Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Pollyanna posted:

So that one post on the first page regarding boneless country style pork ribs is bunk or something? Aren't ribs slow cooked anyway? I'm confused, I thought this forum had a massive erection for slow cookers.

If crock pots aren't good for making food, what are they useful for? I've successfully(?) made beef pot roast in mine so I'm not convinced it's totally useless, but I lack opinions of my own, so maybe I'm wrong.

SA has a boner for crockpots because it is full of whiny, lazy manchildren. GWS is not a fan of crockpots because we actually have standards about food.

Crockpots are good for one thing: braising. So stews, pot roast, stuff with tough cuts of meat that need a lot of cooking time to become tender. That's it. Things that will turn out like total poo poo in a crockpot: lasagne, cake, bread, "stir fry," chicken breasts for 8 hours, "fajitas," anything with canned cream soup or packets of onion soup mix, just about any green vegetable cooked for longer than 30 minutes, etc.

I use mine more than most people here probably, and then it's only for generic pulled pork, shredded beef for sandwiches, sometimes beef stew (though it's infinitely better in the oven), Sunday gravy. Also for keeping stuff hot for potlucks/parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ranter posted:

I'll chime in and add jars of salsa (with 8 hour chicken breast).

Yes, "salsa chicken" with jarred crap and chicken breasts cooked for 8 hours is terrible. But, you can make something tasty with chicken thighs, cooked until they just shred (usually just a couple hours at most, depends on your crockpot though) with things like fresh veg, chipotles, dried chiles, etc. I've done it with a roasted tomatillo, pasilla and morita salsa I can and it's delicious. As usual, you just have to use good ingredients and not cook it to death. But those are the rules for everything in the crockpot.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Theophany posted:

I find pulled pork in a crock pot comes out wet and lovely. It doesn't take any longer or any more effort to do it in a cast iron pot in the oven and has the added bonus of not having those wet and slimy characteristics.

I will admit to making jambalaya in a crock pot though if I'm at work all day. Rice, chicken stock, chicken thighs, andouille/chorizo and trinity for 8 hours on low. For the last 15-20 minutes add the frozen raw seafood of your choice (I usually go king prawns, but crawfish is probably more authentic) and they'll be just right when the pot switches off.

I'm unemployed right now and am not a mid-western, food blogging, stay at home mom with a crippling alcohol problem, so have precisely zero excuses to use a crock pot.

Wait, you won't braise meat in a crockpot, but you'll cook rice in it for 8 hours? You got your poo poo backwards.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Theophany posted:

Is the whole sugar and pork shoulder thing really that good? I can't get over those recipes that say coke or dr. pepper when it comes to a ham, so putting sugar on meat just doesn't compute to me. I can't get over my hangup that sweet and savoury don't belong together. :negative:

Do you like bottled BBQ sauce or BBQ sauces at fast food places? They're like 30% sugar or something. If you put BBQ sauce on pork, you've already done the sugar+pork thing. Besides, in this recipe, the sugar essentially just helps make the delicious liquid in the pot. De-fat it and make an amazing BBQ sauce with it for the pork.

• Locked thread