Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Also if you do thighs instead of breasts you'll end up with a much more flavorful shredded chicken that doesn't feel like tough string

My pork butt recipe is as follows, I used to do bbq pulled pork but now I just make tacos with them (onion/cilantro/salt/lime on corn tortillas)

~2-3 lbs porkbutt
1-2 jalapenos, diced
1 medium onion, diced
4-6 cloves of garlics, I leave them whole because it just breaks down and gets mashed, you can chop or dice if you want
oregano (maybe a tsp? gently caress I don't know I never measure my spices, just kinda go with what works)
cumin
couple of tsp of salt (once again I'm hosed on measurements, wing it)
a few squirts of whataburger brand spicy ketchup OR a small can of tomato paste
a beer (I really prefer lagers for this, I don't like the dark stouts and stuff in it)
enough stock/water to cover the porkbutt

cook that poo poo on low for 8 hours, pull it out (seriously all of it, the onions and jalapenos too, just leave the juice in the crock pot), shred it, eat the gently caress out of it, and then use the juice in the crock pot for some kind of soup

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Croatoan posted:

I have one and it gets used a good bit but the more I think about it all I use it for are:

Boiled peanuts

And yeah that's about it really.

go on.... :staredog:

e: to clarify I know and love boiled peanuts being from da souf, I just really want to know how you do them in the crock pot

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Super easy. Buy a bag of green peanuts and start them on low. Add salt or seasonings to taste. Come back about 16-24 hours later and they're done. Best part is when they cool I put them in ziplock quart bags and freeze them. That way I have boiled peanuts throughout the winter.

I usually just do them in a pot the regular way but I think I'll probably try this for a much easier time. I had no idea that they freeze well, that's also good to know.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

mindphlux posted:

boiled peanuts are literally the best drinking snack ever

I don't even know why you'd eat peanuts roasted and salted. there are so many better nuts to eat that way - cashews, sunflower seeds, idk

I guess if you like the muddy peanutty flavor sure, roasted peanuts are alright

but boiled peanuts - done correctly (lots of salt, some cajun spice) - are the loving poo poo. chomp into a flaccid shell, squeeze out a rich nut right into your mouth, salty brine going all over the place. I mean goddamn. it's where it's at.

:agreed: I probably use half a shaker of tony chachere's (MP's probably going to call me a loving idiot for this but it's easy enough "cajun seasoning" for me) and nosh the gently caress out of them after a few beers

literally the best beer snack ever and if you think they're gross you haven't had enough beer

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Aishlinn posted:

Crock pot Cake!

Put into crock pot, in this order:

2 cans apple pie filling

1 box spice cake mix

2 sticks butter.

Do not mix ingredients. set on high for 2 hours. enjoy the gooey apple-crumbly goodness.

do it

I want to see you do it

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

mindphlux posted:

crock pots are great at making food! I love food! here is a list of some things that are food :

• precooked walmart packet of short grain uncle bens white rice
  • Doritos
  • spam
  • a can of beans
  • stoffers chicken pot pie
  • hormel beef roast soup
  • some chicken breasts in a slow cooker with pace pecante sauce poured over them
  • boneless country style pork ribs or something that are slow cooked in a slow cooker because you COOK ribs SLOWLY right???

here is a list of other things that are food!

• a salad
  • lightly grilled salmon
  • chicken soup (not out of a can)
  • a quiche
  • lentil salad
  • lamb kofte
  • fried eggs
  • shimp dumplings
  • SOME RIBS YOU ACTUALLY BRINE, DRY RUB, AND LABORIOUSLY SMOKE OVER HARDWOOD (NOT GODDAMNED CHARCOAL) FOR 9 HOURS BECAUSE ITS loving BARBECUE AND YOU DON'T poo poo ON HUNDREDS OF YEARS OF TRADITION AND loving SPIT IN THE POPE'S FACE WHEN HE GREETS YOU, HANDS YOU A DEAD PIG'S CARCASS, SAYS "SON, THIS ANIMAL DIED FOR YOUR SINS, AND I TRUST YOU TO DO THE RIGHT THING, NOT STICK IT IN A loving CROCK POT AND SHRUG AND GO WATCH NET FLICKS EPISODES OF MEAN BOYS WHILE JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF THE GUY/GIRL WHO DUMPED YOU IN 4TH GRADE, PLEASE PROMISE ME IF YOU DO NOTHING ELSE YOU WILL AT LEAST DO THIS AND TREAT THIS ANIMAL CARCASS I HAVE ENDOWED YOU WITH AS A LABOR OF LOVE"

but yeah slow cookers are great at making food. :) :) :)

god drat :thurman:

mindphlux you're my culinary hero

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Kumbamontu posted:

I make chili in my crock pot and it turns out awesome

Also i imagine using a dutch oven in an oven for hours heats up your house and uses much more power than a crock pot does. I do not want my oven on for several hours in the middle of the day in Florida because my AC is already working too hard

well you imagine wrong because you're not gonna blast that thing all day (just when you sear it on the stovetop), and then turn the oven on low because that's how braising works

I do this often enough and I live in Texas so what now :colbert:

also gently caress you for making chili in a crock pot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Pretty sure the lack of liquid is what did it. 1 cup of liquid is not enough to braise a 2 pound pork butt.

• Locked thread