Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I bought a six-liter slow cooker recently, after marathoning the Blue Story thread. I do feel a bit guilty for using a shortcut, but it's going to save my life on days when I don't get home until after seven. It's nice sitting down to a hot meal that I don't have to cook after a twelve-hour day.

Vaguely Moroccan Chicken Stew (apologies for inexact quantities; I never measure this)

Chicken parts of your choice (I used breasts because that was easiest for me.)
One large zucchini
One smallish eggplant
Two tomatoes
One onion
6-7 cloves of garlic
~1/3 cup green olives with brine.
Two red peppers
ras-el-hanout or any concatenation of the appropriate spices (I used cinnamon, oregano, cumin, and bit of turmeric in my last batch)
Golden raisins (if you want...I don't like raisins, but I imagine they would be good in this.)
Juice of 1 small lemon
Olive oil

Chop all the planty bits. Add a glug of olive oil to the pot, then dump the onions and garlic in first, then the eggplants, then the chicken breasts, then spices, then the rest. I cooked this on Low for nine hours, but you could likely do it in less. Once you get home, open the lid and add the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Stir; the chicken should fall apart if you so much as look at it. Eat it alone or with a side of couscous, rice, bread, and/or yogurt.

You could easily replace the chicken with another meat, I think. Anyways. I like it!

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Fo3 posted:

I just made this and it turned out fantastic.
Though I substituted lamb for the chicken breast, also I used carrot instead of eggplant and zuchinni.
Like you I used my own spice mix, using the same but adding ginger, chilli and ground coriander.
Didn't have any olives so I skipped them.

Rad! I'm gonna try yours next, if I can find lamb!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Salsa chicken, but with kimchi instead of salsa.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Don't put chicken in crockpots.

Don't tell me how to live my life!

fake edit: I know, I know, but sometimes you just gotta do poo poo that's inadvisable. And it honestly tasted pretty good.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

not_superiority posted:

How long would you cook this abomination? It sounds delicious.

I would say probably no more than six hours if you can help it, but I've done it for eight on low and it was all right. However long you're meant to put it in for the salsa chicken recipe posted earlier.

As a recovering vegetarian, chicken is the most daunting meat for me to cook and handle because I'm always terrified of not cooking it enough. I actually like the shredded texture the slow cooker gives chicken, and I like it because I'm like :byodame: IT'S SAFE TO EAT!!!!!!!!!!

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

coyo7e posted:

It's pretty rare to get sick off chicken if you actually try to cook it at all, and believe me I've eaten so horrifically undercooked chicken.

All you really need to do is check the meat close to the bone - if it's still oozing red, it's possibly undercooked.

I mean I err on the side of caution however I've also eaten a lot of badly cooked chicken (half frozen thighs tossed onto a BBQ kind of undercooked) and never gotten ill in my entire life from it.

But chicken is still gross and dirty, and if you put it in a crock it will be fully cooked because you are aiming for that "falls apart into meat fibers" texture if you put chicken into a crockpot (some bbq and mustard etc makes for some wicked pulled chicken sandwich meat)

Thank you for letting me peep these chickentips!

I err on the side of extreme caution because a) I am idiot as explained above, and b) Since I live in China, I'm extremely wary about food safety in my house (because there isn't much I can do outside the house.) So far, I've only had food poisoning twice, and once was my fault, so I feel like I'm doing okay.

not_superiority posted:

Get a meat thermometer and try roasting a whole fryer, that's where the magic is!

This ooks me less than chicken breasts out of the package. Dunno why. :stare: But I agree, roasting a whole chicken is the greatest thing ever and they really should have taught me that in Home Ec, rather than how to make doughnuts or whatever stupid poo poo we did.

• Locked thread