Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Scientastic posted:

Boiled peanuts are pretty good, as long as you mentally divorce them from peanuts as a salty bar snack. They're like little tasty bites of semi-solid hummus.

Yeah, they're more like edamame. Goddamn I want some right now.

I found a super cheat crockpot dessert thing on facebook. It's the salsa chicken of dessert. Put canned fruit or fruit pie filling in there (Oregon tart cherries + cherry pie filling are great), then a box of white/vanilla cake mix, then some pats of softened butter and maybe nuts (slivered almonds) if you're of that persuasion. Then cook on low for a few hours and serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It's horribly sweet and makes you feel like you're eating pure crack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Aishlinn posted:

Crock pot Cake!

Put into crock pot, in this order:

2 cans apple pie filling

1 box spice cake mix

2 sticks butter.

Do not mix ingredients. set on high for 2 hours. enjoy the gooey apple-crumbly goodness.

I already posted that but with cherry which is way the gently caress better. And not spice cake /barf. I also sincerely believe 1 stick of butter is maximum, because holy poo poo.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

mindphlux posted:

A crock pot heats an enclosed ceramic bowl to a low temperature, for a prolonged period of time. Crock pots are great at that.

What I was attempting to get at is : there are not many parts of cooking for which 'a ceramic bowl at a low prolonged temperature' benefits any recipe or process.

braises are good examples of a process that might benefit re: ease of use, but for a good braise, you should be browning your meat before braising, so it makes much more sense to use a dutch oven or cast iron or something you can crank heat on for the browning process. otherwise you are dirtying a pan just to scrape it off and deglaze into a crock pot - which totally defeats the "ease of use" or whatever that a crockpot promises.

you can also just dump a bunch of raw ground beef and canned tomatoes into a crockpot, and end up with a grey bland mass of something on par with a processed can of soup, but why bother even cooking? canned stews taste great! and take 1/10th the effort!

not at all uppity, just don't want to see my fellow goons spending 45 minutes of their valuable time dumping poo poo in a crockpot, when they could just be opening a can and tucking right in to a delicious meal.

My slow cooker has a sear mode. :downs:

In addition, I hope you are aware that people can brown things AND THEN put them into slow cookers, right???

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

OMG it's almost blueberry season!!! This is the best breakfast/all day thing:

Ingredients
3 Tbsp Melted Butter
1 Cup Oats
1 Cup Cream of Wheat (or malt-o-meal), uncooked
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Egg Slightly Beaten
1 Cup Milk
¼ Cup Oil (I like melted coconut oil or sunflower oil)
1 t vanilla
1 T Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
2 Cups Blueberries
¼ Cup Chopped Walnuts (or any nuts really), optional

Instructions
Mix all ingredients in the crockpot except blueberries and nuts.Fold in blueberries and nuts. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or high for 1½ -2 hours or until the "casserole" sets. Serve warm.

Sometimes I sub almond flour for some of the flour (maybe 1/3 cup) and it becomes richer and a little denser. Also, using malt-o-meal instead of cream of wheat will give it a more complex flavor.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Ranter posted:

I hope you are aware that you didn't read his post, right???

The lack of capitalization makes it hard sometimes to read the entirety of his posts. :colbert: But yes, I see the "ease of use" BS argument now.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

mindphlux posted:

great, keep us updated about how hard it is for you to read and comprehend words.

This post sucked because you didn't complain more about how much slow cookers are ruining cooking.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I have a chicken tortilla soup cooking in my slow cooker today while my husband and I are both at work. Now we can have delicious dinner and don't have to worry about the house having burned down and killed our cat while soup cooks all day on a weekday while we're not home.

Maybe I post recipe. It's super lazy.

1 lb frozen chicken parts
1 quart chicken stock
8 oz green enchilada sauce
diced tomatoes (however much you want, canned or not IDFC)
1 can black beans (optional, drained and rinsed)
frozen corn (optional)
frozen fire-roasted onions & peppers (optional)
corn tortillas or tortilla chip crumbs or masa harina

Put chicken, stock, and sauce in pot and cook on low all day while your house doesn't burn down and kill your cat. When you get home from a relatively stressful day of regulatory shenanigans and helping corporate assholes just barely slide under environmental thresholds as your soul slowly dies, remove the bones if your parts had them and then shred the chicken. Add the rest of the poo poo except the tortillas or masa. Let it cook for another 30-ish minutes. Right before serving, thicken the soup with cut up tortillas or chip crumbs or pull out some of the liquid and mix it with the masa and then add it back in to the soup. Top with cilantro and a lime wedge and maybe some queso fresco or something. Avocado slices would be good.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

adorai posted:

I'm not sure about the lime, but if it was regular bud light, sure. It wouldn't hurt, and might help. Only downside is bud light is $0.50/can.

gently caress all of that. Use a Guinness.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

rndmnmbr posted:

Time for Whirled Peas again?

Honestly, shouldn't it always be Whirled Peas in GWS since we can't seem to be maintain a semi-welcoming subforum without it?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Gaz2k21 posted:

Okay, I've got a quick question....

I roasted a chicken and used the carcass to make a chicken stock, is there anything easy and relatively healthy I can use the stock for that I can cook in my slow cooker?
Any recipe reccomendations?

Yes, I posted a recipe already for chicken tortilla soup.

You could also make lentil soup or any number of bean soups with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Keetron posted:

However, being from Europe, there was no chili powder available here or I was being directed to chili-pepper powder and I had a feeling that in this quantity that would be a bad idea.

Do you have access to dried chile peppers? Because that's basically all you need for enchilada sauce. You take the seeds & stems out, simmer them in stock until soft, and then puree (you can then add crema or sour cream for yum... and onions/garlic, etc.). Btw, enchilada just means "to enrobe in chile." :D

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 12, 2016

• Locked thread