Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
MrSlam's Overnight Counterintuitive Oatmeal

1 cup steel cut oats
2 cup water
1 cup half 'n half
Brown sugar
Cinnamon
Honey

Mix in slow-cooker or a crockpot on the stove over a burner set to low. Cover. Wait 8 hours. You get to choose the brown sugar/cinnamon/honey amounts, but I'm a horrible person so I dump far too much in there. Sure you can flavor it after it's done cooking, or you can not be a pussy about it and just dump it in.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

Tl;dr the choice isn't usually between crock pot stew and pâté; the choice is usually between crock pot stew and Hungry Man or McDonalds.

I can vouch for this. I don't think I've ever cooked a meal everyday for a full week before because I'm not as cool and handsome and rich and successful as Mindphlux, but when I do find the time to cook it's nice to know I can toss a bunch of stuff in a heating implement and let it sit. Since the invention of the pot, that's been about half of what cooking is. If I can make toast with a hair dryer and it still tastes like toast I'm not gonna judge the toast for not being cooked in a toaster.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 22, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I'm going through my grandma's index card recipe box and there's bunches of crockpot recipes in there. But looking at it all I think I'll post the entire collection in its own thread when I'm done transferring it digitally. Here's a sample:

Crockpot Pork Roast [from June Rick's (my great grandma's) recipes]

4lb Pork Loin Roast Pork Shoulder
16oz jellied cranberry sauce
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbs brown mustard
2 tbs cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 tsp salt

Place roast shoulder in crockpot. Mix cranberry sauce, apple juice, sugar, and mustard and pour over roast shoulder. Cook on low 7-8 5-6 hours. Remove roast shoulder from crock pot. Mix cornstarch, water, and salt to pan drippings and stir over high heat until thickened. Serve sauce over sliced pork. Also good on mashed potatoes.

June used to be in charge of the kitchen up at Rick's college (now BYU-Idaho). A number of the recipes in the collection are hers, but other recipes included are my grandma's own recipes, recipes shared with her from various housewives grandma hung out with, family-friends and relatives, recipes from newspapers she read, etc. It's kind of a snapshot of 1950's/60's/70's home cooking.

If you wanted to make a casserole that included a can of mushroom soup, grandma's your man.

edit: because drat it grandma! Nobody likes dry pork but you!

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 26, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

If you google 'crockpot pork loin' you'll get a ton of recipes so I guess not? I mean, it's not a sin or anything but if it were me I'd brown it first. That might've been implied though.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 26, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

At least my great grandma, grandma, dad, and 20 search engine pages worth of results have tried it. And I remember eating it, and it tasted good and moist so...:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

If you enjoy it, knock yourself out. If you have the option, a pork shoulder would be much better for the crock pot, and the loin could be sous vided or reverse seared.

I just asked my dad who told me when he cooked it for us it was 2-3 hours on a low setting in the oven, but he'd recommend changing it to pork shoulder as well and keeping the hours at 5-6. I asked him why grandma cooked tenderloin that way and he said there was a health-scare involving pork (trichinosis) while she was alive so she purposefully overcooked it just in case. Also, she apparently liked it that way. His words. Thanks grandma! I owe Cavenagh and Ranter apologies now.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 26, 2016

• Locked thread