Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009
And why?

Let's define "classic" in this post as pre-1980.

Corvette, Camaro, Mustang and GTO answers are cool but hopefully they don't dominate the thread.

I like the Studebaker Avanti mainly for its styling

I also kinda like late 60s Eldorados for their grille, tail and lights

and the Cord 810 for the early pop ups

it's probably clear at this point that I am a styling dork and know little about classic American stuff, so go ahead and school me in this thread.

blk fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
1969 Dodge Charger preferably with a 440/4speed. Always wanted to have one, its bucket list material just to drive one.

More realistically for me to actually own would be a late 40's or early 50's sedan from any of the big 3. No show queen just something to cruise around on the weekends.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

I'll go ahead and give a cliche answer. I tried to come up with something more unique, but in my heart I know this is the car.

1968 Ford Mustang fastback in dark green with a 390 and a four speed. Inspired by Steve Mcqueen of course, this is the car that if I were told I could only choose one for the rest of my life, this would be it.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
1959 Buick Electra 225

Just for the angry yet beautiful styling it has. The car also looks like it's about to take off into space.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
1955 CHEVYROLET 2-DOOR HARDTOP

Perfect in every way except for no airbags to keep my brain inside of my skull.

http://www.american-muscle-cars.net/1955-chevrolet.html

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.
'66 GTO

(I grew up with this car, it even gave Jim Wangers a ride down the 1/4 mile track once.)

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
It changes all the time but here's a pretty good standby:

I'm partial to Waggy's with the razor grille :3:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm very much a fan of BIG cars as they simply don't exist here in the UK, just huge swathes of metal coasting down the street.

Buick Riviera to me is one of the coolest cars the US has produced.

And this slab-sided beauty is just unreal.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i've always been highly partial to the original, corvette-based concept for the Chevy Nomad

the production, Bel-Air based one was pretty cool too, though

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I think it's a tie between the 4th gen Lincoln Continental convertible, the 1st gen Plymouth Roadrunner w/ the air grabber and the 4th gen Dodge Dart.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

2nd-gen Buick Riviera, by far. Anything else is either foreign (BMW E24, M1, 8 series) or too new to qualify as a classic (Alfa 159, Ford Fusion)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Veeb0rg posted:

Dodge Charger

Sex Weirdo posted:

Ford Mustang fastback

Friar Zucchini posted:

Buick Riviera
Leaving aside some minor generation/year adjustments, pretty much the above, and all based on their presence in pop culture of some form. I accept that in many ways they may be objectively terrible, but they're still iconic.

Oh, you can add the DeLorean, if it counts as "American".

Should anyone choose to mention the GT40 in following posts, sorry, no, it's British, built by Lola. :britain:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's like QI for cars. AC Cobra

*horns blare*

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Carol shelby's presence on the project says gently caress you.

As for myself, I'm partial to the AMC Rebel The Machine and the AMX. The rebel just has that no frills, all purpose gently caress you look that I love. And the AMX is a 2 seat american sports car in the middle of the muscle car craze, whats not to love?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

well i mean if you think about it america was made in great britain so i don't think we can use that to rule anything out

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm not really into Fords, but in the 50s they made one of the most American of American cars. I would love to have one.

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Sex Weirdo posted:

I'll go ahead and give a cliche answer. I tried to come up with something more unique, but in my heart I know this is the car.

1968 Ford Mustang fastback in dark green with a 390 and a four speed. Inspired by Steve Mcqueen of course, this is the car that if I were told I could only choose one for the rest of my life, this would be it.

So close. For me, it's the 1970 Mach 1 fastback, in this color:

Just a little sleeker than the '68 and '69 editions, and I love the chrome package.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Elmnt80 posted:

As for myself, I'm partial to the AMC Rebel The Machine and the AMX. The rebel just has that no frills, all purpose gently caress you look that I love. And the AMX is a 2 seat american sports car in the middle of the muscle car craze, whats not to love?

I love AMCs and I'd love to get my mitts on a Machine. Keep the AMXs and Javelins, I want bargain basement speed. And it doesn't get more bargain basement than Rebels and Ramblers.
SCRamblers are cool too, but my heart lies with The Machine.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sex Weirdo posted:

Why the '68? The Bullitt car was a '67, and I think the '67 looks better. No side marker lights, and the vent on the side is different.
Edit: Actually, I'm wrong. Bullitt car was a '68. Still think the '67 looks a little bit better.

For me, it's the Javelin or AMX. For some reason I'm partial to the second generation, especially the '71.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I love AMCs and I'd love to get my mitts on a Machine. Keep the AMXs and Javelins, I want bargain basement speed. And it doesn't get more bargain basement than Rebels and Ramblers.
SCRamblers are cool too, but my heart lies with The Machine.

Really the cars that I like from the 60's and 70's tend to be economy cars, family cars or the budget/off-brand muscle cars. The maverick, dart/valiant, duster, nova, galaxy, rebel, etc.

Also, 74 Javelin, best javelin. Though if I was given a choice between a javelin and an AMX, I'd probably pick the amx, immediatly regret it and just go find a 2 door hardtop rebel to even trade someone. Then paint it satin black.

Edit:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 26, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There are so many 50s and 60s, and even a few 70s American cars that I love, but my favourites are the early 60s Chevys.

