Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
When to use a crock pot:
Ever had a braise, stew or curry cooked in the oven or on a stovetop that was good, and thought the re-heated leftovers the next day tasted even better?
That's when you use a crockpot in the first place, for even betterer.
For some simpler flavour combination stews I prefer oven braising or a pressure cooker, eg simple things like lamb in stock, ham hocks, pork in milk, bean dishes and home made stock.
But beef in beer (bastard carbonnade) , beef in red wine (bastard boeuf bourguignon), chili and Indian lamb curries are especially better in a crockpot as they have complex flavours that get better with age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I just made this and it turned out fantastic.
Though I substituted lamb for the chicken breast, also I used carrot instead of eggplant and zuchinni.
Like you I used my own spice mix, using the same but adding ginger, chilli and ground coriander.
Didn't have any olives so I skipped them.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Also works OK with beef though you'd skip the lemon and raisins or any "fruity" ingredient.

Beef recipe:
Do goons like coconut and dry malaysian beef dishes?
Can't say how long you can cook this one, ~7hrs works but can't leave it unmonitored because it's going to end up dry, maybe too dry.
Can chuck in a diced potato or two about 3hrs before serve time (handy if you add too much tamarind concentrate like I did last time I cooked this (added 1 Tbsp and was too sour. Tamarind concentrate like I have is a lot stronger than tamarind puree that recipes call for), and adding the potato helped with the sourness and worked well in stretching out the serves anyway)

Beef rendang slow cook

Ingredients
700g-1kg chuck/stew beef, cut into 3 cm cubes
1 cup (90 g) unsweetened desiccated coconut, or fresh grated if you're lucky/not a poor
250 ml (1 cup) coconut milk (freeze the rest for a thai curry or something later)
125 ml (½ cup) water
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves or 1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 star anise pods
3 cardamom pods
2 tsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp palm sugar
1-2 tsp tamarind paste concentrate (optional – really recommended; or less concentrated puree 1 Tbsp, or even 1/4 cup strained pulp if not a poor)
1–2 tbsp thick dark soy sauce (optional)
1/2 tsp salt

Spice paste:
3-6 dried long chillies, soaked in hot water until soft (cutting/deseeding optional)
5 shallots (meh, I used 2 small-med red/spanish onions, diced)
5 garlic cloves, finely diced or crushed
3 cm piece of ginger, chopped
3cm peice galangal
2 white parts of lemongrass*
3Tbs- 4 Tbsp Malaysian rendang or "meat" curry powder

Directions:

Add the spice paste ingredients together and mix/grind/blend into a paste (using some of the chilli soaking water to help it mix), set aside.
Lightly dry toast the coconut, set aside.
Heat oil in a pan, brown the beef (in batches if necessary to get them brown but not overcooked) and remove
Fry the cinnamon, cloves, star anise and cardamom and then return beef to the pan.
Add the mixed spice paste ingredients and further fry.
Add the coconut milk, optional tamarind and some of the 1/2 cup water if needed, stir to mix. Add the ground coconut, fish sauce and sugar, stirring to blend

Simmer 2-4 hrs until tender, or transfer to a preheated slow cooker on low 7hrs and the sauce has dried up. Pull out the cinnamon stick and fish out cloves, star anise any cardamom pods you can easily find. Add soy sauce just before serving (optional. Don't use a sweet soy like a kecap manis, a less sweet Thai dark soy is OK imo)

Notes: I'm lazy and didn't get fresh lemongrass and galangal, but I had a locally made curry powder that has it in there. Look for a Malaysian curry powder with them, go without or use fresh I guess.

You have to like coconut a lot to make this, and you need the chilli heat and tamarind sourness to balance the sweetness of coconut IMO

For a quick, simpler Malay beef dish look up "black beef nasi kandar"

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 30, 2016

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, I think I did a pork shoulder crock pot recipe that was OK. I think it was the same one but if it isn't it's similar, ie rub the meat in salt and spices, then cover in brown sugar, lay on a bed of onions with some vinegar, worcestershire and stock. Cook until you can pull it.
Reduce liquid until it's a BBQ sauce consistency.

Doing a lamb slow cook meal right now, slightly different to any Indian korma curry or morrocan style. More basic, uses chops instead of diced shoulder, uses less spices, more vinegar/wine and tomato/western tastes.
As usual lamb or particularly lamb fat is strong in flavour, needs something acidic to cut through it. With my korma I use greek style yogurt, with my morocan style I use orange and fennel and other dried fruits. With this one I use lentils on the side with a vinaigrette or plenty of lemon.

I'm cooking it right now for the first time using a slow cooker, I normally cook it in the oven for 1.5hr. Last night I was even going to have a go cooking it in a pressure cooker for the first time, but I went to bed sick and skipped dinner. Just in case I feel like poo poo again this evening I thought I may as well give it a go in the slow cooker so at least someone may get a meal tonight - they've only got to roast some butternut squash/pumpkin and an onion to finish the lentil sides.

Braised lamb forequarter chops

Ingredients:
4 chops (1 per serve) up to 8 chops (2 per serve) - These chops are going to be tender and fall off the bone into 2 pieces each easily, so IMO 6 chops plenty to serve 4 people..
2 onions, sliced radially
4 cloves garlic, sliced
2 carrots, roughly chopped
½ cup red wine or 2 Tblsp red wine vinegar
2 cups chicken, vegetable or beef stock. Beef is better if using red wine, chicken OK with red wine vinegar
¼ cup (approx) flour
2 sprigs rosemary
3 sprigs thyme
½ cup tomato passata/strained tomatoes, or 2 Tblsp paste
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 cinnamon sticks
2 bay leaves
optional cardamom pod
oil as needed
salt and pepper

Directions;
season flour

Heat up fry pan to med heat
Stand up chops with two tongs as a group on their fatty side in the fry pan to render fat off .
Once most fat rendered off, remove from pan and lay out into a board.
Dust seasoned flour over one side and turn over, dust again.

Turn fry pan heat to high. Fry chops off two at a time for 30sec each side until slightly browned, and set aside each one until all done.
If pan has burned flour then rinse and clean/re-oil

Fry onion, garlic and carrot in fry pan until softened/coloured.

Add tomato pasata/paste and sugar, then wine/vinegar, cook stirring 2min.

Deglaze pan with stock, add 1/2 -1 t salt (less if using salted stock), 1/2 tsp pepper, add rosemary sprigs , bay leaves and cinnamon, return chops to mix.

Transfer into dutch oven and cook 1.5-2hrs in the oven or put in preheated slow cooker for 7 hrs on low. (E; I still haven't worked out the pressure cook time, the internet said 10-12 min but I think that's way too short to have the meat falling off the bone like 1.5hr in the oven does. Any goons know?)

Remove meat from dish, remove bay leaves, rosemary and thyme sprig stems and cinnamon stick.

Reduce liquid/sauce in a frypan until thickened (optional - add a roux or cornflour slurry if needed)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 22, 2016

• Locked thread