotic snobbery. Yes, salsa chicken is poo poo, but I fully support people in their efforts to become less reliant on pre-prepared food, and if that means starting off with a slow cooker, then so be it.

If you don't have the time, inclination or skill to do everything from scratch, slow cookers can be a good way to make better meals. The slow cooker recipe book we have has some actually good foods in it, and to be a dick about it misses the point.

Don't like slow cookers, just gently caress off and ignore the thread. I don't like knife-wanker you, so I don't post in the knife-wanker you thread, I don't poo poo it up with ill-informed opinions that no-one cares about.

I agree with this post, and I also champion slow cookers as a gateway cooking utensil. I started learning to cook from Goons With Spoons from the chili thread five years back, because I knew it was something I liked that I couldn't gently caress up with a slow cooker. That led to me refining my chili recipe to include homemade chili powder. Then, once I figured out I could make my own chili powder, I figured out I could cook almost anything at home. We don't use the slow cooker a ton any more, but it got me cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
The whole argument is a bit silly because it's different strokes for different folks. I had car trouble a couple months ago and my girlfriend basically moved in to help me get to and from work while we sorted out the car situation. Then my grandfather died 1400 miles away and I had to fly back and deal with that. In the meantime, we haven't been able to replace my car because of scheduling issues and I quickly had to learn to cook for two on an intensely variable schedule. Hell, I just bought a pressure cooker to help speed up the process. I was straight up on mindphlux's side while I was just cooking for myself, but after several weeknights of just, "gently caress, make something edible," that slow cooker was looking good to me.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I wasn't even a contributor during Whirled Peas but please god don't ever bring that back.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Croatoan posted:

Mindphlux is a dick. That's his thing. Please ignore him.

I can't believe I've been following goons with spoons for this long now, but no one should ignore mindphlux for the simple fact that he challenged bartolimu to a cook off to defend his right to not use punctuation and capital letters in the general chat thread and won:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485340

Happy hat's voting thread was pretty great too:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485600

Cracked me up way back when. Call out threads are the best.

Back to crock talk.

• Locked thread