Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
Or try this if you like rubbery chicken...

http://www.theleangreenbean.com/crockpot-rotisserie-chicken/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Split pea soup with ham hocks, garlic, and bundles of herbs is very good in a crock pot. That's my only contribution to this thread, hope you enjoyed it.

In my experience split pea soup cooks pretty quickly, ~1 hour or so. Unless you just want to really let the hocks stew in there or start with boiling water I don't see the advantage of the crock pot for it.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
Once I have 2 chicken carcasses in the freezer I'll use my slow cooker to slowly boil them plus a bunch of frozen celery tops and carrot tops and onion ends and whatever garlic I have on hand for a few days.

I like it when you go to stir it after a day or so and all the bones have fallen apart and congregated at the bottom so when you stir it the heat hits the liquid and there is a rush of bubbles. I just add water whenever it gets to the half full point and continue boiling if it hasn't been at least 3 days.

On the negative side, the splash up from the glass lid bubbling away has led to the inside of the crock pot(the heating element part) becoming coated in a toasty brown chicken fat half burned paint. It flakes off easy enough and it never gets hot enough to ignite but it does throw off a smell of hot chicken fat when I'm making stock.

Its rewarding when you're done and you strain out all the bones and meat bits and whatever is left of the vegetables and after a day in the fridge its like a savory gelatin, stiff and spreadable like.. day old gravy. I partition it into 2 cup portions in ziplocks and freeze them for beans or soup or something. There is never enough.

I have, next to my cassette tape walkman/signed ticket stub/signed cd case tribute to Victor Wooten(and obsolete technology), a pile of all the wishbones from all the chicken's I've cooked since I decided that cooking whole chickens was a thing I was going to do. I mention this because I store my crock pot next to it when it isn't being used to make beans or stock. If it starts to attract bugs I'll get rid of it but I kind of like a little pile of superstitious bones in my kitchen.

• Locked thread