Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Dr Cox MD posted:

Chicken breasts (however many you have) + Salsa to cover (usually two jars).

Ah, there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Things that will turn out like total poo poo in a crockpot: ... anything with canned cream soup or packets of onion soup mix

I'll chime in and add jars of salsa (with 8 hour chicken breast).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Anne Whateley posted:

The slow cooker is a tool like any other. There are things it does well and things it doesn't do well. There are plenty of good recipes you can make with it

Can you list 3 that haven't already been shared ITT? Anything you are cooking in a crock pot can just be done on the stove or in the oven with a pot or dutch oven. I can even save the number of dishes I create by browning the beef chuck in my dutch oven prior to braising it for pot roast; -1 thing to wash.

As already pointed out, it's a tool for keeping food warm at potlucks.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 13, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Go ahead and share the ones you think require a crock pot. The first result for Kenji was making tomato sauce in a dutch oven.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

psychokitty posted:

In addition, I hope you are aware that people can brown things AND THEN put them into slow cookers, right???

I hope you are aware that you didn't read his post, right???

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

BedBuglet posted:

Also, if you're looking to do advanced crockpot cooking...
Yes, I know it's not nearly as good as a real sous vide but some of us are poor.

You can get an Anova for like $130 when they're on sale, which is pretty regularly. The days of $500 immersion circulators being necessary are over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Pork Loin is lean and benefits from high heat dry air roasting (or svizzling) rather than low and slow, right?

• Locked thread