Like this '62 Bel Air: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/05/11/super-low-mileage-409409-bel-air-headed-to-auction/

And of course the '64 Impala http://auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=FL10&ID=r145

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
'62 dodge dart for sure. Just fantastic out of the ordinary lines on that car.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
1968 Hurst/Olds

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

open24hours posted:

There are so many 50s and 60s, and even a few 70s American cars that I love, but my favourites are the early 60s Chevys.

Like this '62 Bel Air: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/05/11/super-low-mileage-409409-bel-air-headed-to-auction/

And of course the '64 Impala http://auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=FL10&ID=r145

I really like the cut of your jib. My favorite american car is the 1970 c10. Lines and class and now you can shove whatever sized chevy motor in them. You could back then as well.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

InitialDave posted:

Should anyone choose to mention the GT40 in following posts, sorry, no, it's British, built by Lola. :britain:

The ones that didn't win are. The Mark IV's have a chassis designed by Ford and built by Kar Kraft

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

SouthsideSaint posted:

I really like the cut of your jib. My favorite american car is the 1970 c10. Lines and class and now you can shove whatever sized chevy motor in them. You could back then as well.

Good call, although I prefer the '71-'72:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

VikingSkull posted:

The ones that didn't win are. The Mark IV's have a chassis designed by Ford and built by Kar Kraft
I didn't know it was Kar Kraft, but yeah. Though in fairness, they were winning stuff with the earlier cars too.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

InitialDave posted:

I didn't know it was Kar Kraft, but yeah. Though in fairness, they were winning stuff with the earlier cars too.

Yeah, they did win some stuff with the I's and II's. III's were the street car, and there was a chassis called the "J-Car" that they developed and won quite a bit with in 1966. In 1967 the J-car had evolved into an open top concept to compete in Can-Am and it crashed during testing, killing test driver Ken Miles. The J-Car was also the foundation of the Mark IV's, with Dan Gurney and AJ Foyt winning Le Mans that year.

So in 1967 you had American everything, including the drivers, and loving AJ (who had never been to Le Mans before that year) got out after taking the checkered and called it a country road. Goddamn.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 27, 2016

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Rhino-grilled J trucks,
V2500 suburbans from the 60s through 80s,
69-70 caddy hearse.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

1965-70 Pontiac Catalina, especially the wagons.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

If I didn't care about sheer, raw performance, the '70 Superbird takes it for me. To me a lot of muscle cars try to look sedate, or at least moderately practical. The Superbird takes that and throws it out the loving window with it's nose and fuckoff huge wing and I love it for that.

For raw fun factor though? GT40. I guess I have a thing for street versions of race cars.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The 1970 Buick GSX.

Or, well...

3rd gen GM C-series trucks. I unironically love the boxy, ugly look.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Dodge Dart Wagon, everything is just right.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

1959 Chevy Bel Air. Just look at those fins!

But really, anything that's big and boaty and ostentatious. So basically most cars from the 50s and 60s.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

rndmnmbr posted:

The 1970 Buick GSX.

We have a customer with one in that exact yellow that comes up from time to time. He just drives it for the hell of it somedays, including trips to the grocery store, wal-mart and random errands. Dude just loves cruising around in his buick. :kimchi:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Elmnt80 posted:

We have a customer with one in that exact yellow that comes up from time to time. He just drives it for the hell of it somedays, including trips to the grocery store, wal-mart and random errands. Dude just loves cruising around in his buick. :kimchi:

I'm pretty sure that was either the only color option or one of very few options. I think maybe white was the other choice.

Either way, quite the car to show up in when you tell people you drive a Buick.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've been lucky enough to own basically my dream car (wrong drivetrain, but even a 327 is fun!) since 2008.

The '69 Camaro is my other generic answer.

But what I'd really love to find is a 68-70 Chevelle.

or

Quad headlights = best headlights.

But in all seriousness I never intend to own another "original" example of any classic car. It's too loving expensive to keep it that way. I'd rather have a restomod project where I can actually buy parts at the local store instead of paying top dollar from one of three online retailers that overcharge shipping by 10x and set the price wherever the sole manufacturer says. Why yes, I 'd love to pay almost $50 ($12 for shipping!) for an oil filter bypass valve that would've been $8 in a normal store and didn't cost more than $5 to ship. And it takes a week for everything to arrive. Half the loving summer is spent waiting on parts to arrive or scrounging every store in town for CJ4 spec oil.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Godholio posted:

But what I'd really love to find is a 68-70 Chevelle.

But in all seriousness I never intend to own another "original" example of any classic car. It's too loving expensive to keep it that way. I'd rather have a restomod project where I can actually buy parts at the local store instead of paying top dollar from one of three online retailers that overcharge shipping by 10x and set the price wherever the sole manufacturer says. Why yes, I 'd love to pay almost $50 ($12 for shipping!) for an oil filter bypass valve that would've been $8 in a normal store and didn't cost more than $5 to ship. And it takes a week for everything to arrive. Half the loving summer is spent waiting on parts to arrive or scrounging every store in town for CJ4 spec oil.

Hello, friend!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

On looks alone I'm a big fan of the 1970 super bee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Toronado!

• Locked thread