Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Two questions from a newbie to the world of slow cooking

1) I have a new instant pot that I believe can do both slow cooking and pressure cooking. Is there anything I should be aware of when trying to convert a slow cooking recipe to a pressure cooking one? My guess is that pressure cooking will retail more liquid so I will cut down on the stock a bit.

2) What is the danger of overcooking pork shoulder? I've been googling around a bit and have seen wildly varying times recommend for cooking on low for the standard ginger ale recipe. Some recommend 8 hours on low, others 12 hours on low, others 12 hours on low + another 4-6 hours after shredding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Update: I seared a 2 lb pork shoulder for 3 minutes each side using the sauté setting and slow cooked it with an onion and a cup of ginger ale for 8 hours. Was still tough as hell. I finished it with 20 minutes on high pressure and it came out alright though. Maybe the instant pot low slow cook setting is just really low?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

But Not Tonight posted:

Pretty sure the lack of liquid is what did it. 1 cup of liquid is not enough to braise a 2 pound pork butt.

That's surprising. The recipe warned against "drowning" the pork although it did call for a 5 lb instead of the 2 I used. At the end of the 8 hours there wasn't much liquid but it was practically drowning after I pressure cooked it. I'll try it with more liquid next time and see how it turns out.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't think it was the liquid. You can cook pork shoulders with no liquid and get tender results. Can you find out the temp of that setting? I don't know about "instant pots."

Didn't measure it myself but google says:

Less mode: 88-94°C/190~201°F (Low in a common slow cooker)

And just for fun the other two settings:

Normal mode: 90~96°C/194~205°F (Medium in a common slow cooker)
More mode: 93~99°C/199~210°F (High in a common slow cooker)

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I have an instant pot and the bones from a costco rotisserie chicken. How much water should I use to make a stock?

• Locked thread